iphone 2 suggestions...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zed888, Nov 26, 2007.

1. zed888 macrumors newbie

i really hope someone influential at apple reads this, as i say this not only on my own behalf, but also on behalf of others that have considered buying the iphone but have been discouraged from doing so. if apple can incorporate the following into a future version of the iphone i would be first in the queue to buy, becuse as it currently stands the iphone asks for too many compromises for me to justify. i would like:

1) 3G + wi fi
    2) a substantially improved camera (5 megapixel?) with autofocus/ flash
    3) the ability to record video clips on it at 30 fps
    4) GPS for satnav
    5) in-built radio (FM and DAB digital radio) with ability to recored radio on to the phone
    6)replaceable battery and SIM
    7) the ability to upgrade the memory with a memory card + more internal storage (16GB?)
    8) the ability to customise the interface as you wish (wallpapers, icons?), and be able to use the songs you have saved on this phone as your ringtone. also the ability to change the icon shortcuts.
    9) the opportunity to buy an unlocked iphone
    10) the option for haptic (vibrating) feedback when you press a virtual key, so you know you've pressed a key
    11) a hard button for the camera + hardbutton for camera zoom
    12) longer battery life
    13)standard headjack so you can use your own headphones
    14)voice memo recorder

i only ask for things that are currently available in other top-end phones, and i would be prepared to pay more for a premium phone with all of the above. all i ask is for the iphone to be able to fully compete with the best out there.

an iphone with all the above would be my ultimate dream phone...:(

2. cjandnw macrumors 6502

You forgot All-Wheel Drive:D

3. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

Of all the things you listed there are only a few that I actually would want. I would like to see 3G, customizable interface, GPS, an improved camera, and longer battery life on iPhone 2. Some features, such as radio are pointless to me, especially when your phone has a built in iPod. I also don't think you are going to be seeing an unlocked version any time soon because of the exclusive multi-year deal with AT&T. I feel that Apple is looking beyond what is currently available on other cell phones when it comes to developing iPhone 2. It is unlike Apple to try to replicate what is already available. Instead they like to look at what is already available and how they can improve it or what they can develop that is even better. The next iPhone will have features not currently available on other phones.

4. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

5. zed888 thread starter macrumors newbie

heard of something called the nokia n95? lg viewty? sony ericsson p3i? blackberry?

6. Sin macrumors regular

Also could use one of those pointy things for getting stones out of horses hooves.

I caved and ordered one today, after finally getting a straight answer out of O2... I imagine a new model will now arrive just after any period in which I could reasonably return it for a refund expires.

7. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

No, and doesn't that tell you something?

Have you used a Blackberry? It's not comparable to an iPhone. Build, how it works etc.

When Apple go to version 2.x of the firmware and release an SDK things will change. Until then be patient.

8. ibwb macrumors regular

It's pointless to ask for a better camera or flash on the iPhone. The device is already the perfect size and the internals are completely full, mostly with the screen and battery. Nothing larger is going to fit, and good cameras inherently take up space.

9. FunkyJunk macrumors regular

FunkyJunk

True dat. My wife had one for a while (real estate agent) and I played with it for a bit. What a horrible user experience that is. Scroll wheel? Ugh.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This imaginary device would bring new meaning to the term "bricked iPhone."

I think fitting all this in something twice the size of the current phone would be a challenge!

11. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

My wife has a Blackberry too. It's very shoddily made. The interface is just about usable. Some people love them though, I'll stick with this iPhone thanks.

12. earthsick macrumors regular

Can we PLEASE just stop with these threads. We all want the same things in the next gen iPhone and they will be there one day. Posting 10 new threads a day of "next iphone wishlist" or "iPhone 2 needs this..." is not going to make these things come to fruition any faster.

13. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Basically you want a 3G N95 in the body of an iPhone.

14. Daeve macrumors member

I'm glad you have confidence they will be there one day... I'm not quite so confident (though I am hopeful) as the generation 1 phone has been out almost 6 months and lacks a lot of basic functions other (smart)phones have had for years (copy/paste, mutiple sms recipients, mms etc) - supposedly easy firmware updates, but they have not appeared yet.

Apple are great at looking ahead and beyond - but first they have to replicate what is in current phones, before they add innovative new things. They almost managed it with the iphone - maybe an 90% hit (great interface, great design, great features) but it still lacks a few basics that are in other older phones that would make most people happier.

Fingers crossed Apple gives updates soon because they want to improve the phone, not slowly in trickles because they just want to annoy the unlockers.

15. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

Get an Nokia N95.

16. SRSound macrumors 6502

If youre more interested in feature set then usability, iPhone is not for you (yet). I think that will all change come February, though...

17. ZManChu macrumors newbie

picture messaging! thats all i want! i still cant believe they have not updated the phone to support this yet.

18. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I want a feature that will block out any iPhone 3 conversations until at least 9 months have passed.

19. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

that list is ridiculous:eek:. no way to see that within the next three years if ever.

realistically i think/hope:

8) the ability to customise the interface as you wish (wallpapers, icons?), and be able to use the songs you have saved on this phone as your ringtone. also the ability to change the icon shortcuts.
    9) the opportunity to buy an unlocked iphone = already possible
    12) longer battery life
    14)voice memo recorder (as third party app.)

i would like to see a user replacable battery but i have no hope for that.

i think the iphone will be smaller (like the touch) rather than getting more memory.

3G + wi fi will happen but not before end of 2008 or even later

the other function i think are not important for most customers. and apples strategy is "keep it simple". for example the ipod's just to keep them simple still have no radio and no replacable battery.

when do you expect this iphone 2?

20. stekerrod macrumors regular

15)wakes me up in the morning with breakfast made
    16)does my uni work for me
    17)does the cleaning
    18)you can see where im going with this

id be happy with more storage and flash/java on the web browser and MMS would be nice but that's really it

i know nothing about the internals of the iPhone but i doubt if you'd ever get all that in!

21. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

:)

And on that note I'm ignoring these types of threads from now on.

22. 210 macrumors regular

I Wish

That will never happen. As somone else pointed out, it has an iPod in it. Also, it would not encourage people to buy songs from the iTunes Store, especially if they can record radio. Granted, there's news, etc. but Apple will just push podcasts to get them.

23. earthsick macrumors regular

You are comparing the iPhone to devices with physical buttons that make things like copy/paste easier. There has never been a phone that is 100% touch like the iPhone. I am pretty sure the reason this function is "missing" is because Apple has yet to create a practical way to implement it. This may not be an easy software fix. Any way, call me crazy, but the copy/paste complaint is ridiculous in my opinion as I have never been on the go saying "man, if only my phone could copy and paste this block of text".

And as far as being confident the new features will be added, it is simply common sense. If someone told you in 2001 that the iPod would be huge 6+ years from now and boast features such as video, color screen, 160gb, and be amazingly thin and light, you would have laughed at them. Apple cant fix EVERYTHING with software, because then no one would buy iPhone version 2. So will you get new features? Yeah, when Apple decides you have enough money for a new phone.

24. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I need this all the time. Like when I'm posting here and I re-arrange this quote.

Do you have an iPhone and do you use it for stuff other than the phone? I do and I love it but it is an odd omission. However, your point about it being non-straightforward to implement is taken. I agree on that.

You do realise iPhone v2 is likely the same hardware (maybe 16GB) but with a completely overhauled and revamped firmware. The sandboxing alone is likely to change the whole way things work. This means you don't alienate your current customers as they get v2 too. If played correctly this is a very neat strategy.

25. rayward macrumors 68000

I have a BB 8700c for work; I love how it keeps current with my inbox and sent box. Everything else, keyboard included, is a horror story compared to the iPhone.