Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sol008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
i have jailbroken my iphone 2g firmware 2.2.1 using quickpwn but the phone for some reason is not unlocked. i am trying to use a vodafone (india) sim card and my phone does not show any network or carrier. can anyone help me unlock my phone?

thanks

mesamac

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2008
For iPhone 2.2.1 Firmware, you can't unlock SIM card. You can only Jailbreak.

2.2.1 firmware upgrades baseband and you can't unlock SIM card.

i have jailbroken my iphone 2g firmware 2.2.1 using quickpwn but the phone for some reason is not unlocked. i am trying to use a vodafone (india) sim card and my phone does not show any network or carrier. can anyone help me unlock my phone?

thanks

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

thanks

Mainly because the 1st Gen iPhone doesn't need a SIM card approach unlock. All you need is Pwnage Tool and Boot Neuter.

Instructions and information are on the stickies on the top of this forum. Better yet, Click Me

sol008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Still cannot unlock iphone 2g firmware 2.2.1

I looked at the stickies and could not find my answer there. below is what i did:

I have a iphone 2g phone with 2.2.1 firmware already installed on it.

--I used quick pwn for mac (version 2.2.5-2) to unlock and jailbreak the phone. after this process, the phone only jailbroke and did not unlock the phone. even though i inserted my sim card (vodafone) in the phone, it does not read it on my phone.

--I then tried using Pwnage (version 2.2.5-2) and during the stage when it asks to browse for ipsw, i tried to open the file but for some reason it cannot read the ipsw (iphone1,1_2.2.1_5H11_Restore.ipsw). Pwnage says "wrong firmware bundle selected.) this is where i get stuck when i use Pwnage to try to unlock the iphone.

any insights on how to tackle this problem?

Thanks

dionline

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2009
Still cannot unlock iphone 2g firmware 2.2.1

For iPhone 2.2.1 Firmware, you can't unlock SIM card. You can only Jailbreak.

2.2.1 firmware upgrades baseband and you can't unlock SIM card.

Hi Mesamac, I'm in the situation: I have a 2G iPhone running a 2.2.1 jailbroken firmware (I used Pwnage) but the phone is locked..

On your previous message you said that 2.2.1 cannot be unlocked. How do I workaround this? Do I have to downgrade to 2.2.0 and then use Bootnueter via Cydia?

Thank you very much.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I looked at the stickies and could not find my answer there. below is what i did:

I have a iphone 2g phone with 2.2.1 firmware already installed on it.

--I used quick pwn for mac (version 2.2.5-2) to unlock and jailbreak the phone. after this process, the phone only jailbroke and did not unlock the phone. even though i inserted my sim card (vodafone) in the phone, it does not read it on my phone.

--I then tried using Pwnage (version 2.2.5-2) and during the stage when it asks to browse for ipsw, i tried to open the file but for some reason it cannot read the ipsw (iphone1,1_2.2.1_5H11_Restore.ipsw). Pwnage says "wrong firmware bundle selected.) this is where i get stuck when i use Pwnage to try to unlock the iphone.

any insights on how to tackle this problem?

Thanks

Wrong firmware bundle errors in Pwnage mean that either you selected a 3G firmware for a 2G or vice-versa.

The firmware tells you what you are targeting. iPhone1,2_blahblahblah.... is iPhone 3G.

iPhone1,1_blahblah... is 1st Gen.

Also, be wary. Pwnage doesn't read an already modified firmware so might want to check on that also that you have a stock .ipsw from Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.