Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2009
Hey everyone,

I have a question regarding a certain iPhone 2G that I have.

I typed in the serial number into two separate sites, and in both cases, found out that it was manufactured in February of 2009 even though this model was discontinued in the summer of 2008!

From one of the two:
aantalip: 1
Serial number: ------
Name: Apple iPhone
Model: MA712 iPhone 8GB
Family name: A1203
Family name: A1203
Screen size: 3.5 inch
Screen resolution: 320x240 pixels
Colour: Silver
Capacity: 8GB
Memory - number of slots: Please tell us how many memory (RAM) slots this machine has.
Factory: 5K (China)
URL: Technical specifications by apple-history.com code_to_number: 40M -

Model introduced: 2007
Production year: 2009
Production week: 05 (February)
Production number: 4645 (within this week)
Uitbreidingen: Uitbreidingsmogelijkheden van dit apparaat

Can anyone explain this? Comparing this particular iPhone to another one I have on hand, the screen looks much brighter and warmer.

Thanks!

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Hey everyone,

I have a question regarding a certain iPhone 2G that I have.

I typed in the serial number into two separate sites, and in both cases, found out that it was manufactured in February of 2009 even though this model was discontinued in the summer of 2008!

From one of the two:

Can anyone explain this? Comparing this particular iPhone to another one I have on hand, the screen looks much brighter and warmer.

Thanks!

Is the iPhone you have an Apple Care replacement unit? If so, that's why. For Apple its easier to give you a new one rather than fix your broken iPhone.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2009
Oh okay, thanks for all the help! That makes sense now. If I were to guess then, I would say the warmer screen is due to the fact that it has one of the 3G/3GS screens instead of the original on the 2G.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2009
Reporting in again, I have some more surprising results.

In a side by side speed test, it seems the 2009 one is consistently faster than my other one, which was manufactured in late 2007.

Very curious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.