Iphone 2g or 3gs?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by won870728, Oct 1, 2009.

1. won870728 macrumors newbie

hi guys
    I'm trying to get an Iphone...
    im currently using ATT and i can upgrade to iphone..
    but here is the thing,

-my phone is not working so I need a PHONE
    -I wish I can wait until next iphone...
    -I need to check my email along the road
    -1st generation Iphones are about $200 and I do not need contract
    -iphone 3gs is also $200 but with contract
    -I live in city area

do you think 1st generation is a reasonable choice?
    or should I just get 3gs?
    Im hesitating 3gs just because there might be change in design next June;;-_-

2. HE15MAN macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

It only cost's a little more to go first class. I dunno I myself couldnt go to a 2g and be happy. But if it is all you would know, the cost savings would probably be worth it. But having had a 3G since their launch date I am not sure I would be able to be ok with a 2G.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

If its your first iPhone contact and you need something relatively cheap and not the latest, the 2G will be fine.

However, you won't be able to MMS. But if you are willing to get the latest, you still won't be disappointed.

4. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

You also save 240 over 2 years by going with a 2G. 3GS data costs 10$ more than 2G. Keep that in mind.

5. .:R2theT macrumors 6502

I have had the 1st gen. iPhone for almost 2 years and I am still more than happy. My only issue is that mine is only 8 GB. I wish I had waited a few more months and got the 16 GB. And if you do go 1st. gen. that would be my suggestion.

EDGE is much slower than 3G for sure. But it works fine for all my on the fly email needs and the light amount of browsing I do when I am out and about.

I am pretty sure I will be upgrading next year. I would love 64 GB but my main want is a much improved battery life. That is one of the chief complaints I have heard from both 3G and 3GS users.

I say wait. If you are going to get into a contract that costs you $30/month just for data(texts are extra keep in mind!) you will want it to be something you can be happy with for several years. Even if you buy a 1st. gen. for $200 you will be able to recoup that next year by selling it.

6. pablo7 macrumors 6502

MMS is a fu.cken waste of time just get a 2g and upgrade in june.....:apple:

7. won870728 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I think for your needs, that is the best course of action.
    You're welcome, and welcome to the forums.