Iphone 2G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jmouse, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Jmouse macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

I still have one of this bad boy laying around. Any idea what to do with it?

Dont think anyone would wanna buy this classic.

Anyone doing anything interesting on their old iphone 2gs?

Do tell!?

Cheers

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

My gf used it for a while when I had my 3G, now it's just hanging out with me on the 4 and her on the 3G. I also used it as a replacement for a couple weeks after my first 4 was stolen. I don't sell my old tech, so I'll probably keep it around.

4. Jmouse thread starter macrumors 6502

What firmware should i be on?

i think im still back at stone-age 2.0

5. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Plug it in and see!

6. utbaseball30 macrumors member

ill buy it I need it to get the unlimited data plan let me know ASAP

Private message me or send me your email

thanks

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Go to Settings --> General --> About and that will tell you what is on there, or as the other person said, plug it into iTunes and see what comes up. Then check for an update.

8. Jmouse thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks guys
    i will need to reactivate it after update right?

9. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

You should be on 3.1.3. Just update and you won't lose your activation. Or you can always restore and hacktivate it with PwnageTool or with a H2o SIM card bought at any Best Buy.

10. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

I would use it just for the iPod/controlling other music/video devices

11. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Keep it dude... it's a classic and may be worth a pretty penny in the future.

12. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

That's like saying your old 6 year computer is worth something lol. I would say to keep it as it's a nice device but if you're expecting it to be worth something one day I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you.

13. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

lol

I'd keep it as a backup so you could reactivate the unlimited data (if you haven't already)

14. svenn macrumors 6502

They routinely sell for over $100 on the big auction site, as long as it's clean and everything works. It's up to you if that makes it worth selling or not, but there is definitely a market for them out there.

And I believe 3.1.3 is the latest ios you can update to. I have my old one laying around too, I just haven't got around to jb and unlocking before I sell it.

15. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

I still have and am using the original iPhone. It is still in like new condition after almost 4 years.

I will be upgrading to the new one this coming June/July. After that, the 2g will be deactivated and handed down to my 3 year old grandson. He loves playing games on it while we are in the car.

16. Savor Suspended

Savor

If it is factory-sealed. A used one goes for $100 online and is only worth keeping as an iPod touch, back-up phone, or sentimental reasons as being the first iPhone.

I personally think the Nexus One will demand more value in the longer-run. It sold less which makes it rarer in circulation. It also has the trackball which can light up in different colors depending on the message which the Nexus S lacks.

iPhones are great to sell because it can hold longer value than most just from the demand. But I say after three years, it can drop dramatically in value once the OS can no longer be updated. It is pretty much like that with all phones and tech always being replaced with the latest and greatest. The fact iPhones sold so well doesn't make them any rarer.

The first gen iPod can still well over $600 brand new because iPod was still obscure back in 2001-2002. The first iPhone sold well over 6-7 million.

17. Apple 26.2, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011

Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Maybe you're right. But it is a classic, so for what it's worth...

18. Jmouse thread starter macrumors 6502

What about one of those 50 years old classic car? they seems to fetch quite abit lol.

19. svenn macrumors 6502

That really depends on what type of car we're talking about...

20. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I'm still using my original iPhone. With the whited00r custom firmware I get to enjoy some iOS 4+ features. The limited RAM makes things pretty sluggish, though. I hope to upgrade this summer, depending on what life brings.