iPhone 3.0 Battery Percentage Reading?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mengels7, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Mengels7 macrumors regular

My first 3.0 restore showed me a battery percentage next to the battery icon, something I had only enjoyed on my previously jailbroken phone. I figured this was a new feature. I had "restored from backup" on that load and my 3.0 software was glitchy, so I just restored again, but not from backup. I no longer have the percentage. What's up with that?

2. Vonswanko macrumors regular

3. Mengels7 thread starter macrumors regular

I began to think that, but how does that even make sense if I'm doing a complete firmware restore? It was different than the jailbreak because on that, the percentage replaced the battery icon. On 3.0, it was next to it in a different font and actually had a percentage sign after the number.

4. Vazzyb macrumors member

Vazzyb

Exactly the same thing for me, from a previous JB.

Looks quite nice, have to admit.

5. lostfan916 macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

If you have the battery icon enables when you restore/upgrade it will stay with you. I restored my JB when I was taking it in and it was still switching between icon and %. I JB it again, turned it off and was good to go. It's something that is backed up with the phone that's why it disappeared when you did a restore and didn't restore backup.

6. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I wish apple would add this, just tap the battery to see the percentage. It's way more accurate on seeing how much battery is truly left.

7. Mengels7 thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm alrighty, thanks for clearing that up guys!

8. sallythemac Guest

There is some hope. At the keynote, the slide with some of the new APIs on it had "Battery API" on it. Maybe access to battery levels and therefore percentages?

Attached Files:

9. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

Good find! I can only hope.

10. 11800506 macrumors 65816

The app Free Memory already shows the Battery percentage (in the app of course) so it certainly is already possible.

11. DreamPod macrumors 65816

That's for developers, it means a developer can write their app to show currently battery life. But of course as third-party apps can't run in the background, you'd have to run that app to show it. There are a couple apps out there that already do it, but they could be pulled at any time for using an illegal API.

12. spank2223 macrumors member

13. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

Per Apple, only the 3G S will.

The battery icon in the upper-right corner shows the battery level or charging status. You can also display the percentage of the battery charge (iPhone 3G S only).

http://www.apple.com/iphone/how-to/#basics.charging-the-battery

14. jman240 macrumors 6502a

Doesn't mean the 3G never will. It may have just not made it into the 3G OS code branch yet.

Even the iPod Touch is lagging in some features. Future 3.0.1 update. I think so.

15. fpsphil macrumors member

do u guys think that if i restore from a old 2.2 jailbroken backup i have i might get the percentage?

16. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I'm starting to doubt that.

It seems that Apple's modus operandi with this phone is "small differences":

- Nike+ for it, but not 3G
    - volume headphones for it, but not 3G
    - voice control for it, but not 3G
    - battery % for it, but not 3G

And it seems to go on like that.

17. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Battery Percentage will ONLY be available to iPhone 3G S⃣ Customers.
    Straight from Apple > http://twitpic.com/72yrx.

R-Fly

18. Mengels7 thread starter macrumors regular

After keeping up with my backup and upgrading the OS all the way to 3.0 GM, I still have the percentage. I am dreading that my 3GS won't have it. :(

19. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

But everyone above just said that the 3G S will have it. I just updated my jailbroken 2.2.1 phone to 3.0 and kept the percentage, yay!

20. steveken macrumors newbie

Did it keep it where you touch the battery icon to switch between the icon and the percentage just like on the 2.2.1? Or is it next to it just like in the pictures that apple showed?

And, I have my phone at 2.2 still with it jailbroken. I am wondering if there is anything tricky I might need to worry about when I put it up to 3.0. I know you have to get any stuff out of categories before hand, and I have read something about how you want to do a restore with the 3.0 software and not an upgrade because it won't work right. If you could, can you please tell me what you did so I know what to do? And, if its no bother, be as explicit as you can. Thanks!

21. Blaunerts macrumors regular

Blaunerts

22. ziggie216 macrumors 6502

ok, this is freaking wierd.. I have the battery % on my 3G. It was there before I jailbreak it earlier today.

23. ziggie216 macrumors 6502

ah nm.. didnt see this post... ok same situation

24. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

This is pure idiocy, who wants to bet they will add it for 3g and 2g once the 3gs sells a million or whatever.