iPhone 3.0 Beta 5 service sucks!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thisisarcadia, May 18, 2009.

1. thisisarcadia macrumors 6502

So recently everyday my phone will randomly cut off internet fiddle around and then go to searching then a few minutes later it will go back to normal or go to no service. Has this happened to anyone else?

2. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Yes. It's not really a service issue, more of an issue with the iPhone not knowing what the hell is going on. It happens all the time for me. I also can't use the phone portion of my iPhone because it just drops the calls every 20 seconds and locks up.

Apple has a lot of work to do before the public release of 3.0.

3. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

It's beta software. Do you expect it to be stable? I hope not.

4. the-sandman macrumors regular

the-sandman

I've also had trouble with service at home. It just seems to forget whats happening, but this only happens at home, where i get really poor signal. when i'm out and have 5 bars, it works consistently.

Hopefully will be fixed with beta 6. I feel silly holding my phone in the air till it stops 'Searching...'

5. Crotalus_Joe macrumors regular

I have the same problem with the 2.2.1 software, so it isnt a 3.0 beta only issue.

6. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Sadly Apples view of beta seems to be different from Google... (See gmail...)

7. luv2hum macrumors regular

i liked version 4 much better than version 5, i just hope version 6 beats them both in stability.

8. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

sadly google has no deadline to get their beta products out of beta.

9. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

True. Maybe Apple could just pull a google and release it and constantly update it as google does. If it stays in beta long enough maybe people will just ignore the label all together (a la gmail).

10. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Apple does constantly update their OSs. The term beta is still very viable, regardless of how google decides to use it.

11. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Maybe that's because Google doesn't understand the true meaning of beta.

12. michaelgettys macrumors member

I have beta 5 on my iPhone. I have had all the pervious betas as well. I would say I have noticed some "less bars in more places" issues with this beta as well.

13. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Shouldn't beta be a feature finalization stage and not have problems with the root purpose of the software/device (well in the iPhones case at least)?

14. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

im starting to think that its no fault of AT&T or software but the iphones antennae just sucks totally, whether im home, out or in a building my "service" always fluctuates between 5 and 2 bars, as pretty as the phone is if it cant hold consistent signal what good is it? I have had a history of always switching providers and phones and I honestly have never had to wait so long for a phone to "search" for a signal, its either there or it isnt, this phone just cant do it.

15. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Submit a bug report to Apple. This is why they release beta to the developers.

16. GFSarah macrumors regular

GFSarah

Yes. With beta 5 my phone frequently shows "Searching ...," "No Signal," or very few bars in the same areas where it used to show consistently good signal and still does from time to time. So goes it with beta software.

17. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Totally.

I know what a beta is, thank you for insulting my intelligence.

18. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A312g Safari/528.16)

Considering that this problem didn't exist with beta 1, 2, 3, or 4, I'd say pretty much everyone expected beta 5 to work properly as well. ;)

19. ViPa macrumors 6502a

20. thespazz macrumors 6502a

Just to clear some FUD...

Google's PUBLIC GMail service is in Beta. Google's Corporate PAID FOR GMail is NOT in beta. They've made the public facing GMail beta so they can continuously add, tweak, and test new features. For example, the public got themes a long while ago....my university gmail still has no themes.

They fully understand the meaning of Beta.

21. eyefoniac macrumors 6502

eyefoniac

22. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A312g Safari/528.16)

Nice user name.

You know, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. ;)

23. ptsube macrumors 6502

I wish people would stop saying "it's Beta, what do you expect?"
    The Beta 5 firmware has passed through, Pre-alpha, Alpha, and five Beta's. While it is entitled to still have some flaws, it certainly should be more stable this late in the life-cycle. Apple should've released the Beta sooner.

24. thespazz macrumors 6502a

I never knew that guy even existed on the forums.

I've been using this handle forever. Variations of teh_spazz and thespazz and tsn | spazz.