iphone 3.0 gm expiring

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fpsphil, Jun 14, 2009.

1. fpsphil macrumors member

i just got the baseband dumping popup but was able to restart my phone and keep it from dumping, anyone else getting the popup, seems kinda early for the gm to be expiring

2. Cleve macrumors regular

GM expiring?

I thought the GM meant that it wasn't expiring. Maybe because of that 9to5mac tethering thing?

3. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Of course it will expire.
    It still doesn't have fully updated carrier files, as far as I know.

4. fpsphil thread starter macrumors member

what 9-5 mac tethering thing

and do you guys know if i simply set my iphone's date i can dodge the offical time when 3.0 gm expires as i am traveling out of the country and internet will be tricky to have over the next few days

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

6. fpsphil thread starter macrumors member

What I really need to know right now is if backdating can prevent or extend the expiration date of the os as I leaving the country as I type this

7. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

That should work. That's how people found out the expiry of the betas - they'd change the date forward on their iPhone and once they got the pink 'connect to iTunes' screen they knew what date it was set to expire. Changing the date back a bit ever two or three days should prevent it from expiring on you.

8. fpsphil thread starter macrumors member

K well I hope this works as I might not e able to update till a few days after the release cus of possible Internet access problems but I'll try

9. jableskg macrumors regular

Please don't tell me this will expire or brick my phone.. I just got the 3.0GM and i'm having regrets now because like some here i don't have the option to turn on Push, MMS, or tethering.. I'm hoping i will be able to fix it on Wednesday.. Should i just revert back to the old version or is it too late?

10. The General macrumors 601

I don't think the baseband dumping message means your phone is expiring...

11. fpsphil thread starter macrumors member

On beta 4 I got that message about 10 min before I got the pink screen

12. The General macrumors 601

I got that message on beta 4 like 6 or 8 times, never expired.

13. jableskg macrumors regular

So on Wednesday iTunes will say i have the current version now that i have 3.0GM?? Will some of those missing features magically appear?

14. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

If you are in the U.S you won't see MMS or tethering until AT&T activates it or unless you use a carrier file hack.

And Push notifications options didn't show up
    until I was invited to test AIM and loaded it. Why have the settings if nothing is in there.

15. jableskg macrumors regular

So i would imagine whatever apps do support Push will probably pop up in the App store on Wednesday then.. Would you agree?

In the meantime do GM's generally expire? My main concern now is after Wednesday i may have an unusable phone.

16. The General macrumors 601

Do you think Apple would do that? Give all of their developers a GM seed that won't let them upgrade to the official 3.0? Really? You really think that would happen?

No.

Stop worrying. On Wednesday, we'll all upgrade to the official 3.0, and all will be well.

17. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

I'm not too worried. From what I understand, this is THE 3.0 build that will be released to the masses on Wednesday. It's not called the 'Gold Master' for nothing. This is it. The grand pubaa. And it won't be expiring.

18. jableskg macrumors regular

So it doesn't matter if you are a developer or not? Because first and foremost i'm not a developer.

Everywhere i read people are saying this is the same version that will be released on Wednesday. I guess we all have to take that with a grain of salt.

19. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

So I gotta ask. How did you get in on the AIM beta? Can others?

20. The General macrumors 601

It doesn't matter. Even if 3.0 GM expires, you can just put your phone in DFU mode and restore to the official release.

No one knows for sure whether or not this is the final version that will be available on Wednesday, but I would wager that it is not.

21. jableskg macrumors regular

Thanks for your help.

22. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Yah, I'd be willing to bet that there will be minor tweaks between GM and Official Release, but nothing that would affect developers.

23. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Agreed. I still believe we will see updated carrier files. MMS options will likely exist in the final release without have to screw with a downloaded IPCC file.

24. retroneo macrumors 6502a

Running the GM. Just set my clock to September....

Doing this to prove it doesn't expire...

Restarting my phone now

Apple logo

Home Screen.

OP is wrong.