Iphone 3.0 no tethering. Why?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by andygabriel, Mar 17, 2009.

1. andygabriel macrumors regular

I was expecting tethering coz i really need it!! Anyone else wanted tethering

2. dlamin517 macrumors 6502

att must be the culprit

11:39AM Q: Where do you stand on tethering?
    A: Scott (explains tethering): We're supporting tethering in the client side, we're building that support in. We're working with our carriers around the world. We are building that support in.

3. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Networks won't want tethering as it'll just lead to bandwidth being hammered.

4. andygabriel thread starter macrumors regular

Does P2P means over bluetooth means Tethering over bluetooth?

5. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

It's against AT&Ts and O2s terms and conditions.

6. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

11:39AM Q: Where do you stand on tethering?
    A: Scott (explains tethering): We're supporting tethering in the client side, we're building that support in. We're working with our carriers around the world. We are building that support in.

I go forth and eat my hat.

7. andygabriel thread starter macrumors regular

from Gizmodo liveblog:

Jason Chen:

Q: Where do you stand on tethering?
    A: There’s two pieces needed to support that: client side and working with carriers. We’re absolutely supporting tethering in the client side in iPhone 3.0, but we’re working with carriers around the world to see when they can add tethering support on their networks. But we are building that support into iPhone 3.0.

From Engadget:

1:39AM Q: Where do you stand on tethering?

yeah yeah. I'm so happy!! Now it's the real Jesus phone!!!!!

8. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I have a AT&T aircard for wireless internet on the go, I've never been a fan of tethering. Aircards usually perform better and faster than any phone in tether mode.

9. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Not if you're paying extra for it. Blackberries support it on AT&T if you have the subscription for it.

10. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

if it's that big of a deal - jailbreak. i'm sure the dev team will have a crack out.

i tethered with PDANet on a long car ride and it worked perfectly!

11. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Apple's going to provide the capability. Carriers need to decide what to do.
    I think O2 might just change it's tune. It'll be steep, but I see it coming eventually.

12. lordhamster macrumors 6502

With the new "subscriptions" capability of the app store, I wouldn't be surprised if ATT would offer a $10 or $20 /month app that would allow easy tethering.

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Now this is something I haven't thought of. However, I see AT&T bundling you more into a contract more than a subscription for tethering.

14. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

I think aircards are great but personally I would prefer tethering because:
    1) less hardware to carry, I already have my MB and iPhone with me most of the time.
    2) WiFi is pretty much available whereever I go, but for those places that it is not availble and I would like to have access, I have the option to tether. That is a huge bonus. I

I wont care to much about speed, I just would like to have the capabilty. For me tethering would totally help. Most of my work is on my iDisk anyhow so when I really need the web it is to get something or sync my iDisk.

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

+1

16. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

so let me get this one straight, you expect a computer company to integrate something on the basis you need it, but most dont....:rolleyes:

17. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Come on O2, £5p/m optional tethering on top of the contract and I'm game.

18. CarlisleUnited macrumors 6502

Any word on the stance fo other carriers, t-mobile for instance?

19. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I have a Option Quicksilver USB AirCard, its no bigger than a USB memory stick. I just stick it in my pocket or in the case with my MBP, it's not really much of a bother nor a hassle since it is so small.

20. erpbridge macrumors newbie

I have a feeling this is more of a global issue... they want to get ALL providers on board before they turn on tethering, or else the call centers (most likely Apple support callcenter) will be flooded when one provider out of the many doesn't support it when the switch is flipped.