iPhone 3,1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cbw87, Jun 21, 2009.

1. cbw87 macrumors member

What is it? When will we see it?

Some may think that given that, in some hardware respects at least (aesthetics, screen, 802.11n, etc. This thread isn't really for a debate on this), the 3GS is a relatively minor upgrade - and Apple is clearly frustrated with some of its carrier partners, not least of all AT&T.

What's Apple's next step? Was the early presence of the iPhone 3,1 identifier in OS 3.0 significant - i.e. does it mean it's coming soon?

Nobody's mentioned this since the 3GS announcement, so just thinking aloud...

2. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

If it was a minor upgrade it would have been called 1,3 and not 2,1.

3. JohnFa macrumors regular

There was no 3,1 identifier in the 3.0 OS: there was 1,1, 1,2 and 2,1, 2,1 being the new 3GS. And it's too early to talk about this. A new iPhone model won't come out until, at least, next year.

4. cbw87 thread starter macrumors member

5. cbw87 thread starter macrumors member

I didn't say it was a minor upgrade, just that it was relatively minor - in terms of the new hardware features we could have expected. No updated screen (OLED/higher resolution/covering more of the face of the device). No custom processor. No new casing. Not significantly thinner. No "n" WiFi. Etc. It is widely considered (read the reviews) as evolutionary, and so all I'm saying is that since 3,1 was identified so early on, perhaps Apple is cooking something revolutionary.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I thnk you can carry tus discussion on the news thread instead of here as it creates just more spam

7. matttye macrumors 601

It also says this:

"Among those entries was one for "iPhone3,1", which appears to represent yet another iPhone model that has not yet been publicly released."

8. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

nevermind, just re-read, still, probably nothing

too soon

9. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

LOL

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

How are a new screen and a different case more significant than double the processor speed, double the ram and caches, and a new GPU?

The only people who widely considered the 3GS to be a minor upgrade are idiots.

PS. Do you really want significantly thinner, because it comes with a reduction in battery life compared to the battery life you get with the same thickness.

11. ddavid macrumors regular

I think idiots is a little strong. It's just a phone, so don't let your chain get rattled.

I am quite sure that Apple has a 3,1 in the works and probably a 4,1 on the drawing board and a 5,1 on a McDonald's napkin somewhere. What we have now is the 3Gs, it is faster and has more stuff. Buy one or wait...

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I think it's thin enough. I wouldn't mind if it was thicker and larger (re-reading what I wrote sounds pretty funny...LOL)

13. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

If Apple had added a new colour, the same people will be saying its a major upgrade.