Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ogdogg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Arizona
iPhone 3,2

8mp Camera
Fixed Antenna
HSPA+
64GB Storage
CDMA/GMS Compatible
Stronger Back Glass
Available In White
Available In December/AT&T & January/Verizon

What do you think?

phobic99

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
iPhone 3,2

8mp Camera
Fixed Antenna
HSPA+
64GB Storage
CDMA/GMS Compatible
Stronger Back Glass
Available In White

What do you think?

Nope.

iPhone 3,2:

Same as iPhone 3,1 but with CDMA and/or dual GSM +CDMA hardware.

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
iPhone 3,2

8mp Camera
Fixed Antenna
HSPA+
64GB Storage
CDMA/GMS Compatible
Stronger Back Glass
Available In White

What do you think?

I think Apple would open themselves up to a whole host of problems with the existing iPhone users. After all, Steve has already said "What antenna issue?" Can you imagine the screaming that would happen, the demand for a 'fixed' phone, etc?
New camera mid model? Why?
64 GB chip is still too pricey.
White? Maybe someday.:rolleyes:
Verizon? I'm not going there...:D

ogdogg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Arizona
I think there won't be an iPhone 3.2.

Who said 3.2 troll?

New camera mid model? Why?

I read a while back that Sony was going to supply the next iPhone with 8mp cameras. At the time, I thought Apple was rushing the gun signing with their next supplier. If this is a mid-cycle release, then that rumor being true for an upgraded camera on this phone makes more sense.

64 GB chip is still too pricey.

Price for the 64GB chip doesn't matter. Apple would charge more for that model phone which would more than offset the cost.

I think Apple would open themselves up to a whole host of problems with the existing iPhone users. After all, Steve has already said "What antenna issue?" Can you imagine the screaming that would happen, the demand for a 'fixed' phone, etc?

There is no antenna issue, so there would be no backlash. The new phone would just have a redesigned antenna. You didn't expect them to use the same antenna design forever did you? In fact, releasing a new phone would get them new FCC approval and they wouldn't even need to acknowledge the antenna issue again. Genius.

ianray

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
@
Apple is a creature of habit, and for iPhone that means a yearly release cycle.

The iPhone 3,2 moniker could be indicative of different cellular radios (e.g. CDMA) but is unlikely IMHO to mean different camera hardware or storage capacity.

If new hardware is coming before June 2011 (and that's a big "if") then it will either come in time for the holidays, or early next year. Ramping up new hardware in December seems unrealistic -- again IMHO.

Let's see what happens :D

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Personally, I don't believe that we will see any new iPhone before next summer.
If we do see anything in Jan, I expect it to be essentially the same iPhone 4 we have today, but built for Verizon's CDMA network (note the same primary number "3"). Even if a world phone capable chip is used, I would expect that only the CDMA features would be utilized for a Jan device.

With that in mind, I would highly recommend NOT buying a Jan released Verizon iPhone. A the real successor to the iPhone 4 won't arrive until the summer. This may include the features OP described along with iOS 5 and world phone compatibility.

I say this because iPhone releases are timed with iOS releases in order to properly support new hardware features. No iOS 5 means no iPhone 5.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I think there won't be an iPhone 3.2.

So the reference to it in iOS is just there to screw with us?

Apple is a creature of habit, and for iPhone that means a yearly release cycle.

The iPhone 3,2 moniker could be indicative of different cellular radios (e.g. CDMA) but is unlikely IMHO to mean different camera hardware or storage capacity.

If new hardware is coming before June 2011 (and that's a big "if") then it will either come in time for the holidays, or early next year. Ramping up new hardware in December seems unrealistic -- again IMHO.

Let's see what happens :D

Considering the 16GB and 32GB models are both 3,1, I have to disagree. It's most likely a radio change.

Sherifftruman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
I read a while back that Sony was going to supply the next iPhone with 8mp cameras. At the time, I thought Apple was rushing the gun signing with their next supplier. If this is a mid-cycle release, then that rumor being true for an upgraded camera on this phone makes more sense.

Well, going by their typical timing and recent rumors, they are already testing prototypes of the iPhone 5 or whatever it will be called, so it would not be crazy to think they have suppliers lined up for it.

I think the iPhone 3,2 will be pretty much exactly like the current iPhone 4 (3,1) except for the CDMA thing or maybe even a combo CDMA/LTE chip. LTE uses SIM cards also I think.

ogdogg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Arizona
Well, if it is just a minor update and they use a combo GMS/CDMA chip, I hope it's at least capable of HSPA+. In order to buy this phone I would need at least one of the following 3 things.

8mp Camera
HSPA+
Bigger Screen (definitely not going to happen)

I don't see Apple releasing a new iPhone without some type of improvement. Unless Verizon is content with getting AT&T's sloppy seconds on the iPhone 4.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Unless Verizon is content with getting AT&T's sloppy seconds on the iPhone 4.

Actually, this happens a lot when there are exclusivity agreements. Verizon has gotten Sprint's sloppy seconds on more than one occasion, so it would be business as usual if this were the case.

nukztar

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
Well, if it is just a minor update and they use a combo GMS/CDMA chip, I hope it's at least capable of HSPA+. In order to buy this phone I would need at least one of the following 3 things.

8mp Camera
HSPA+

I don't see Apple releasing a new iPhone without some type of improvement. Unless Verizon is content with getting AT&T's sloppy seconds on the iPhone 4.

Why is an 8MP camera such an important thing for you so soon? I can tell you that i own a 8MP camera phone with the Xperia X10, and the Iphone photos are actually a lot clearer.

Dont put so much thought into megapixels. If apple find a way to make a 8MP sensor that takes photos as quickly and with as much light and clarity then great. But surely this isnt that much of a deal breaker?

I just want a bit more space to be honest. 64G is perfect to fit in HD Videos music etc. If apple provides for this, will grab one the first chance i get.

mad-dog-one

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2009
iPhone 3,2

8mp Camera
Fixed Antenna
HSPA+
64GB Storage
CDMA/GMS Compatible
Stronger Back Glass
Available In White

What do you think?

Nice dream, but it aen't gonna happen by Dec/Jan.

Hellishness

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Bay Area, CA

8mp Camera
HSPA+

Question: why the hell do you want an 8MP camera? 8MP is not necessarily better than the current one, in fact it's almost necessarily worse since you are squeezing 60% more pixels onto a sensor that physically cannot be much bigger because of the iPhone's small size.

ogdogg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Arizona
I assume if Apple is using a higher MP camera, it will be better overall, not just higher megapixels. Apple wouldn't just use a new sensor for better stats.

It's a shame that I have to explain my line of thinking on here because people always assume that someone has no idea what they're talking about. You nerds have some serious complex issues.

Just for the record, I have a 5mp camera at home that takes better pics than my newer 12mp camera. With Apple however, that has never proven to be the case. If they up the mp count, the sensor is better and will take better pics. I feel that's a pretty accurate statement and has been demonstrated by the camera upgrades on other iPhone releases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.