Iphone 3 vs 4. Did the 3 have the same problem? Nope.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by waistdeep, Jul 16, 2010.

1. waistdeep macrumors newbie

So most of us have had the iPhone 3, probably even the 1 and 2. So, my iPhone 3 didn't have the death grip problem. So I think therein lies the problem. They sent it out knowing it had a weakness. I know, I've heard all smartphones have this problem, but IT WASN'T widespread or even brought up in the previous model, so THAT, I feel is the problem. Shipped flaw. Discuss.

2. camarobh macrumors 6502

Hasn't this been discussed enough? If you don't want it, return it.

3. Stay Tuned macrumors member

Can't repeat it on my 3G either, even though I can on the 4. Also while every other smart phone may seem signal degradation, they don't completely drop signal like the 4 does.

4. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

I have 2 3G's, 2 3GS and 2 4's.

They ALL have this problem.

5. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

Not again.

It is over. Return the iPhone 4 or live with it. Those are your two options.

6. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

you are wrong.

i cannot reproduce this on my 3GS.. no matter HOW hard i try.

7. citrate macrumors 6502

That doesn't make him wrong. My 3GS didn't have the problem either but that doesn't mean that he is wrong. We need everyone to have an open mind, including the fanboys who have 'perfect' iPhone 4's.

8. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

I had - and loved - the first 2g and the 3gs. Great phones. No problems.

I wish I could say the same about my 4, but I can't. I trust it will be fixed, eventually. But it's more than just connectivity.

9. RobLS macrumors member

I had the original iPhone. If I grip the hell out of that phone, eventually the bars will go down. I got the 3g from someone today, I gripped that one and it goes down as well. The past couple weeks I've been testing out all the iPhone 4's I could find and can't replicate the same issue.

Its not a massively widespread problem I think. I do agree all types of phones have it, but they're just like the iPhone 4, only a select amount experience the issue.

10. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

11. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

i cannot reproduce this problem on any iPhone i've used. i have a lot of friends with iPhone's and i just can't do it here (in canada, on rogers).

the iPhone 4 will be out in 2 weeks... only time will tell.

12. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

+1

People aren't making the distinction when they say "problem". Does signal (bars) drop when you cover the antenna on cell phones? Yes. Does any other smartphone or iPhone drop calls or prevent you from making a call when you touch it only with the tip of your finger? No.

13. Phokus macrumors regular

Replicate this problem with just one finger on the phone on the 3G and 3GS. Oh, you can't? Oh the problem is unique on the iphone 4? This is why we can't have nice things.

14. Kevio macrumors regular

YOU are one person. I know many people who can't reproduce this problem on their iP4's. It all depends on the reception in your area. Nearly every smart phone has this problem, so accept that and get over it.

15. profets macrumors 68040

i was just trying this with a 3GS on rogers yesterday after seeing apple talk about it. When i'm in a weak signal area and the phone still shows 5 bars I can easily replicate the problem. Couldn't believe how easy it is to do. of course I never hold the phone in that way during normal use. I tried it also on a few BB9700's and it was easy. went from 5 bars 3G to 2 bars on edge. Now, this doesn't mean these phones are dropping calls or that there isn't an issue with the iPhone4. Just saying that its possible to replicate signal drop on other phones.

16. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

So far, I've seen no difference in performance between my 3G and my iP4 when it comes to signal strength while holding the phone. They both lose a bar or two, but don't drop the call. When I'm not holding the phone (it sits in my car's center console compartment plugged into the sound system), the iP4 has dropped fewer calls than my 3G did.

17. kallyq macrumors regular

18. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I can reproduce the "death grip" on my old 3G just fine thank you very much.

19. FortMOney macrumors member

What is an iPhone 3? I've never heard of an iPhone 1, 2, or 3 before

20. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

haha, no they don't. not your fault though. might take a few days for the RDF to wear off

21. Makaveliarts macrumors 6502

It happens on my 3Gs, except my death grip area is on the left side like the IP4. Covering the whole left side drops me down to 1 bar, and in a bad service area could get me to no service.

Oh, and if you tell me "No, it doesn't" your a douche.

22. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

The original (first) iPhone is referred to as the iPhone 2. The next generation is the iPhone 3, followed by the iPhone 3GS. The current one is the iPhone 4. Steve Jobs refered to it as the fourth generation of iPhones.

Edit: A sharp eyed poster noticed I left the G off the 3G. I agree there is no iPhone 3. :)

23. darngooddesign macrumors G3

First, second and third iphone generations. Thats why the current one is referred to as the iPhone 4.

24. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

There has never been an "iPhone 2" or "iPhone 3." There's been an iPhone, and iPhone 3G however.

Like another user said, I've noticed zero signal difference between my 3GS and 4.

25. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

You should seriously be banned for starting this thread.