iPhone 3g 3.0b3 major issue...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Strivelli, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Strivelli macrumors newbie

I've had my iPhone since the 2g release.. Then I bought my 3g last October. Since I've purchased it, it has worked pretty seamlessly, few minor problems here and there. I got access to the 3.0 firmware, and got activated, and the first 2 builds were working fine, and the day I upgraded to beta 3, it started giving me major issues.

I got the firmware installed, and I was making a trip to the apple store, to get the phone replaced for a separate issue (screen scratches lol) so i went there, and the guy told me he would replace the screen, and not replace the phone, okay fine. The screen got replaced, and he told me that cause I was on 3.0 it voided my warranty, yada yada yada.

So about an hour-ish later, after I had gotten home, my phone started freaking out and shut off.. At that point, it got stuck at the boot screen, and after restarting, it would just keep hanging at the apple logo, so i decided to restore.

After restoring, I got to a point, where it would go to a purple recovery screen, the final screen that allowed you to "Set up new iPhone, or restore from backup" and the phone turns off and on fine, but when I plug it in, a new problem arises. When I attach my phone via USB to the computer, the Phone freezes, and when i take it out, it unfreezes. Last time it happened, I pretty much cried to Apple, asking for help, but they told me I was SOL, and had to buy a new phone, and my phone started working miraculously again. Now, 2 days later, it's doing the same thing again, freezing and unfreezing at the restore point.

Can anyone offer some advice, or wisdom as to what I could do to fix my phone, or has anyone else had the same problem as I'm having? Apple has never heard about this before.

All answers welcome! :/

2. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

Sounds like a hardware issue.

All you can do is try downgrading to 2.2.1

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
  4. Strivelli thread starter macrumors newbie

How can I DFU and restore down if my baseband is upgraded? I've already tried it, and it gives me a restore error. Any suggestions?

5. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

are you using a Mac or PC? I don't think DFU has anything to do with which baseband you have.

6. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

So a dfu mode + restore in iTunes fails with an error? Care to share which one? and if that doesn't work. Put the phone into Restore Mode, and try doing a restore to 2.2.1 in iTunes.

7. Strivelli thread starter macrumors newbie

it does... I've done plenty of research on downgrading my phone, I'm on a mac anyway... If you know something I don't, I'd love to know, I'm desperate to fix my phone.

8. Strivelli thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried both.. Neither of which worked..

9. beaken macrumors member

Take it back to the Apple store and ask to see a manager. Putting 3.0 on your iphone does NOT void the warrenty and will exchange your device. If the mac genius is trying to say it void it he is wrong. Work it up the chain and get it replaced.

10. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

Since you are using a Mac, Apple blocked the latest version of OSX (10.5.6) from recognizing DFU mode. You need to either get the proper USB .kext file or try going through a USB hub.

11. Strivelli thread starter macrumors newbie

Huh?

12. Strivelli thread starter macrumors newbie

When I called Apple technical support over the phone, they told me that I couldn't go to an Apple Store and get it downgraded, but that my hardware warranty was still in effect. Then they said that because they weren't yet trained in 3.0 software, that I was to call the Apple Dev Support. When I called there, the guy said that my phone was now considered a "testing device" and voided all warranties until 3.0 came out of beta.. Are you sure I can go to an Apple store to get it replaced?

13. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

I would just go into the apple store, and play dumb, and not mention anything about the 3.0.

14. Strivelli thread starter macrumors newbie

No one in my family, including me is a developer. My friend paid some guy to add me to his account... Should this matter?

15. Strivelli thread starter macrumors newbie

... I think that's teh best bet, just going to the orginal apple store and complaining to the manager.

16. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

It should work fine in windows.

Follow these steps :

"use iTunes to restore the phone. You should get error 1013. This is a GOOD error. Now open quickpwn. All you need to do is open it, THAT IS IT! DO NOT GO THROUGH THE PROCESS AND JAILBREAK.

Now after opening quickpwn, open up iTunes. Your phone should now activate normally.

Now that the phone is activated you can jailbreak if you want."

17. Strivelli thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem remains that when I plug the phone into any computer, including both my macbooks, my imac, and my dell e1705, it just freezes.. Im guessing hardware failure?

18. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

Yes, if that happens it most likely hardware failure.

Bring it to the Apple store and calmly explain the situation. Tell them that this occurred only after the glass was repaired. I highly doubt that this issue you are having has anything to do with 3.0. Most likely something was messed up during the screen repair.

19. Strivelli thread starter macrumors newbie

And what do you suggest I do about me not being the one with the developer account? Should I just write the guy an email, and tell him I need to replace my phone and ask him if he'll replace the UDID?

20. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

Don't mention anything about being or not being a 'legit' developer to any of the geniuses.

The UDID shouldn't even matter. If they replace the phone the new one will have a different UDID. Are you planning on reinstalling 3.0?

21. Strivelli thread starter macrumors newbie

What do you think? I mean, there is nothing super super spectacular that 3.0 has offered me... I think I can just skate by on 2.2.1 for now.. What do you suggest? What if the manager asks me if I'm a developer?

22. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

If the manager asks you anything tell him/her you were beta testing an App from someone who is a developer. That person added your UDID to their account.

23. Strivelli thread starter macrumors newbie

That's actually a really good answer.. I'll go tomorrow to the Apple Store... I'll let you know how everything turns out.. Thanks again for your help..both of you... and oh one last question. If he does replace my phone, and I want to upgrade to 3.0, can the guy swap out my old UDID for my new UDID, or how does that work?

24. nicheco macrumors member

when you get the new phone, you will have to update to 3.0 again. i just went through the same thing.