iPhone --> 3g --> 3gs --> 4 --> 4s --> 5 --> 5s --> etc....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ScKcBc, Oct 11, 2011.

1. ScKcBc, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011

ScKcBc macrumors regular

I really dont understand why people are SO shocked there is a 4s. Besides the fact I called it 10 months ago it makes PERFECT sense. And apple just showed us they know what they're doing because they sold a million phones in one day, surpassing every other release date. Apple is BIG BUSINESS, not a group of hobbyists looking to drop the best thing they have under their sleeve.

Next year they will release a redesign and sell another million + phones. There was no point to redesign the exterior of the phone if you can still sell a few million at the current design. Their product costs are kept down doing it this way. That means profit margin stays up top. They just sold hundreds of thousands people the same phone with some internal upgrades, including me. What's better than selling an iphone 4 to someone? Selling them 2. ; )

2. PerplexShyt macrumors 6502

3. Pooshka macrumors 65816

People wouldn't be arguing about the nomenclature in various threads if it were obvious.

Obviously, it's not that obvious after all.

OP, I do agree with you though. That's exactly how iPhones will be named from now on.

4. kevintech macrumors 6502

I'm actually glad the 4S was released instead of a 5. This allowed me to consider other phones. If the 5 was released, I'd probably stay on iPhone for too long.

5. PerplexShyt macrumors 6502

As soon as they announced the iphone 4s, it should have been an obvious indicator of Apple's future iphone release model.

its your fault if you didn't catch that. sorry ;)

6. Dronomophone macrumors regular

There will be no iPhone 5.

iPhone - 1st iPhone
    iPhone 3G - added 3G
    iPhone 3GS - speed bump
    iPhone 4 - 4TH IPHONE
    iPhone 4S - speed bump (5th iPhone)

Next iPhone will either be iPhone 6 or I'm guessing more likely, a new naming system. I made a thread before where I stated that the iPhone 5 = Powerbook G5

7. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

Apple will not skip having an iPhone 5

8. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I don't care what they call the next one, I know that I will buy it.

By all the fairly credible info I have, the next model will be quite impressive.

9. fjrabon macrumors regular

eh, I don't know that they'll continue to hold to that. Remember back when it was 'obvious' that Apple was going to release an iPhone every June.

They might continue with the redesign -> speed boost -> redesign trend forever, but they could just as easily deviate.

10. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Or they will call it iPhone LTE.

11. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

People aren't shocked at the 4S. It's a good phone, and I would have even bought it... had they released it in June. But taking the extra months, and letting the rumor mill run rampant resulted in people's expectations being too high of the legendary iPhone 5, and only being crushed to pieces after the announcement. The tragic news of SJ the day after didn't help either.

12. Dronomophone macrumors regular

How would it make any sense for the next phone to be called iPhone 5? Please explain that. Just because it's next in the order? Like I said, iPhone 4S is the 5th iPhone with iOS 5. iPhone 4 was the 4th iPhone with iOS 4. Yes, there will be an "iPhone 5" but it won't be called that.

13. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Congrats.
    [​IMG]

14. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

iPhone --> 3G --> 3GS --> 4 --> 4S --> 6 --> 6S --> 8 --> etc...

15. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

I agree with this post 100%, iPhone 4 was the 4th year of the iPhone, so by their standards the next iPhone should not be a 5. BUT, so many people are asking for a 5 so they might be better off calling it the iPhone 5 anyway

16. bpeeps, Oct 11, 2011

bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Apple doesn't curr what generation the phone is, only the consumers seem to care. They will name the phone in accordance to the best MARKETING. It doesn't matter that the next phone is the 6th generation, there's no sense in marketing it that way. NO one cares that it's the 6th phone.

The reason the 3G got its name is because they wanted to emphasize 3G. And the following phones after that were named in order, with spec bumps in between. The phone will be likely called iPhone 4G, LTE, or 5.

My money's on 4G or LTE.

17. Mr.C macrumors 601

By your logic the iPhone 3 should have been called the iPhone 2. :p ;)

18. rkahl macrumors 65816

Starving for attention much??? Have a cookie.

19. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

The next iPhone MAY be called the 4G then 4GS but in all likelihood it will be iPhone 5 then 5S.

20. Codepiink, Oct 11, 2011

Codepiink macrumors regular

21. urkel macrumors 68030

No. You dont understand. He didn't claim this 8 months ago, or 9 months ago, or even 9S months ago. He was right 10 months ago!

He's obviously our superior and he deserves this chance to prove to the world that he was the only person on the planet who knew that the next iPhone would have a faster chip and better camera than the previous one.

22. curitibagarrett macrumors member

[​IMG]

23. Justim macrumors 6502

If there's one thing we've learned over the extra amount of time since the normal summer release, it's Apple doesn't have to follow any specific cycle.

They could name he next iPhone Jumanji And I bet we'd still be just as impressed.

24. Dronomophone macrumors regular

How so? I don't see that anywhere in my logic. I said the 4th iPhone was the iPhone 4, hence the 6th iPhone can't be the iPhone 5. Also, what is the iPhone 3? There is no such phone.

The iPhone 4 is the only one that just had a number in front of the name and it was referring to the generation of the phone. The rest of them did not.

I don't see how people can't understand this. There is zero sense in calling the next one iPhone 5.

25. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

wow, you know everything! amazing:eek:

it will be a 5