iPhone 3G/3GS/5.6G on Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bridge51, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Bridge51 macrumors newbie

Hey all, I was wondering what the latest rumors/information is on when/if Verizon is going to get an iPhone of any sort.

I knooowww it's 'when apple makes one that works for verizon, etc' but is there any info out there that give any specific timelines? thanks!

2. Nickday89 macrumors regular

No. As of right now, at this very instant, the iPhone will never be on Verison. Never.

3. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

4. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

As long as Steve is in charge, IMO- Verizon can only dream to see that device. A dream that will not come true. They pissed on :apple: with their holier than thou demands, and look where it got em.

Never-Ever-Ever.

Besides, can you see Apple allowing the likes of Verizon destroying iPhone with their methods of locking down device features.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

Google for "apple secrecy". There's been a few main-stream articles on it lately. This is why you won't see "specific timelines" when it comes to Apple's future unannounced plans.

6. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

yeah apple seems to be so overwhelmingly pleased with ATT, especially throing the digs at the WWDC. Nothing like embarassing you exclusive provider on the world stage.
    I can't see why apple and verizon wouldn't reconsider a venture together.
    Maybe we will hear something in August or September about a cdma version being tested somewhere in the South East corridor of the country

7. christyn macrumors 6502a

Honestly, you won't know anything until at least next year.

I'm not one of the many here who thinks it's impossible for Apple to make a CDMA phone for Verizon. I can see it both ways, sticking with GSM makes sense give CDMA is pretty much dying out.. however given how many subscribers that Verizon carries, I do think that Apple will look at it.

All the talk of Apple being mad at AT&T may just be talk at this point, and they may look to continue the partnership. It's just way too early to say.

8. meagain macrumors 68030

9. dancavallaro macrumors regular

I've heard a lot of people here say that Apple won't make a Verizon iPhone until Verizon rolls out LTE. I still don't think that will change the situation though, because even once Verizon rolls out LTE, their phones will still need to support CDMA. It will be *years* before LTE has good enough coverage to ditch CDMA (think about 3G now - can you imagine if the iPhone *only* supported 3G), and Verizon has said that they do not plan on end-of-lifeing CDMA until 2020-2022.

I think once Verizon rolls out LTE it may be *more likely* that there will be a Verizon iPhone, but ubiquity of LTE does not necessarily mean that one iPhone will work on all carries, because of the need to support legacy technologies, which are different depending on the carrier.

10. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I think it wil be interesting if apple doesn't try to tap into 60+ million verizon subscribers

11. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

and jon/kate relationship ended how? exactly

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Don't mix dumbphones and smartphones.

Verizon doesn't lock down their WM and RIM smartphones.

It's Apple that has removed Bluetooth features from the iPhone, locked down what apps people can use, and doesn't allow customization.

It's ATT that disallows VOIP and Slingplayer... two things that Verizon does allow.

13. alm99 macrumors 6502

Verizon actually has more than 80 million.

What percentage of AT&T's 77 million customers are iPhone users? 1, 5, 10%? Give that same percentage to VZW and that is one heck of a lot of customers/revenue/profit to leave on the table just to be pissy about the original disagreement deal for VZW to be the exclusive carrier.

14. christyn macrumors 6502a

I've heard people say that as well, I just don't buy it. It's going to be several years before LTE is stable enough as you said, and are we really supposed to believe that Apple is going to stick exclusively with one carrier for that long? It just doesn't make much sense from their side.

15. Nickday89 macrumors regular

so they'll be together for about 9 years, releasing 8 phones, and spend a year where they talk to other people before getting a divorce? i'm okay with that

16. ldobson macrumors regular

Honestly, I dont see why AT&T would make a CDMA version of the iPhone, Why would like make a phone which is paraylsed by working only in the USA? GSM is global, and is what the rest of the world is running, it wouldnt make sense to make a CDMA version.

17. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

Nobody knows anything! Funny how Verizon turned down the original iPhone and now rumors have been swirling. But there's nothing to the rumors. And Verizon's network isn't really better than ATT overall. It ALL depends on where you live. ATT has the best coverage in my area, so even if Verizon had the iPhone, no need to switch.

Everyone seems to think that Verizon is some sort of beacon of hope or something. But they are a cell network just like any,trying to make money. Will screw you on contracts, data plans, text plans, rate plans, crappy CS

18. christyn macrumors 6502a

I don't recall seeing anyone claim the Verizon is so much better? I would agree, it depends where you live. I personally don't like one over the other, I've had both. My husband has no reception at all in the area downtown where he works, so he's considering different options at this point. I don't seem to have a real problem where I work at, but Verizon's coverage in general here is better, however as a provider otherwise I'm not real big on them.

There's a lot of people who switched from Verizon to AT&T to get the iPhone and found out the coverage in their area sucks... so IF it went to Verizon they would likely want to switch back which is understandable.

19. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

For the love of god, enough with the Verizon threads!

20. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

You dam vzw people are like flys, stop spawning in the 100's use the search and learn from other people flames stop posting this crap.

21. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Verizon can die in a fire!!!!

They turned down the iPhone once and laughed at it. Now, they can suck it. Honestly, can we sto with the Verizon threads? They are becoming borderline pointless or spam.

22. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

I agree. We don't know what exactly transpired between Verizon and Apple but I can totally picture them having a conniption about Apple saying "no carrier branding" on the phones and Apple wanting a revenue sharing model.

Now Verizon gets to suck it.

23. dagomike macrumors 65816

Everyone needs to reconcile the fact that the iPhone is on ATT. If someday it goes to another carrier, it's still going to be on ATT. Waiting for it to be on carrier X means you're choosing to not have an iPhone.

24. The General macrumors 601