iphone 3g and Cabo, Mexico

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by adriii, Dec 3, 2009.

1. adriii macrumors newbie

I'm going to Cabo, Mexico for a week in December and I'm just wondering if I can use my iPhone there without it costing me extra money. I don't want to use the phone for calls or text msgs because I know int'l texts cost an extra $.50 or something like that each but what about internet? Will there be roaming charges or anything like that?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah you can add an international data plan:
    • $24.99/month: 20 MB Data Global Add-On gives you 20 MB of usage within over 90 countries
    • $59.99/month: 50 MB Data Global Add-On gives you 50 MB of usage within over 90 countries
    • $119.99/month: 100 MB Data Global Add-On gives you 100 MB of usage within over 90 countries
    • $199.99/month: 200 MB Data Global Add-On gives you 200 MB of usage within over 90 countries

This is is on top of your regular plan; and any usual browsing, you're looking at 25MB, so unless you are only going to using the network no more than once or twice, you're pretty much stuck with paying for the 100MB or 200MB plan.

FYI, if you don't get a plan, then you're looking at thousands out the window by the time you get back.

Finally the plans that are labeled unlimited [or 5GB] (for international data) you need to sign a 1-year contract to keep it on or they will charge ETF of $175.

More info on plans here.

My advice is to just unlock your phone, get a local SIM card and use data pay-per-use which will probably be cheaper not to mention you'll be able to make calls.

Of course the best solution is to not use the iPhone since it's a data hog.

To answer you original question: You will need to pay extra to roam internationally.

Have a good trip.

3. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

+1 for not using the data at all...these prices are extremely high and you might pay more if you don't activate a plan. Just use the wifi and a local sim card or if you really need internet then use internet with a local sim card...

cheers and good luck for your trip...

4. adriii thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses. What about just turning on my phone to use for games or music? I know the best thing to do would be to just leave the phone off but just curious.

5. MTI macrumors 65816

While you're on the airplane, turn Edge and/or 3G OFF. Also, make sure that the default setting for Data Roaming is also set to OFF. Use WiFi hotspots for web and mail.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, if you put the phone in airplane mode (and then turn Wifi on if you wish), there's nothing cellular to be charged for, and you can do as you please, more or less.

I'm actually headed to Mexico -- Acapulco -- for a few days in February and pondering what to do. I guess I can take another old phone I have -- either keep my original iPhone for a couple months before selling it or find my old Blackberry, which is unlocked I think, and get a prepaid card there.

7. adriii thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so just to clarify, as long as I turn on airplane mode and disable 3g/edge, I can use the phone to listen to music and play games? That's all I want. Thank you!!

8. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Yes I was on a week long cruise a few months ago around Mexico. I had my phone on but kept it in AirPlane mode at all times. No charges whatsoever.

9. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

hey I have a quick question on this matter.....

I'm also gonna be going to Mexico for the holidays, I know they have free wifi all over the place there......

So if "Airplane" mode cancels out all signals, that includes wifi....how would I be able to get Wifi, without getting texts and calls??? Is it the "international assist" option?

10. aristotle macrumors 68000

aristotle

Turn Airplane mode on. Then, in the main settings screen below the airplane mode, there is a menu for WiFi, select it and then turn on wifi there. That will turn on Wifi without turning on your cellular radio.

The iPhone by default does not roam for data it is turned off by default. But to be sure, Open Settings, go to General, go to Network and make sure that Data Roaming is set to "OFF" before you leave your home country.

Be sure to turn off wifi if you do get on a plane.

11. scootaru macrumors 6502

I used my iPhone in Mexico back in June. I called At&t and added the At&t Mexico voice plan and had them temporarily disable Visual Voicemail. The voice plan is $4.99/month, but pro-rated, and it's .59/minute. I think this is a better solution than getting the local SIM. Also, incoming texts don't cost anything as long as they don't put you over your monthly allotment.

I had At&t disable visual voicemail just to be safe since it uses data and At&t could not guarantee that I would not be charged if I received one. I told the rep the day I would return and they turned it back on that day automatically.

As for data usage, as long as Data Roaming is turned off, no application that uses data will function and no charges will accrue.

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Nothing like unlocking it and using local data.

13. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

I know this is an old thread, but it fits me perfectly. I am going to Cabo in about 6 weeks and am looking at teh same issues. Not that I am going to be calling people let and right, but it would be nice to be able to look things up as we are around town and we will be driving up to La Paz one day and would definitely need the phone then, Google Maps would be great too.

I have thought about doing the ATT international plan, but now that Ultrasn0w is out for iPhone 4, I thought maybe I could use a local SIM. Only issue is I can't find one that is the least bit economical. Most are arounf $60 for the SIM and some minutes but none of what I am seeing online has decent data. Most PAYG SIMS I am seeing are wanting something like $10 per megabyte for data. Crazy me, I thought getting a local SIM would be cheaper than ATT, not making them look good?

I know I can wait and try to buy a SIM there, but I hate to go in unprepared and who knows if the optons will be much better cost-wise.

14. az7000 macrumors newbie

Skype from WIFI

About $.01/min for voice and .20 for texts? Let your friends know they will not recognize the caller id #.

15. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

Definitely an option while I'm in the hotel as it has free WIFI and from what I have read and that is very common down there.

I still would like to figure out something for when I am out, especially the day trip.

I did find this site, which seems to indicate there are some less expensive options out there. http://paygsimwithdata.wikia.com/wiki/Mexico I may just have to go there and if I can;t find anything, just call ATT and have them turn on teh international data and calling options and try to stick with WIFI and skype as much as I can.