iPhone 3G AUSTRALIA(re.) | Problems\Fixes\Flawless features

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MattyK, Jul 12, 2008.

1. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

I made this forum for discussing the flaws\fixes for them\flawless features of the iPhone 3G. EDIT: Made this the new AU thread for any 3G talk as the old one got closed for excess bumping and not listening to mods, LISTEN TO MODS.

Seeing as though there is countless threads on the yellow tint. I figured this could be a thread for all problems or bonuses with the software or the physical appearance of the phone.

A few flaws are:
    Sluggish interface (compared to iPhone 1G)
    Yellow tint (Don't we all know this already?)
    Keyboard is supposedly slower (Just briefly read this)
    GPS - Cannot rotate the map to my knowledge to orient to North and S or way your traveling.
    Signal strength worse
    Overheating\Underheating

Flawless Features:
    Don't know because I don't have a iPhone 3G :)

FIXES
    Sluggish interface (compared to iPhone 1G) - Nothing yet
    Yellow tint (Don't we all know this already?) - APPARENTLY a total restore fixes it.
    Keyboard is supposedly slower (Just briefly read this) - Restart your iPhone NOT restore.
    GPS - Cannot rotate the map to my knowledge to orient to North and S or way your traveling. - Nothing yet
    Signal strength worse - 3G may not be supported aswell as 2G in your area, try turning 3G off.
    Overheating\Underheating -Too much use, or not ENOUGH use.

So if there is anything wrong or RIGHT with the iPhone 3G share them here, instead of making another post about it.

You can also discuss the flaws and features of it. etc apps in the app store.

2. tttexxan macrumors 6502a

I will be the first to say very very sluggish at times compared to 1st gen phone...when loading a forum site on safari will often click on a pic and w8 and w8 and w8...Its on 3G and then something finally happens...Edge moved faster...Infact I will click on an app and it takes a bit to load it.
    Also when clicking on top of screen to have scroll up takes longer.

-Screen is WAY WAY YELLOW
    -GPS---Cannot rotate the map to my knowledge to orient to North and S or way your traveling.

Signal strength worse

3. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

I'm seeing the yellow screen. Not surprised there. I am surprised by the lack of heat generated from the 3G phone..running very cool/tepid.

Signal strength is pretty much gone. Went from full bars to barely one at home..not sure quite what damage that's going to do.

4. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Uh... I'm not having a single one of those problems.
    (Other than GPS not changing orientation... which it never claimed to do)

5. MattyK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MattyK

It's for things people have seen wrong with it, not is wrong with every single one.
    Don't you have somthing good to say about it? :p

6. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Ahh.

Well Tap Tap Revenge is freaking amazing.

7. mikelucas1 macrumors newbie

im noticing the heat difference on mine, in that mines a lot hotter!

8. reboad macrumors member

The reception on it isn't weaker, it's just that the 3g network service around your area is weaker than the 2g. Just disable 3g and you'll get more than you got with your 2g phone, and activate 3g when you need it, saves your battery that way too.

9. GR33NIE macrumors 6502

Mine was running quite hot yesterday too! I was on it for aaaaaaggges though! :D

10. thegetawayplan9 macrumors newbie

mine gets warm. Other than that and a few crashing apps occasionally its running flawlessly. I installed 2.0 on my first iphone and it ran like crap.

11. MattyK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MattyK

Mkay, guys this thread isnt JUST about the bad stuff, you can post fixes for them, or the good stuff about it! heck, just talk about the iphone if you want haha.

12. wonderbread57 macrumors 6502

Regarding the sluggishness some are saying that could be caused by a premature firmware v5A345 on new iPhones. Supposedly if you upgrade to 5A347 the laggyness may go away.

Can someone with the laggy symptoms tells us which firmware version they have?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=519119

13. jamisonprawn macrumors newbie

iPhone 3G battery not charging

My iPhone 3G is my first iPhone... and I'm definitely in love. It's incredible in every way possible. Can't fault it as far as usability and features go... it's just awesome.

Unfortunately though, I think I may have a faulty unit - when plugged into my PB, it charges to about 10% or so, and then dismounts, discharges, and then turns off before starting to charge again and then it will remount. Not cool :( I have tried different cable, different powerbook, and even tried a complete restore. No luck at all.

Because of all those different variations, and still having a problem, and searching high and low on the web but not really finding anyone else with the same problem, that's what's made me think I have a faulty unit.

So I'm off to the genius bar tomorrow morning (about 18 hours time), and I will post here with what the solution to the problem was.

14. Blackforge macrumors 6502

Not sure if its your phone or your PB. Well anyways, at work on my XP machine, when it was plugged into my monitor's USB ports Windows would pop up a box saying the USB hub complained about too much voltage being used by the phone. When this happened the phone would stop charging and iTunes connectino broken Once I plugged it into the back of the computer directly it stopped giving an error. So maybe the PB isn't supplying enough voltage through the port.

15. MattyK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MattyK

has anyone thought of having a white background on the white iphone home screen and black text? :p

16. xerenthar macrumors 6502

iPhone 3G shows the "charging" icon in the battery indicator (the little plug) but fails to go beyond the "red" in the big battery indicator when it's plugged in on USB on PC - charges on MacBook Air.

17. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

Guess my decision to wait is paying off. In the meantime I've been in and out of Sydney CBD all weekend and have only seen 3 other people with iPhones, all 1st gens.

18. MattyK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MattyK

Heh im waiting it out too,
    maby by christmas
    because somthings kicking me in the back of my brain that there will be a price drop and elimination of the 8gb in the next few months..

19. suprnovaynwa macrumors member

suprnovaynwa

I can't see them doing what they did last year about the 4GB with the 8GB this year. They'll inevitably release the 32GB, though, and I reckon it'll happen around Christmas or January. 8GB is STILL a lot of memory for people. So perhaps there will be 3 capacities a la iPod Touch.

Apparently stock for the 16GB prepaid in Melbourne is most likely to arrive this coming week hopefully, so I can't wait to get my hands on not only one of them, BUT TWO! :eek: Still undecided about colour...

Shame about the other thread closing though - it had a good run haha :eek:

20. MattyK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MattyK

yeah it was good.
    we should try make this one to the same standards!
    and i would go white.
    it looks GREAT in real life ( i dont have one, but seen them ) and arent as prone to smudges. It's real 'apple' like. The white emphasizes the 'i' in 'i'Phone.

EDIT: sleepy time, goodnight.

21. suprnovaynwa macrumors member

suprnovaynwa

Haha yeah, I was originally going for the black, until I saw the white one in real life on Friday. I think I said this in the other thread, but it looks great from the back, but kinda weird all around as it's two colours. If the front was white as well it would be perfect, but yeh, weird looking for me. As for smudges, I pre-ordered an InvisibleShield a while ago, and it's on it's way now, so it's not a big deal for black.

22. MattyK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MattyK

MM, nah i still think the black front complements the iPhones white back.
    It would be awsome if the home screen background was white with black writing :D

23. nlivo macrumors 6502a

That is what the mods are talking about when they say "no bumping".

Anyway, I'm planning on getting my iPhone from Optus on Friday. Because I'm not 18, I'm guessing I won't be able to sign up for it. So Friday is the only day my father can do it. Please, someone tell me I'm wrong about being 18???

24. MattyK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MattyK

What do you mean by 'tell me I'm wrong about being 18?' ?

25. chomby1991 macrumors member

Depends, are you getting a plan or a prepaid iphone? I was allowed to sign for a prepaid at the age of 16 with only a driver's license, or some other form of identification needed, for me it was a learner's license. Im guessing that the iphone isn't considered any different to any other prepaid iphone. Thing you'd have to look for is wether they will stock the iPhone on friday with most places lacking them.