iPhone 3G died today.....wait until June or go 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphone1105, May 12, 2010.

  1. iphone1105 macrumors 68020


    Oct 8, 2009
    So literally my iPhone 3G died today. Won't power, go into DFU, nothing nada, wont even charge....and no, this isn't 'cuz of the Rock/Cydia biff from this week.

    Anyway, the inners of the 3GS and the floating prototype seem to have the same RAM and chips....besides design and front facing cam, is the 3GS still a viable option? I'm not much for the latest and greatest anyway, I mainly just watch the MLB @ BAT 2010(go sox) Anyway, 3GS yes or no? Basically I'm letting you all make the choice for me, it's in your hands folks. And I trust ya!

    BTW I have to stick with at&t, all the fam and friends are on there and it's great having those free mobile to mobile!

    Thanks, steer me right people.
  2. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

    Mar 28, 2010
    Will you be able to upgrade in June? If so, I would buy a GoPhone for now and get the 4G (or whatever it is going to be called) in June.
  3. iphone1105 thread starter macrumors 68020


    Oct 8, 2009
    Yes I am upgrade elligable, and yes, I've considered that.....but I dont like being without my iPhone. And honestly, after years of smartphones, a dumb phone at this point might make me mental ;)

    I take it I can count your vote for the "NEW" iPhone in June.

    Thats 1 vote then, keep'em coming! ooop Pat posted, 2 votes for wait!
  4. -aggie- macrumors P6


    Jun 19, 2009
    Where bunnies are welcome.
    Even if he can't upgrade for a few months, I'd wait for the G4. Unless the G4 is not enough of a wow to be worth it, then get the 3GS for almost nothing.
  5. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000


    Jan 12, 2009
    Norman, OK
    Wait! Or at least resign with AT&T and get a 3G S and return within 30 days.
  6. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

    Jun 10, 2008
    My advice to you is to drink heavily and wait for número quattro!
  7. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000


    Jan 6, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

    I know it sucks but pick up a go phone. You will be a lot happier you did in a little over a month from now. I wouldn't recommend anybody buying a 3gs right now no matter what the circumstances are.
  8. Pheelyx macrumors regular


    Oct 22, 2007
    Brookland, AR
    Wait for the new iPhone, it's not that much longer. I have the 3g and I am dying to have a faster phone.
  9. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

    Knowlege Bomb

    Feb 14, 2008
    Madison, WI
    I usually don't participate in these threads but since you're literally making your decision based on what we say...

  10. StuddedLeather macrumors 6502a

    Apr 20, 2009
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Wait. . .

    Since it's MY decision just wait a few weeks. It'll be worth the wait and you won't regret our choice ;)
  11. nick1516 macrumors 6502a


    Sep 21, 2008
    It's only a month away just wait.
  12. Surely Guest


    Oct 27, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Same here........ normally, my advice is "if you need it now, get it now, and if you can wait, then wait." However, at this point, I'd say get a goPhone and wait it out for the next 6 weeks.

    Do you really "NEED" an iPhone right now?
  13. labman macrumors 604


    Jun 9, 2009
    Mich near Detroit

    Sell your 3G on ebay as is for parts etc. it will still fetch a decent price (idiots) looking on Ebay $100-$175!

    Take your money from that buy a smart phone to get you buy Craigslist should have some good deals!

    June buy 4G

    Sell your other Smart phone or keep it as a spare! a Good idea if you plan to celebrate any birthday party's in say a bar! :p
  14. M-5 macrumors 65816


    Jan 4, 2008
    The model they tore apart had the same RAM as the 3GS, but the chip was the A4 in the iPad.
  15. Eso macrumors 68000


    Aug 14, 2008
    So let me get this straight...

    Nearly every specification about the new iPhone has been leaked. There are photos, videos, descriptions of the casing, and details about the front and rear cameras, flash, dimensions, weight, processor, RAM, and battery.

    iPhone OS 4.0 has been announced, demonstrated, and even examined to hint that iChat with video calling is an unannounced feature.

    We know, with certainty, 95% of the specifications and features of the new iPhone.

    ...and you still aren't able to decide between the new iPhone and the 3GS? :eek:
  16. tigress666 macrumors 68040

    Apr 14, 2010
    Washington State

    Even if you want the 3GS, it will be cheaper come June. Either by being the new 99 dollar model or being able to find them much cheaper for sale used by people if htey aren't offering the 3GS for 99 dollars.

    Basically, I'm betting it's worth the money to wait even if you don't want the new one.
  17. Goldfrapp macrumors 601


    Jul 31, 2005
  18. McBeats macrumors 6502a

    Apr 10, 2007
    WAIT!... trust me... TRUUST ME... you'll kick yourself after June if you don't.
  19. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

    Sep 12, 2009
    There are big differences inside the 4G in comparison with the 3Gs. Another chip, everything smaller (less heat), higher resolution screen, better battery, front-facing camera, HD video, better back-facing camera with flash so I would definetly wait. It's one month, and it will be hard :)P) but it's really worth it in my opinion. Next to that: the 3Gs will be cheaper when the new iPhone is launched (like now it's 3G low-end model, 3Gs high-end model). If the 4G is released it will be like (3Gs low-end model, 4G high-end model).

    You will regret it when you go for the 3Gs now, when you realize you could have a so much better iPhone by waiting one month. I've got the 3Gs, and I will go for the 4G (adding +1 year with T-Mobile [Netherlands]).
  20. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

    NYY FaN

    Jun 22, 2009
    New York
    why don't you bring it to apple and see if they can fix it/give you a refurb.. is it still under warranty
  21. kyleb822 macrumors member


    Jun 9, 2008
    WAIT! wait for the 4th gen iPhone in June, you wont regret it
  22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6


    Aug 17, 2007
    Agreed. Buying a 3Gs now would be silly.
  23. Nykwil macrumors 65816


    Nov 5, 2002
    Boston, MA
    buy the 3gs.


    then buy the 4g.

    you have money to burn.
  24. bigjnyc macrumors 603


    Apr 10, 2008
    If it's really that serious for you then just get the 3GS... If you can't deal with a dumbphone for 30 to 40 days without going nuts then you have issues that go beyond just phones.

Share This Page