iPhone 3G Disappeared... Now What?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by M0bile, Jan 2, 2009.

1. M0bile macrumors regular

My iPhone 3G appears to have vanished. I've taken necessary steps such as flagging the IMEI at AT&T/Apple stores, police reports, reward ads, etc. I've checked my call history on AT&T's website which provided no clues. I have three options:

1. Cancel AT&T contract, pay $150 ETF + $70 for this month's bill, sign up for new AT&T contract, buy new iPhone (black, 16 GB) + SIM card, pay activation fee + pro-rated bill period, etc.
    Estimated cost: $575-600

2. Buy new iPhone on eBay + SIM card within days. Activate at AT&T and continue on current contract.
    Estimated cost: $575-600.

3. Pay $500 deductible on homeowner's insurance. Wait for claim to be approved from insurance company. Wait for check. Wait for new iPhone.
    Estimated cost: Time + $500.

I really don't want to use option 3 as I need a new phone ASAP. I know that you can only purchase an iPhone from AT&T/Apple (US) with a 2 year contract agreement. Am I allowed to bring them my own iPhone (from eBay) and have it activated and purchase a new SIM card since mine was stolen? Or do I have to take option 1?

2. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

Go with #3. Buy the phone now, get reimbursed later.

3. M0bile thread starter macrumors regular

Am I allowed to bring them my own iPhone (from eBay) and have it activated and purchase a new SIM card since mine was stolen?

4. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

Sure.

To add - since you're talking about buying from eBay, make sure you buy from a reputable seller because the phone might have been stolen and will be permanently blocked.

5. tdgrn macrumors 6502

I would go with Option #4

Basically what I would do would be to open up another line of service with AT&T. This will allow you to get the iPhone at the new customer price, and it is only 9.99 a month extra on your bill, and you would have another phone line to use if you ever needed to. The second line of service would have a different contract date though, so therefore if you were to sign up for it now, in two years, the new contract would be over, whereas the line you currently have would be out of contract sooner. This seems to me me like a viable option, that doesn't break the bank.

10*24=240
    240+299=539 - over the course of 2 years though, not nearly as bad up front.

6. The General macrumors 601

Just renew your 2 year contract and buy a new phone for $499 or $599, 8GB and 16GB.

That is the simplest way.

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

#3 and purchase a cheap phone until you get a replacement 3G iPhone...:(

8. Robby9279 macrumors regular

Just buy it from AT&T you never really know what your in for if you buy off of ebay. I had problem where I thought I bought a brand new one, and ended up getting a refurb... so I had to go through the process of sending it back, getting a refund, and go through a lot of trouble worrying. The whole process took about two weeks to receive it, realize it was refurbished, and send it back. Just not worth the hassle.

I recommend you buy from AT&T and just go with option one.

9. TheMBC macrumors 6502

Option #4, get a refurb iPhone as an upgrade from AT&T's website for the $199/$299 price instead of having to cancel, etc. The phones look BRAND NEW.

10. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

And next time, jailbreak your iPhone, install a lojack (www.ilocalis.com) donate $7, and you'll be able to track your iPhone and control it via a computer.

11. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I certainly wouldn't put in a claim on your homeowner's insurance. The deductible is nearly the cost of a new phone, and they may well jack your premiums up as a result of your claim.

Buy a new phone from AT&T. Easiest and probably the most cost effective way in the end...

12. jason72780 macrumors regular

And when you get your new one, check to see if your insurance will cover it under a personal articles policy. I pay $30 a year with no deductible and it covers loss, theft and damage.

13. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

jason72780,

What insurance company do you use?

S-

14. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

you beat me to it... i would not even think about the homeowners option.. they will jack your premium up.. and god forbid something else happen, say the kitchen catches fire and then you have a huge claim....

a few claims within a 1-3 year period and they will drop you. then you are looking at some ridiculously high prices as you will have a lapse in coverage.

not worth the 75 dollars you would save going the homeowners route. not to mention, it will take weeks if not over a month for the INS company to evaluate, and determine if they even want to pay out on the claim.

15. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I would get another smart phone thats cheaper for now. I would get one for less than 100 on Cl. After spending 300 on my initial iphone, I just cant justify spending another 500 on it within six months. I would just get a treo and call it a day till the next iphone.

16. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

I thought your home owners deductible was 1% of your homes value? I might be wrong though. 100,000 house= 1,000 deductible

17. aristobrat macrumors G4

I think it's only $399/$499 but you have to sign a new 2-year contract.

M0bile, if you logon to your AT&T account and goto Phone/Device, there's an upgrade link that will tell you exactly how much it would cost to buy another iPhone 3G for your existing account. It should be cheaper than any of the 3 options you proposed in your OP.

18. kolax macrumors G3

Do you not have some sort of insurance scheme you can take out with AT&T?

In the UK with O2, you can pay £7.50 (~$15) a month and get full coverage on your phone. Accidental damage, loss or theft.

Although, if I did loose my phone, I'd always report it as stolen and file a police report and say someone took it in a club.

19. pintnight macrumors 6502

How will that help if the phone is off?

20. kolax macrumors G3

It'll get turned on at some point.

21. The General macrumors 601

Yeah, I just checked. It's only $399 for the 8GB and $499 for the 16GB. So that is the cheapest way.

22. TheMBC macrumors 6502

^ No the cheapest way is getting a refurb through an upgrade.

23. jason72780 macrumors regular

I have State Farm. I called and they set it up over the phone. Then I brought my phone and reciept into the office and they photocopied the reciept and paid $2.50 for first month and after it is added to my renters and auto insurance each month. I was covered starting the second they took my money.

24. Chopper macrumors newbie

On the other hand, you could end up buying your own phone, so there's always that chance.