iPhone 3G LCD Information

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yode, Jul 8, 2008.

1. yode macrumors 6502

hey guys,
    I don't know why the mods keep on closing the threads where I ask this question, but can someone who currently has the 3G in their hands right now (Phils) check this information please? Go to *3001#12345#*, then go to Versions -> LCD and tell us what it says? I want to know if it is different than the original iPhone. Thank you.

Also, can you go to http://appleservedup.com/ and do the tests? Thanks again.

2. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Heh. Again, I second (third?) this request!

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

You guys are insane. You're incessantly nagging some anonymous dude (gee I wonder why he isn't replying?) for info on the phone. Most of what you're asking is either subjective opinion, or nitpicky/feature-specific questions...in other words, a full blown review. If you're looking for one person's 10 minute fondling session to be your guiding light as to whether or not you should buy the new iPhone, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Either buy the phone on Friday and take it as is, or JUST WAIT FOR A FRIGGIN' REVIEW NEXT WEEK!

4. yode thread starter macrumors 6502

it is hardly asking for a full review, its asking him to go into the settings and check what something says. that would take like 15 seconds to do..

5. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Wow. Lighten up Francis.

6. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

why does our curiosity offend you? i fail to understand this.

7. Fuchal macrumors 68020

If you've had one of these crappy displays, you'd want to know if you were about to buy another one as well.

8. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

ditto. i saw millions of crappy 1st gen screens. more crappy ones than good ones, for sure!

9. xbigman15x macrumors member

And the bickering is the reason why the threads keep getting closed. lulz

10. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Because it clogs the forums with hearsay, subjective misinformation, FUD, etc. One man's crappy screen looks fine to another. Go back to the original 1st gen screen quality threads and see if you can make heads or tails of all the chatter. The signal to noise ratio is astronomical. Some serial numbers were supposed to be "good", others bad...but people had good screens with bad serial numbers and vice versa.

Ultimately, the only thing proven over tons of threads was that knowing a serial/model number means nothing in the face of a sealed box and manufacturing anomalies.

Plus the sense of importance/urgency people have about getting answers to these questions is annoying. If the LCD serial number is so life-or-death, like I said, wait to hear a review, or better yet, go to a store and play with one when it comes out. Certainly something so important shouldn't be left to the reporting of one user playing with the phone in the stock room.

11. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

either way, i'm getting iphone 3g. crappy screen or not, but i'd like to know what i'm in for.

and urgency? my posts are not in all caps. i ask because i'm curious. i'm not outraged that phil has not responded yet... i look forward to a response from him. if not, i guess i will find out in a couple of days. forgive me for having a pulse. i'm fed up with hating on "newbs" and all this other stuff. just because i have a question (and you do too, but are too elite to ask it) does not make you better, on these forums and in life. and i've seen it in both forms.

this is macrumors, a website full of speculation (and talking about things before they come out). what better place to ask questions about apple products that havent come out then here? if i'm not allowed to ask these questions here, then this might as well be China where if I google Tiennamen square, i'll get 5 scenic pictures and nothing else.

if iphone 3g collected dust on the shelves, and only then (by your standards) it was alright to ask these questions, maybe the internet is dead. or maybe this site should aptly be called "macfacts."

this is where my crosschat comes to an end.

12. yode thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes please, no more off topic arguments. If you post anything, make sure it's about the iPhone's LCD.

13. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

I would like to know the answer to this to, and wether it is better than the original display. philis did say it seemed more sensitive...

14. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

I'd hope the Mossberg and Pogue are releasing iPhone 3G reviews this week. Otherwise, Apple has allowed AT&T employees and their friends to make the first impression upon those who follow the Mac boards.

Not that I don't appreciate the information from cWeems and Phils, but I'd like the first information to come from people who have actually used the device for several days.

15. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

Great post.

16. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

all it list is 3 options w/ alot of suboptions... UMTS blah, MM blah, and GSM blah.

where from there??

17. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

ok, here's a pic taken by my friend's sister's cousin's husband's dog walker, who works part time at Cinnabon and vacuums the Apple store at night.

LCD looks fine to me.

Attached Files:

• lcd.JPG
      lcd.JPG
      File size:
      37 KB
      Views:
  18. theotherrogue macrumors regular

19. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

You should be looking for "LCD Panel ID". In the V1 iPhone it will show up under "versions" after you type in the above numbers. Maybe it's been moved on the 3G phone now?

20. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

yea its not there... all it lists is service related options...

did the web test and it looks good, all the colors are bright as hellllllllllllll

21. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Well that's great news! Thanks so much for taking the time to check into this for us!!!

22. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

and that 3G mess they put in there.............

ABSOLUTELY MURDERED THE 2G IPHONE WHEN WE TESTED EM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

like the page was done while 2G was still on white screen, hah!

also sounds good and loud, very nice call quality.

23. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

Running Mobile Safari 3.1.1, I hope to see some improvements even on 1st Gen w/2.0 firmware.

24. mbaran macrumors regular

cweems,

could you verify which data plan the store has it on (30 or 45) and if its on 30, will exchange work, like it works on other ATT devices with 30 dollar plan (tilt, bjII, etc..)

-Matt

25. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

I've wondered this as well, seeing as how there are plenty of sites where people can get personal Exchange hosting.