Iphone 3G microphone not working... help!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Sdahe, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Hello guys,

Today I found out that my iphone's microphone is not working... I need to use the handsfree so people can hear me. Can I fix this or is dead?... help!...:(

2. Nicholas.C macrumors 6502a

as the 3g is less then a year old, you've still got your warrentee on it.. so take it to apple and explain.

3. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

When you say take it to apple you mean to an apple store or send it to Apple... I bought mine in Best Buy in Puerto Rico and I'm still here in PR...

4. iHarrison macrumors regular

iHarrison

You'll need to wait then until you can visit an apple store or send it in to apple. Yes...they'll cover you with a new iPhone...

5. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Would you know the address to send the iPhone?

6. iHarrison macrumors regular

iHarrison

Try calling Apple support and see what they recommend you do. They'll let you know exactly how to go about getting the phone replaced.

7. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Could it be a software error?... Can I fix this with a reset?

8. KingHuds macrumors 6502

9. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

I'm doom... I reset the phone and nothing... Nooooo

Anyone else had this problem with the iPhone?

10. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

Have you tried calling Best Buy and seeing if they'll exchange it? If you don't have an Apple Store nearby, it's worth at least checking into.

11. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Is there anywhere you can take it too? Why don't you Google "iPhone repair in Puerto Rico". You should be able to find something, especially in a place with no Apple Store or AT&T store. Here's a link that may help.

David

P.S. - If you are just posting off of your iPhone, there is a MacRumors site for that. The link is mobile.macrumors.com. It is much faster for posting on your iPhone.

12. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

I called but they said I have to send the phone to Apple

13. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Well, I'm going to place this information so anyone with the same problem can benefit from this.

I called Apple Tech Support and we discovered what was going on... It seems that the iPhone's OS was having the problem. When I take the headset off the phone the other person in the other phone couldn't hear me until I clicked the Speaker icon (speaker mode on). So this means that the microphone was OK. It seems to be something with the software. I'm doing a full restore to fix the problem.

14. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Thank you very much for the link...

15. thegreenforce09 macrumors newbie

try to restore it, if that does not work take it into an apple store.!!!

16. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Your welcome!:)

David

17. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Well, I'm still having the problem after doing a full restore.

18. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

It's wierd that the microphone works with the speaker mode on... Does the iphone has two different microphones?... One for speaker phone and another for regular talking?

19. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

There is a switch inside the headphone jack that is pressed down by the headset when plugged in. If the switch gets dirty, it won't pop up when you remove the heaset. Since the iPhone thinks you still have a headset plugged in, it is "listening" through the headphone port for your microphone. It should still be sending the sound out through the headphone port too.

Some people have been able to clean this out with a toothpick, or cut-down q-tip or dental hook. Give it a try.

If this is the cause, it is a hardware problem.

20. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

No, but the firmware contains different protocols for using the microphone with handsfree mode and using it with regular mode.

By full Restore, do you mean you set it up as a new iPhone? It sounds like a software issue to me. I am thinking that the protocol for using the microphone in regular mode was messed up and the handsfree mode was left alone.

David

21. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Well, thanks to FCP.guru.guy for the link... I went to device support center in Puerto Rico and they just gave me a new iPhone. Now everything is back to normal...:)

22. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Thanks for the recognition, I greatly appreciate it and am very glad to hear you got a new iPhone that is fully functional!:)

David

23. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

How many times will Apple change the iPhone in warranty?

24. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Wirelessly posted (David's Black 16GB iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

As many times as needed. If it breaks, not because of you, they should replace it.

David

25. Raducu macrumors newbie

Kind of same problem

Hi there all.

I'm having these days a strange, almost the same problem as above.
    My iPhone 3G works fine in a normal call, but when I put it on speaker mode, the microphone is dead (I can hear my friend through the bottom speaker, but he can't).

Anyone of you experienced this kind of problem ?

I'm adding that a few weeks ago, my right headphone (the one with the microphone above) stopped working while listening to some music. I was planning to send my headphones in warranty, but a few days ago noticed the problem mentioned in first paragraph and the second problem attached in the photo (small crack between headphones hole and the metallic frame).

I'm also adding that I've never dropped my device and I've restored it to default settings and software (2.2.1), until this post and nothing changed.

Any suggestions ?
    Thank you.

:apple:

Attached Files: