iPhone 3G - more hyped than the original?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sjw, Jun 6, 2008.

1. sjw macrumors regular

I didn't follow the lead up to the original iPhone's release as closely as I have this time around for the 2nd iteration - ie. checking Macrumors every hour and a multitude of other rumor websites for any tidbit I can lay my eyes on...

I've been amazed by the amount of speculation coming from all directions and surely they've taken it to a new level with the 'stalking' of the Quanta warehouses??? So is this level of anticipation for the 3G iPhone higher than for the original or even any of Apple's products thus far?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

In comparison to the hype prior to the iPhone's announcement in January, probably so, as we we knew very little about the iPhone - it was for the most part a secret.

In comparison to the hype prior to its release in June, I don't think so. Not only were tech sites and blogs overrun of news regarding the iPhone, but national news sites and broadcasts were making announcements as well. At that time, there weren't many who weren't aware of the impending release. Lines hundreds of people long were forming at virtually every Apple and AT&T store. In comparison, I doubt the majority of the public are aware of Apple's plans for a 3G iPhone, with techies like us as the exception.

3. neven macrumors 6502a

No, the hype is not as great. What's happening this time around is, there are existing iPhone users in addition to potential ones, so there's more talk around forums like this. But there's definitely less mainstream coverage and interest - no surprise.

If MacRumors ever implements some sort of user badge system, EricNau will get mine for being exceptionally reasonable in the forums.

4. newyorksole macrumors 68020

There is major hype for this iPhone, but not nearly as much as the 1st. Most people don't even know that it is coming, and if so, they think that the only difference is more "memory". For me, this time around, the iPhone hype is greater.

5. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I think the hype was greater on the first iPhone. It was more of a, its finally coming and everyone wanted one. Now everyone has one, and those that don't are creating a lot of the hype for the second one.

6. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Don't forget that the hype will increase *after* WWDC - There is known to be a delay between announcement and release in many countries, as the iPhone is going international to 70 odd countries officially. The U.S., UK and other current countries with iPhone related carriers may also have a delay between announcement at WWDC and actual sale. In that time, Mossberg's review will have come out, the details from the keynote will have been expanded upon from possible documentation on the Apple site (user guides, developer materials on ADC, etc), and also from information from the carriers (price plans, features as shown on their information in store/their websites).

7. 5teve Guest

Things were different in the UK. Everyone knew what was coming but still had no UK release date. Put simply, 3G is the one major thing that stopped the lines of people forming outside of the stores that sold the iPhone. With 3G most definitely imminent in the second-generation iPhone, you can be sure that everywhere outside of the US will be jumping for joy and getting truly hyped about the successor to the iPhone.

I can't express myself enough as to how many people I know that want a 3G iPhone thus not all "non-techies" are blind to what is happening.

There was no mainstream coverage and interest pre-iPhone announcement last year. Post-iPhone announcement... that's what they call, "history".

8. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

I would say the peak of all the iPhone hype was the few days before the US launch. That was just insane!!!

9. cjandnw macrumors 6502

Hype, you ain't seen hype yet my friends!

Just wait until Stevo unveils the iPhone 2 Monday. Then gives a release date / time. (Hopefully no later than Friday the 13th)

Then the media will fuel the fires.

3G
    GPS
    VOIP
    32GB
    Front Camera
    APP Store
    Internet streaming TV

Then you will see worldwide hype:eek:

10. flavamactop macrumors member

I agree that he'll announce a future date to get hype going, but I just don't see all of the features you've listed as all being included in this version... what upgrade path would they have if they throw the kitchen sink in now?

11. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Pre-announcement hype for the 3G iPhone is greater than it was for the first iPhone. Why? Because when the first iPhone was released, no one knew for sure it was coming. However, I don't think we'll see nearly as much total hype for the 3G iPhone as we did for the first iPhone.

12. newyorksole macrumors 68020

They hardly threw anything into the first iPhone and put out low-mediocore updates for the year that it has been out, so hopefully they load up on some more features.

Still love the iPhone though.

13. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Right now, no, I don't see as much hype

The original iPhone got a sick amount of coverage from every media angle the weeks leading up to the launch

I think the 3G will be their best phone (obviously) but I don't think it will match what was seen previously

I do think that between the speech Jobs gives this week AND the time in between will see a BIG RISE in hype

14. Limey55 macrumors newbie

I gave up....

The new iPhone is getting ready to come out... and I am giving up on the 8 gig I have. I got tired of waiting for Apple to come out with changes that should have been there from the beginning.

Like voice dialing with a bluetooth headset, document save/viewing, letting me use my own ringtones easily ( without a 3rd party app ), etc, etc.

I am going back to a Blackberry.

My iPhone goes up for sale next week, anyone interested?

Don

15. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

not even close. from january announcement to june release the original iphone had more hype than any other device in years.

16. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Its funny your giving up on it now, just when things are getting interesting!!

17. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

The first iPhone was revolutionary. iPhone 2 is evolutionary. No doubt Steve and Apple will induce the media to turn up the hype next week, but no way can it match the months of endless coverage in the media that followed the MacWorld announcement and kept right on through news reports live from Apple stores as the throngs who waited in line, sometimes for days, emerged with their new phones.

18. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

is anyone willing to wait for days in line for a phone?
    just wondering, because i cant fathom how one could be so devoted to technology to wait that long in a line.

i'm sorry, i just like my bed
    and besides, you'd assume there would be a heap of 3G iPhones in stock, given the hyped response to the rumours about it

EDIT: slightly off topic. sorry.

19. nlivo macrumors 6502a

Couldn't agree more. I have never read so much about the one product. I was on here so much and I wasn't even getting it. I live in Australia. It was quite scary on here, just before the launch. Then after you'd get threads all the time saying..."My first thread from my iPhone!!!!!". Crazy.

20. Samaritan macrumors member

Amen. You are absolutely spot on. The UK mobile market is so very different. 3G is a given - without 3G phones are seen as dated, or entry level.

I didn't get the first iPhone because I'm in the UK, and it didn't have 3G. Simple as that.

I know a large number of people that felt the same, and talk of a 3G iPhone is stirring up a bit more excitement than the first one did.

Now I know us Brits can be, *ahem*, "cynical" about things at the best of times, but the original iPhone sold mainly to the trendy 20-something student rather than any other traditional smartphone market sector.

This time round, if the iPhone goes 3G, I can see it selling into the more traditional (and possibly older) smartphone sector over here..

21. moveteam macrumors member

And it's like that in nearly every European country ;)

22. samab macrumors 6502a

I totally disagree with you on this one.

Vodafone released their earnings results a couple of weeks ago --- less than 20% of Vodafone UK's subscribers have a 3G phone (page 10). Their Germany, Italy and Spain operations don't have much 3G phones penetration rate either.

http://www.vodafone.com/etc/mediali...s.Par.50962.File.dat/Prelim_ Mar_08_FINAL.pdf

Verizon Wireless in the US --- 58% of their subscribers have a 3G phone (39 million subscribers out of 67.2 million subscribers).

http://telephonyonline.com/wireless/news/verizon-data-revenues-0428/

Verizon Wireless subscribers have more 3G phones (39 million) than Vodafone's whole European operation (24 million).

23. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

You give up right before the launch of the 3G Phone/Applications?

Interesting timing

I suspect you won't really give up

24. zmit macrumors regular

Verizon (let me get this right) is a CDMA provider first and foremost correct? (which is why people were questioning/pissed off/asking why the iphone couldnt do Verizon)
    . in Australia, one of the carriers, Telstra, has 99% coverage of the country with a CDMA network... however that has just been put out of commision and is gradually (if not completely already) being upgraded to a 3G WCDMA network. which DOES use a sim card.....
    now given how quickly they have upgraded the towers. i would say that its because CDMA (read: Verizon) is VERY easy to upgrade to 3G?
    so Verizon (originally CDMA correct?) have just upgraded and shifted most of their customers onto WCDMA.

of course... this is just from what ive read here....

3G in Australia is picking up a fair bit, but is still not everywhere.... and well, we all know about Japan.

25. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

3G in Australia isn't quite up to scratch yet.
    As soon as Telstra shut-down its CDMA network everything just went downhill from there.

it kinda sucks waking up one morning to find out your phone doesnt work anymore :(