Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Nope. I've never seen anything like that June 29th launch. The iPhone still had a huge element of mystique about it, which can never be duplicated

zmit

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2008
despite the fact they were warning you for MONTHS that they were shutting down CDMA? you definitely had enough warning. they even delayed the shutdown by another month or something.

you are right. Aussie 3G is not that great. i am in Darwin a CAPITAL CITY! and no one has 3G here. (optus told me last year that it was expanding its 3G to darwin in April '08..... nope... still nothing), only Telstras nextG.... but nextG is pretty good. its just VERY unfortunate that it is run by Telstra.
i loathe Telstra

Limey55

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
Trust me.. I am stepping away....

My experience with the iPhone has proven to me that Apple is a more interested in using the iPhone more as a marketing platform to sell me something to increase it revenues than have the iPhone be a great phone as well as a great multi-media device.

I can see them putting their efforts towards a slicker interface with iTunes and not the 'phone' part of the iPhone.

If the new iPhone comes out with all the 'missing' phone features that were not there in the original version, it will surprise me, but I don't think I am in for a surprise. Plus.. I seriously doubt the new iPhone will evolve the 'old' iPhone to be what it should have been. What I paid my HUGE ( at the time ) initial investment for.

Smack me and call me Charlie if I am wrong... :rolleyes:

You give up right before the launch of the 3G Phone/Applications?

Interesting timing

I suspect you won't really give up

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
I totally disagree with you on this one.
Vodafone released their earnings results a couple of weeks ago --- less than 20% of Vodafone UK's subscribers have a 3G phone (page 10). <snip>

From http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/Dundee_is_the_leading_UK_city_for_3G_devices.html there is a UK average of ~18% for 3G devices. It's roughly in line then. But that is all sales.

"The iPhone is still the single most popular model of smartphone. And it is undoubtedly the most influential. But let's not get ahead of ourselves and prematurely crown it the market king."

The iphone is a smartphone, that has 3G. There are lots of 3G phones that are not smart, and there are even more that are neither smart nor have 3G.

jmpmntwnty3

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2007
South Carolina
Yeah, only us tech-savvy people are aware of a new iPhone coming out. Most peole won't find out UNTIL it's announced, because major news sites will probably talk about it.

I was talking to my friend the other day about getting a new phone when "the new iPhone comes out." And he was like, "what new iPhone?" And I was telling him about the new 3G iPhone coming out next week. And he responded with, "What's 3G?"

:eek:

Samaritan

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2006
Oxfordshire, UK
I totally disagree with you on this one.

Vodafone released their earnings results a couple of weeks ago --- less than 20% of Vodafone UK's subscribers have a 3G phone (page 10). Their Germany, Italy and Spain operations don't have much 3G phones penetration rate either.

http://www.vodafone.com/etc/mediali...s.Par.50962.File.dat/Prelim_ Mar_08_FINAL.pdf

Verizon Wireless in the US --- 58% of their subscribers have a 3G phone (39 million subscribers out of 67.2 million subscribers).

http://telephonyonline.com/wireless/news/verizon-data-revenues-0428/

Verizon Wireless subscribers have more 3G phones (39 million) than Vodafone's whole European operation (24 million).

Well, I can't disagree with the raw stats - but I would be interested to see a breakdown by sector, or by type of phone.

I would suspect that there are not that many users with non-3G phones who want it mainly for internet/email rather than voice and sms...

samab

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2006
Well, I can't disagree with the raw stats - but I would be interested to see a breakdown by sector, or by type of phone.

I would suspect that there are not that many users with non-3G phones who want it mainly for internet/email rather than voice and sms...

There are not that many users who bought a 3G phone and actually use 3G data features.

Samaritan

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2006
Oxfordshire, UK
There are not that many users who bought a 3G phone and actually use 3G data features.

You may well be right there. Thats particularly true of 3G video calling. I have, however, started to notice an increasing proportion of my friends and acquaintances (most of whom are not techies particularly) using their phone to check Facebook and other social networking sites by mobile, and an increase in data use to get email..

Maybe we are starting to see a turn-around in those statistics. Certainly feels like it "on the ground".

earnjam

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
North Carolina
You may well be right there. Thats particularly true of 3G video calling. I have, however, started to notice an increasing proportion of my friends and acquaintances (most of whom are not techies particularly) using their phone to check Facebook and other social networking sites by mobile, and an increase in data use to get email..

Maybe we are starting to see a turn-around in those statistics. Certainly feels like it "on the ground".

I agree with that. I'm seeing more and more of my friends who couldn't care less about technology getting blackberrys, iphones, etc. Or in general, just phones where they can do basic web browsing and check email.

adamerr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2008
just a question about video calling.

does anybody really use it?
because i have found with my friends that have it, they still only use voicecalls....

5teve

Jun 5, 2008
Amen. You are absolutely spot on. The UK mobile market is so very different. 3G is a given - without 3G phones are seen as dated, or entry level.

I didn't get the first iPhone because I'm in the UK, and it didn't have 3G. Simple as that.

I know a large number of people that felt the same, and talk of a 3G iPhone is stirring up a bit more excitement than the first one did.

Now I know us Brits can be, *ahem*, "cynical" about things at the best of times, but the original iPhone sold mainly to the trendy 20-something student rather than any other traditional smartphone market sector.

This time round, if the iPhone goes 3G, I can see it selling into the more traditional (and possibly older) smartphone sector over here..

Thanks! The whole user experience and features that ship with the current iPhone are what sold me and are what I love about the iPhone. I will never say no to features that would enhance the iPhone and make it a lot better -- the ability to send a MMS for one, 3G coverage, etc. All I can say is that the iPhone is a stellar product, won many awards in the UK last year and things are about to get better!

Draythor

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Exeter University, UK
The overwhelming majority of people in the UK have a 3G capable phone. However the overwhelming majority also don't realise what this means as their mobile browser sucks and nobody EVER uses video chat!

~Dray

EDIT: Yeah I know they're sweeping statements but hey, it's true on the whole.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.