iPhone 3G Not A Hit In Japan.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Prof., Jul 22, 2008.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

The iPhone 3G is missing some essential features that native Japanese phones have had for a while.

LINK

2. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

I wouldnt be surprised. Japan is far more advanced than the rest of the world. Their stuff over there is insane.

3. macboy62 macrumors regular

macboy62

Ohhh I sure wish it wasn't a hit. Then I could find one and not be on two waiting lists with an expected two week delay. :(

4. philgilder macrumors 68000

some of those points are odd - like people still using infrared for giving/receiving information - maybe they do, but infrared here has been replaced by bluetooth. most phones now dont even have IR

ive never used two hands to do text/email etc...

just my $0.02 but the Japanese mobile market is very different to that in the rest of the world

5. Sin macrumors regular

I must admit, the most important "missing" feature I noticed when the original phone launched (and not added in the 3G) is somewhere to hang a bunch of random charms from....

I think the iPhone has advantages over Japanese phones, as well as missing out features that might be expected. The web-browsing, for example, is better than the attempts I've seen on other phones. I certainly don't think it will appeal to everyone, but I think there will be enough people to appreciate it in order for it to be successful.

Plus I see loads of people with two phones... either phones for calling people on different networks, or a combination of a simple phone for making calls and a more fully featured one for organising their lives.

6. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

I don't really find it all that surprising - Japan is much farther ahead of us (the U.S.) technologically so Apple has some (more) catching up to do

7. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

US technology, including Apple, will never catch up to Japanese technology.

Damn FCC!:mad:

8. deputylove8 macrumors regular

deputylove8

Hehehe. I wonder when will they build the first Android.

And if that Android were to be named iTouch, it will mean a whole new thing. Hahahaha:D

9. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

man i don't even know where to start....lets start with "japan's technology is so much better than ours" bla bla bla guess what it isn't and hasn't been since about late 80's early 90's. do some research. Now before everyone is like no way i know a ninja and he said......Japan is still leading the world in transportation technology. More efficient cars and the best train/bus system in the world. pretty much the only thing their phones can do (i have had just 2 of them, but they were top of the line) is play digital TV and they have up to 8mega pixel camera's. also they have a lot of little pictures of teddy bears and crap, which they love to use by the way.

Now 2nd "the iphone is not successfull" i will agree with that on one point, partly, the 8gb. You can still walk into numerous electronic dealers in minor cities and get an 8gb. Now in major cities and cities surrounding them you can not get any at all. And in all of Japan you can not find a 16gb. Every japanese (especially men) that see the iphone are amazed and want on. All of my neighbors that have seen mine want one and plan on getting one when they have an upgrade on their service.

the comment on the major thing missing is the little loop to hang a crap load of little charms from:D that is so true, but they have fixed that already with a silicon(or whatever) case.

i think that is enough ranting for this thread:cool:

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yes, Japanese phones have many features and are gadget rich. However, they are hard to use for the most part. The iPhone is a breath of fresh air interface wise.

What I find interesting is most Japanese don't use their cell phones for much more than phone calls and texting.

As for the iPhone being popular, I would venture to say being sold out with long waiting (preorder) lists is a good indicator that it is and will be popular.

11. Tres macrumors regular

Yeah it's missing a lot of features considered crucial for the Japanese market like an integrated IC card and a strap loop.

But I've seen a **** ton of people using them over here and I lined up with 13 other people at 4:30 in the morning to buy one after running around to about 10 different stores that had pre-sold all the iPhones they were going to receive. The other cell phone manufacturers over here have also perked up and started trying to compete with the iPhone's internet browsing capabilities etc.

Sushi was absolutely correct when he said the phones over here are feature rich, but the features are buried under heaps of sub-menus. In my opinion all of Nokia's phones also have this problem along with the majority of the cell phones in the world. For a lot of people a GUI that isn't awkward as hell to use is worth the loss of the other features.

Also the oneseg TV tuners on the phones over here are so crap that they're almost useless. The reception sucks ass and forget using them in moving vehicles.

12. the caveman macrumors 6502

how is using IR is "far ahead than us" give me a break an infrared port? are u serious, i forgot those existed. I am from Russia originally and i was over there last year and even there supposedly 3rd world country no one uses IR anymore so that part of an argument is absolutely lame. the only thing i hate about Iphone is lack of good camera, and if it had say 3.2 m pixel camera it would put to rest this "my nokia n95 has 5 mp camera" thing.

13. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Great source - MSNBC.

The fact is there are two week waits in Japan to get an iPhone so it appears that you and Microsoft are just plain wrong here.

14. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

The joint-partnership NBC has with Microsoft has no affect on NBC's ability to report the news. NBC reporters are the ones who write the news articles, not Microsoft employees. ;) Knock off the fanboyism.:rolleyes:
    State your source.

15. macboy62 macrumors regular

macboy62

The source could have been me at the top of the page.

I read on another thread that 16GB may not be available "till late august-early september".
    I personally was in Yamda Denki, Hon-Atsugi on the 18th July to place my pre-order for two 16GB. I was told by the staff that they were slowly working through the pre-orders as iPhones came in. One girl a the desk next to me was picking up her iPhone which she pre-ordered on the 6th July.

My other order is with a SoftBank store again in Hon-Atsugi where they reluctantly said maybe two weeks for 16GB iPhones.

Okay maybe the source cannot be corroborated but any waiting shows the iPhone is a hit in Japan even if it does not have some of the features of other phones available in Japan.

16. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Oh yes, the fact that Microsoft owns half the company has absolutely no effect on what is reported. LOL

17. Archie- macrumors regular

Actually the article implies that backward Japan uses infrared, whereas the iPhone uses bluetooth, neglecting to mention that the iPhone cant beam contact information via bluetooth either.

Some-one I know just bought an iPhone 3G and wanted to replace their Sony Ericsson, and they were trying to beam their contacts to the iPhone, and getting very frustrated because it was not working. Most people are not used to having to have to use a computer to get everything on and off their phone, and also expect standard bluetooth functionality which the iPhone omits.

18. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

They didn't think putting the SIM card in the iPhone would be a good idea?

19. A Pittarelli macrumors 6502

hmm japanese tech vs american tech... there is only one winner in japan

20. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

notice that all these people that are saying that the iphone isn't a hit in Japan, and the people saying that all Japan's technology is superior to US is from the US. I am sure that most of them have never even been to japan.....well take it from us, the ones that are here, that you are wrong... why would we lie to you? maybe we are all microsoft employees and we are lying to you..

21. zerotl macrumors member

No MMS, no video messaging, no charm hole, but that didn't deter those thousands of people lining up days before the release in Japan, do a search in youtube. They went crazy for the iphone over there.

check this site

22. Archie- macrumors regular

Does the iPhone copy over contacts from the SIM of another network?

23. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

no.
    no phone does, unless its unlocked.

24. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

How can we say after a mere two weeks whether it's been a succsess or not?

Sales figures are the only things that matters here.

25. Archie- macrumors regular

So that would not have worked then, would it. I advised him to either find an unlocked phone, copy the SIM content into main memory, then copy it back to the O2 SIM card and from there into the memory of the iPhone, or buy the desktop sync cable for his phone and then try and get the content of the SIM into outlook - all poor solutions vs simply beaming over your contact list, like you can do with most phones with bluetooth.