iPhone 3G not selling on ebay ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zanzibar321, Jun 6, 2010.

1. zanzibar321 macrumors newbie

I'm selling an iPhone 3G 8 GB on ebay. I started the bidding at 100 dollars with 5 days to sell. Its around 1 day now and there are no bids or watchers. Should I be worried about this not selling?

the item # is 270587096594

2. celticpride678

People are probably waiting to see what Apple announces at WWDC.

3. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

4. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

biggest mistake you made was not including a picture.

5. klamse25 macrumors 6502a

klamse25

Actual bidding doesn't start until about less then 4 hours left... And yeah you need an actual picture!

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

7. zanzibar321 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Nickday89 macrumors regular

when one could buy a refurb 3G for 50 bucks, like a co-worker of mine did, why would one buy a used 3G on Ebay for double?

9. apple.pseudofan macrumors regular

crazy

I don't understand it, but there are many that are going for 100+, non functional or broken screens. Many others going for 200+ with significant cosmetic damage but good screen and fully operational.

I'm going to post mine as soon as I know when I can get the new one and still expect to fetch 100+. (Mine currently falls into the 200+ category above)

I don't understand who is buying them, but good for them, good for sellers.

10. ArmCortexA8 macrumors 6502a

I sold my Apple iPhone 3GS 32GB on Ebay for AU$700

11. nlr macrumors 6502

I don't think you can find out if someone is watching your item.

12. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

Yes you can.

13. CJayC macrumors 6502

1. Always post pictures, even if it's a stock photo. I know you just wanted to save yourself .15 cents but ask yourself, "Was it worth it?"

2. Never set the bidding price near what you want it to sell for. Almost always set at .99 cent. This enables the item to rack up bids. The more bids an item has, the more confidence this adds to other potential bidders. No one will bid on an item with 1 or 2 bids next to the selling cost because they'll all think something is wrong with the phone.

3. You need to at least buy a crap load of .99 cent items to rack up SOME positive feedback before selling an iPhone.

4. Free Shipping. This draws in the cheap bastards.

14. dplxy macrumors regular

you should take better/clear pictures

the one you showing is kinda foggy

you dont have to use ebay picture hosting

you can use tinypic or flickr

detail pictures really helps :D

15. felt. macrumors 6502a

Just sold mine for $300 the screen is all scratched up some of the buttons don't work and the back casing is coming off

16. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I don't buy things on eBay unless the seller has sold at least 20 things of the same kind of item, so I can't blame others for being more carefull.

17. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Feedback is the main thing people look for besides the price.

18. saturnino3 macrumors member

I agree with previous posters -- make sure you have more feedback, definitely add more photos of the phone and make sure you list everything that is included.

Here is a link to my girlfriend's phone: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...56574&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_500wt_1154

I like to list items that end during the weekday, preferably during the morning (when people are at the office at a computer).

Good luck!

19. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I am doing this on my phone, so I can't see your item.

Based on what someone said about you not posting any pics is a big mistake, you couldve at least done the stock photo option.

You also did 2 other things wrong. First of all, you did a 5 day auction which means your iPhone is going to be at the very end of the list (or damn near close to it). That means it won't even end until Wednesday which is 2 days after wwdc happens, which most likely means people won't be interested in the 3G anymore because it'll be outdated. Remember, not everyone knows about these rumor sites, but a good majority of those people that don't know will know when it's on apples website, msn, yahoo, cnet, ign, msnbc, every news station will tell about it, etc etc that a new iPhone is coming out. Second of all, you put the starting bid at $100, I wouldn't say that's a dealbreaker but it wasn't very smart.

Having said that, this is the way I sold my 3G and it worked like a charm. Not as much as I'd like to have gotten for it but oh well....at least I managed to sell it. I put mine on a 1 day auction starting at $0.99 with no reserve cuz in this fast paced world a person doesn't want to auction for 5 days, and no one will even look at it until day 4 anyways. I listed it on Friday at around 5:30PM pacific time, that way it would end at 8:30pm eastern time which is where a majority of buyers live (a person in Brooklyn bought mine). Mine being on a 24 hour auction, didn't even get looked at once until 12AM which was over 6 hours after I put it up. I included about 10 photos of all the original documentation and box via photobucket so I didn't have to pay extra. Paid the extra few cents to put a photo up on the results page, as well as make the font bold. I ended up selling my iPhone 3G 16GB in white that's jailbroken 3.1.3 (not unlocked) for $230 + $10 shipping. I am waiting for paypal payment to clear to send it out.

That's just my two cents.....

20. zanzibar321 thread starter macrumors newbie

- i did put the stock picture, and i just changed it to an actual picture
    - its ending at 1 pm tomorrow, just as WWDC starts

hopefully i can get it off my hands and someone will buy it. its ridiculous that these people are selling theirs for 2-3 hundred and im just trying to get mine sold for 100, yet no bidders, hopefully these last 24 hours are where the money is.

thanks for all the helpful advice

21. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

I sold a lot of things on Ebay and the biggest mistake a lot of ppl make when selling things is starting the price off to high. You want to start your bid at $1-5. That way you'll get bids and keep those bidders bidding on your product. I sold a lot of items worth more then $300 doing this.

22. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Also, it doesn't look like you put anything about the OS version or baseband version. People want to know that too.

23. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

My question....

In looking at the phones selling on eBay (especially 3Gs) Everyone is selling theirs today because they are "switching carriers". WHATS WRONG?!?!?!!:D

I just want to see some be truthful and say: Im selling this one because the new one is coming out and dont want this one because it wont be the latest version.

Oh... and I want as much $$ before the new one comes out and prices drop... You know, something like that.:)

I'll take a little beating on selling mine later so Im not without it, for even a day! :apple:

24. daver.cl macrumors member

25. hexonxonx macrumors 601

So you expect this person to have sold 20 3G iPhone before? :eek: