Iphone 3G O2... this is getting ridiculous

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kaworu1986, Jul 5, 2008.

1. kaworu1986 macrumors member

kaworu1986

Am I the only one who thinks O2 is alienating a good chunk of potential customers because of all the misinformation going on?

It currently seems impossible to establish
    1. Whether or not the white version will be available and in what quantities.
    2. Whether or not the 16GB version will be available and in what quantities.
    and, more importantly
    3. Any real detail about the PAYG options, both in terms of price, terms and release date. Fair enough (well, almost: I am definitely pissed about this) not having it available at launch, but just saying "later this year" without giving dates at this point is ridiculous.

Personally, If no details are divulged after a week or so from launch, I will be looking into ways of importing an unlocked 3G iPhone from another country, and I sure as hell am not going to use it on O2.

2. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

While I agree they may be alienating people, I'm starting the believe it's their twisted way of building hype.

"You want to know what time we open? - Heh, come back Friday morning."

"16GB? - never heard of it."

"White? - Pfhh .. the iPhone isn't white."

"PAYG? - You're laughing, right?"

"Stock Quantities? - Did you not get the e-mail? - you have to guess those, enjoy."

R-Fly

3. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Those are the same questions that are being asked in all countries with all carriers. Its Apple, those are all mysteries until launch day :D

4. atiffarooq macrumors 6502

atiffarooq

Well hopefully Monday should be an interesting day, as I hope this is when O2 decides to give us some more concrete information. I can't see them leaving it much later than that, considering the phone gets released on Friday

5. ajthomason macrumors 6502

I thought that about last Tuesday (the 1st) and Friday (One week before)... and was disappointed both times!

6. kaworu1986 thread starter macrumors member

kaworu1986

Not really, I am also checking the Italian mac forums and Vodafone has definite, official pricing information and conditions for both PAYG and contracts (which, by the way, suck royally compared to O2's); oh, and PAYG will definitely be available at launch.

7. marmiteturkey macrumors 6502

marmiteturkey

I was in the O2 Store on the King's Road this morning and asked them about 11th July (because their t-shirts said I could). They said they will open at 8.02am AS FAR AS THEY KNEW - they really didn't have any info either. Must be irritating them even more! They don't know whether they have to be in work 2 hours early or not...

8. digmo macrumors member

I think that is what bothers me the flipping most. The T-Shirts say to ask for details and when you ask they clearly have no idea.

David

9. atiffarooq macrumors 6502

atiffarooq

Shhhhh. I'm trying to be optimistic here, and in turn make other people a bit more optimistic :D

10. geeb macrumors regular

How about relaxing...

Only a handful of fanbois are freaking out because of limited information.

Enjoy it!!!!

When you have the iPhone in your sweaty palm you are going to start screaming for 3.0 fw or iPhone v3 within a week.

In the real world, noone cares.

PS Im gagging to get my hands on one too...but Im old enough not to go screaming about O2. especially when we have one of the best contracts in the world...I'm looking at you Rogers in Canada.

11. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Sure on pricing, but regarding the amount they will have in stock is anyones guess.

12. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

Here! Here! I'm really enjoying the build-up. Ultimatley I 'm sure I'll get my iPhone on Friday and I'll love it. Like the build-up to Christmas when I was young the waiting and wondering is more than half of the fun :cool:

13. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

I managed to make it to an O2 store this morning.. and OMG.. was i sooooo disappointed..

The staff don't know jack!! even we *know* better!! lol..

They walk around in their iPhone 3G launch t-shirts claiming they know whats what..

when you ask them a question they turn to each other and just give BS..

its turning into an effing joke..

if they don't know the answer JUST SAY YOU DON'T KNOW instead of BS.. like there wont be any 16GB's at launch.. ****** twunts!!

phew.. got that of my chest. now time to meet the fockers on BBC3 :D

14. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

Indeed. To both "****** twunts" and Meet the Fockers!

15. badgerman macrumors 6502a

It sounds harsh but in actual fact most of us posting will be paying min of £700 odd to O2/apple over the next good few months and will continue to as we get hooked, line n sinkered into 3.0 next year. At least they could have the proffesional decency of admitting the dont know and apologising rather than making stuff up and giving out miss info. Surely saying no 16gb, no pay, no white is going to annoy/do harm to them if they have no confirmation either way. Also the area managers should ensure a consistent message is conveyed to the customer even if it is we dont know yet, but let me take your details and will let you know as we do. The only consistency we are getting is constant inconsistency from O2/CPW/apple who should be working together to make this a proper launch.

Anyhoo, that's my few pints of Stella's worth. :rolleyes:

16. SayCheese macrumors 6502a

A bloke that I spoke to in an O2 store today, did tell me that the only information that he knew was on the website and that I should look there for info.

He refused to comment on much at all.

17. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

Yup, it's still price for me. I don't care how much 'more' I get for £30 odd/month, I wouldn't use it, so I don't want to pay for it.

I'm glad to see the Pay as you go version but, alas, price..

18. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

At least he was honest. That's a rare quality at O2.

19. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

Yeah the O2 guy in the arndale in manchester ;) ... was relucatant, I just told him to cut to the chase about upgrading and he was like come to the store, and I said what about it saying on the website it's online only, and he was reluctant to look at the page when I offered to show him it.

20. WellRedd macrumors member

You're not the only one who thinks like that, but I disagree; a bunch of people on a message board is not a large proportion of the future buyers of the iPhone. They will sell millions in the UK, I've no doubt about it, and most of those people will be happy to find out the information at the time they decide to release it, and they aren't feeling alienated. They're probably getting on with their lives.

It's a phone, man, get a grip!

21. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

I was told the same by the guy in the Glasgow store. But when I asked about the opening time he said they should know by Monday. I suppose that would make sense since they would have to work out which staff could make it in early on Friday.

22. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

I'd have to agree completely. They should've put alot more thought etc into the launch. Inconsistency is worse than just saying "no", if they aren't going to have pay & go. Because then at least people would know. And, if they really wanted the iPhone, they could put some thought into a contract, instead of O2 and CPW trying to bully people into contracts.

23. ascender macrumors 68000

PArt of the problem seems to be Apple's lack of info to carriers, or is it the carriers' lack of info being passed to their stores?

This is then being made worse by the salesmen in the carriers' stores just making stuff up instead of saying "we don't know".

Add the internet in to the mix and the misinformation just gets worse.

Its strange though that we're under a week from launch and things are so up in the air.

24. zeasar macrumors regular

zeasar

How is Apple giving a lack of info to the carriers? Here's the iphone 3g, comes in black and white, 8gb and 16gb versions, and white only on 16gb version, does 3g and all sorts...

Apple do not interferer with the carrier's data plans and contracts, since there's no revenue sharing this time. All Apple do is sell the iphone to the carriers with a discounted bulk buying price and the carriers charge whatever they saw fit.

25. Mitch1984 macrumors 6502

Mitch1984

Getting ridiculous?

It ALREADY is ridiculous.