iPhone 3G on O2 UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by neiltc13, Jul 5, 2008.

1. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I've spent a lot of time studying lots of topics here and lots of information elsewhere and I've come to a few conclusions.

• iPhone 3G will not be available on Pay and Go at launch
    • You will be able to buy iPhone 3G online for delivery on July 11th
    • Online ordering will open some time during the week but phones will ONLY be sent out on Thursday for Friday delivery
    • Buying online will be subject to you agreeing to a new contract
    • You will be able to buy in store
    • Stores may open early, but if your local is in a shopping centre then it will be subject to the opening hours of that centre
    • If you buy in store, it's likely that the phone will be activated for you before you take it home

2. mailliw macrumors member

This is as clear as mud. We already know we can't activate at home, and have to pass a credit check in the store at the POS. So why would they agree to accept online orders and post them to us "bricked"? We then take it to an O2/CPW store to activate? Seems a little pointless to me, other than beating the initial queues...

3. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

great. But do we need *another* thread for it? It seems that the O2 threads are numerous enough. Why not post that information on the threads already running?

4. neiltc13 thread starter macrumors 68040

neiltc13

O2 already sell all of their other phones online and perform the credit check before supplying the handset. There is no reason why they couldn't send an activated phone to people by mail after having someone at their distribution centre perform the same procedure as would happen in the stores.

5. zeasar macrumors regular

zeasar

Nope, the iTunes 7.7 which is going to be available on 11th of July is going to include an un-bricking function. All the mobile phone companies are interested is your signature on that piece of paper called contract, then you can do the unbricking at home.

see:
    http://www.appleiphoneschool.com/20...3g-in-store-activation-process-documentation/

6. mailliw macrumors member

7. badgerman macrumors 6502a

Agreed its almost adding salt in the wound.

8. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

9. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

Great post t0mat0 - must have taken awhile to collect all the links! :cool:

10. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Ack, I collect links like a magpie ;)
    It's just a hopefully subtle nudge towards seeing if the whole O2 + details of launch thread area could be not some thread hydra...

Me, I think we don't have enough iPhone threads ;)

11. MojoWill macrumors 6502

12. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

Can we get a mod to merge and lock all threads on said topic until friday!?

13. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

There are only about 4 or 5 active ones... if they merge all the O2 threads to be fair they'd have to merge all the AT&T threads too - which would leave 2 humungous meta threads (3 with the canada thread) and a couple of extra posts.

Until launch it's going to be like this... after launch it'll calm down.