iPhone 3G Problem

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bigbro1096, Apr 7, 2011.

1. bigbro1096 macrumors 6502a

Hello, my sister's iPhone 3G is having problems. Some of these problems include that it doesn't ring when she gets a text or call even when it's off vibrate and the volume is all the way up. She is still running iOS 3.x and doesn't want to restore or update. So, with this said do you think I should call Apple and possibly get a new one as she is still under warranty. She bought her phone from AT&T as a new phone in the original box on May 7, 2010. Thanks for your time and help.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Take it to Apple if you have warranty (as you mentioned). They'll probably tell you to upgrade it to 4.2.1 and then come back later (That's just how Apple rolls). You should probably just upgrade it before you take it. Also, you'll more than likely get a replacement iPhone with 4.x. She might even get lucky and get a 3GS.

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

That's not going to happen.

It's also unlikely that she'll be able to update to the latest software if she's still running Tiger, she needs iTunes 10.1, which requires Leopard, and iOS 4.X requires iTunes 10.1...which requires Leopard. Since it's a 3G it shouldn't matter when she brings it in, but she's not going to be able to update.

4. wordoflife, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011

wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I did not read anything regarding that the computer was using has Tiger in the OP. It seemed to be more of a "I don't want to upgrade to 4.x" which I understood (or assumed), but I agree for the reason that the 3G runs horribly with 4.X.
    And how do you know what is bound to happen or not? If Apple doesn't have any iPhone 3G in stock, they might replace it with a 3GS of equivalent capacity. I certainly don't guarantee anything, but I've heard some stories of where that has happened - which is why I say it might happen. But that shouldn't be the purpose of the OP visiting Apple anyways. In any case, Apple will take care of the issue you have ... somehow.

5. bigbro1096 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone for your help! My sister doesnt care if it is a 3GS or updated to 4.x cause she is getting the 5 but we plan on using the phone and I was told it sucks on 4.x. I'll call apple tomorrow and see my options :)

6. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

I would just like to second that the iPhone 3G does indeed suck on 4.x - I downgraded back to 3.x, and I bet you're going to want to do the same if you have to upgrade XD

7. bigbro1096 thread starter macrumors 6502a

How do you do that case I never could. :(