iPhone 3G refurb - no longer charging thanks to water damage

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by staxtomes, Aug 5, 2010.

1. staxtomes macrumors newbie

Aug 5, 2010
    About 4 days ago I got some juice from a pint of blackberries onto my iPhone 3G. It worked alright after I cleaned it up, the next day it started giving me non-stop "this accessory is not made for iPhone" messages and now it has finally refused to charge when connected to a dock, usb or speaker. I've cleaned it with alcohol, poked around with a toothpick, etc to no avail. Any other suggestions (aside from replacing it or chucking it out the damn window)? Thanks!
  2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Apr 16, 2008
    At the iPhone hacks section.
    Not much you can do with liquid damage done to electronic components but replace them.
  3. triptyx macrumors member

Jul 15, 2010
    Hopefully it was off when you cleaned with alcohol.

I once inherited a laptop at work that had been Orange Crushed. A number of the keys would stick. I tried to "fix" it with some rubbing alcohol - and then lost total function in half the keys. It was replaced. ;)
  4. staxtomes thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 5, 2010
    I thought as much. I've read/seen tutorials on taking the damn thing apart & replacing the dock connector but it looked a little scary. If its dead anyway, I might go that route. Thanks!
  5. wordoflife macrumors 604

Jul 6, 2009