iPhone 3G Remains Hard to Find

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Line at Apple Store Chicago, IL today by wowk1234

Fortune reports that the iPhone 3G is still a scarce item to find. Lines continue to form at many stores, and as of this morning, 21 states were sold out of the iPhone.
The states reporting no stock on hand were Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin.
Despite long activation delays, Apple announced on Monday that they had already sold 1 million iPhones over the weekend since its launch on Friday.

Article Link

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
I am so tired of mundane iphone stories on the front page. I love ya macrumors, but please put these stories where they belong, on the 2nd page or dedicated iphone page.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Went down to the Apple store at lunch to look for cases and they were sold out and couldn't tell me when it would back in. I thought stores were getting phones everyday???

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
With all apologies to those who are legitimately having stock woes (i.e. UK customers and U.S. customers who don't have an Apple store within an hour of them), I now officially laugh at all of those who thought it was stupid to go get in line hours before hand.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I am so tired of mundane iphone stories on the front page. I love ya macrumors, but please put these stories where they belong, on the 2nd page or dedicated iphone page.
This site reports on Apple news. Is there some news on the Macintosh that MR is failing to report?

JPIndustrie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2008
Queens, NY
Great.

Another Wii on our hands. Soon we will hear the excuse "Jobs: We completely underestimated demand!" or some other lie similar to what Nintendo said.

YES! Another victory for the consumer! :rolleyes:

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
Great.

Another Wii on our hands. Soon we will hear the excuse "Jobs: We completely underestimated demand!" or some other lie similar to what Nintendo said.

YES! Another victory for the consumer! :rolleyes:
This is nowhere near as bad as the Wii (yet). The iPhone has been out for less than a week, while the Wii is impossible to find almost two years later.

Inventory will stable out eventually, just like last year.

minik

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2007
Bellevue, WA
I'm glad I planned ahead and waited in-line at 3AM on the Friday morning. With the in-store activation glitch on Friday (although it didn't bug me), I felt bad for people who got inline after 5 or 6AM.

My co-worker couldn't get one on Saturday as well.

Speaking of the Wii, I waited 7 hrs on the launch day to get one.

JC4

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2006
Columbus, OH
Oh well, guess I'll wait.

No biggie, the 2.0 update was worth more than the hardware. The App store is addictive. I can wait a bit longer to hand AT&T + Apple more of my money. No regrets for not waiting in line. I still think you all were nuts, especially if you had a v1 phone.

Fulgham

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Also, Rogers in Canada has not released the iPhone to their corporate sales department, until demand levels out.

My company is going to switch to the iPhone but Rogers' can't help us for a few weeks.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
This site reports on Apple news. Is there some news on the Macintosh that MR is failing to report?
It's not what they're failing to report, it's that they're reporting too much. The thing that made this site so great is its focus, if you start to dilute the focus with too much other stuff then the site's quality goes down. Just look at google's success. The thing that makes google great is what they *don't* put on their front page. Any good site will act like a filter so that only the stuff that's really what the site is about will be on the front page of that site. Macrumors front page is NOT just about anything that happens regarding Apple, just take a look at the page 2 stories right now to see.

dhclarke

macrumors newbie
AT&T Orders

My AT&T store let me order one-

We told them what I wanted and paid for it upfront. They said it should arrive in "7 to 10 business days."

I hope that the "shortage" does not have an effect on the arrival date. The sales associate did say that they are filling all of the orders that they are taking before they begin to replenish their stock.

geerlingguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
St. Louis, USA
It seems like all the AT&T stores are out, and will be out, for some time. The Apple Stores had (and most have) a lot more in stock. I just hope they get more in St. Louis by August 1, when I'm going to buy one. Right now I'm in Omaha, NE, and they have plenty of all the different models at the Village Point store in West Omaha.

JPIndustrie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2008
Queens, NY
This is nowhere near as bad as the Wii (yet). The iPhone has been out for less than a week, while the Wii is impossible to find almost two years later.

Inventory will stable out eventually, just like last year.
Wii was also impossible (at least in some parts of the nation, just like the iPhone is) to find less than a week after it came out also. What's your point?

There were also lines at NintendoWorld for the weeks after the Wii's release, similar to what is happening now.

It's only a matter of days before the other states run out, then it will be the lines that stable off, not the stock. Simply because everyone will realize it will be futile to wait in line for a inventory-controlled product, just like the Wii.

Mark my words. Inventory will not stable off anytime soon. It's called basic economics people.

natejohnstone@g

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2007
Direct Fulfilment from AT&T ???????

Dayton, OH is sold out--has been since about 8:30 on launch day.

I went to the AT&T store today to order a 16GB via "Direct Fulfillment." Apple is apparently shipping an iPhone to that store specifically for me.

Does anyone know how long the "direct fulfillment" actually takes? They told me it could be up to 20 days, but when I was in on Sunday they said 7 days...

Anyone in the know?
:confused:

MattJessop

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2007
Manchester, UK
I agree with the complaints about there being too many iPhone stories. Big ones about firmware updates, and sales are all welcome. But stuff like this surely belongs on the iPhone page.

Having said that, I really am surprised at people still lining up outside the stores even at this hour. Demand is pretty high for these things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.