Iphone 3G S - 3G vs EDGE for browsing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by freak99, Jun 21, 2009.

1. freak99 macrumors member

Does turning off 3G result in longer battery life for internet browsing? I've read some threads that turning off 3G can significantly increase battery life. Also, the official Apple site shows talk time of 5 hours on 3G and 12 hours on 2G. Shouldn't we see a similar comparison for internet usage?

In my limited testing, I am not noticing any significant improvement while using EDGE.

2. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

Well, EDGE data should use less battery than 3G data. However, EDGE data loads much slower which leaves the screen on longer, so you could do the same amount of browsing, but it is going to take longer on EDGE than 3G....

I'd say they'd end up being about the same in the end.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The other drawback to going EDGE-only is that you lose the ability to hold/receive a phone call and use data at the same time. You can do this while on 3G or connected to WiFi, but not while transferring data over EDGE.

4. freak99 thread starter macrumors member

Agreed, that is a great feature. No question that I prefer 3G but I was curious if I would see substantial gains by using EDGE in the cases where I may need extended battery life and not have acces to a charger.

5. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

EDGE uses more battery when browsing due to it taking longer to load and everything.

Source: Read it on these forums before. It was a topic on iPhone batteries.

6. freak99 thread starter macrumors member

So does anyone think they are getting 5 hours of 3G browsing? From my limited testing, I'm closer to 4 - 4 1/2.