iPhone 3G S Activation and purchase nightmare.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Domreis, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Domreis macrumors newbie

Hello,

Let me start off that I proudly waited inline for my 32GB iPhone 3G S for 4 hours -- I was number 2 inline at my local AT&T store. I was lucky enough to get the phone and get it activated and out of the store smoothly. It was not until I started playing with my new baby that I realized it was defective. The camera on it did not work. The "shutter" would not open. Being I had only had the phone for an hour I immediately went back to my AT&T store to get a new one. After getting the run down at the AT&T store I was told that I must go to the nearest Apple Store (70 miles away) to have the phone swapped out. After talking to store management they were persistent that this was the only way to go about my issue, even though they still had the phone in stock.

After arriving at my Apple Store I find out that I was given false information. Being that the phone was purchased at an AT&T store you guys can not exchange it because it did not come from their inventory so they can't bring it into their inventory. The Genius who was very helpful advises me to go to the Corporate AT&T store that is about a block away from the Apple Store to have them do the exchange. Once I arrive at the AT&T store I am forced by their concierge to wait in the line of about 25 people. After waiting about an hour I finally get to talk to an associate. They were very unhelpful and tried to push the issue back onto apples shoulders. Getting frustrated I ask for the manager. After explaining the issue to the manager he unhappily exchanges the phone for me. Unfortunately we were unable to activate it because the system was so overloaded.

After returning home I am able to activate the phone by calling AT&Ts 800 number. Once the phone is activated I discovered the phone would not vibrate. Being that it was already 8:00 PM at that point I was unable to make it back to the AT&T store. This morning I made the 70 mile drive again to Portland to go to the same AT&T store. They once again made me wait inline. After explaining the situation to the sales associate he gets his manager. The manager was very unhappy to see me. He told me there is nothing he can do and it is apples problem because the store has a strict exchange policy of only one product. This becoming ridiculous I go to the Apple Store. The helpful and cheery concierge promised to get me squared away. He talked to his manager and they came up with the solution that I return the phone to the AT&T store and purchase the phone from them. He then calls the AT&T store for me and explains to them what needs to happen.

When I arrive back at the AT&T store they unhappily begin the return process. They then tell me there would be a 10% restocking fee. I was shocked at how ridiculous this was becoming. I explain to them that is unexpectable and tell them if they don't process the return without the restocking fee I would report them to the Better Business Burro for not honoring the warranty of a defective product. That seemed to do the trick and 5 minutes later I walked out of the AT&T store with $300 bucks in hand. Once I arrive at the Apple store the concierge recognizes me and jumps me to the front of the line.

Two minutes later I am in the store and the Apple Sales associate begins the purchase on his easy-pay. After pulling up my account and my phone number he tells me I am not eligible for an upgrade for 2 years and would have to pay $699 for the phone. Shocked I briefly raddle off the situation to him, shocked he advises me to call AT&T and get them to authorize a contract reversal.

After waiting on hold I finally get to talk to an AT&T rep. I explain the situation to her and she assures me she will get it resolved and that she needed to put me on hold for 2 minutes so she can look at my account. I tell her that is fine and then the call is immediately disconnected. I call them back explain the situation again and am assured they will resolved the issue for me. The gal looks at the information on her computer for about 8 minutes and tells me she can't authorize a contract reversal because there is no record of me returning the phone. Shocked I had to restrain myself from loosing my temper, and I calmly ask to speak to her supervisor being that I was holding the receipt in my had stating I had indeed returned the phone. Her supervisor tells me the exact same thing.

I then went back to the apple store to talk to the manager about what had happened. He was so baffled. He looked at the receipt showing I did indeed return the phone and called his AT&T contact explained my situation to him and was told he dose not have the authority to authorize a contract reversal and that I would need to call the 800 number and speak to customer relations. The manager as upset as I was with AT&T told me there was nothing he could do. I thanked him and left the store. While I was driving home I once again called AT&T. Basically after being on the phone for most of the hour and 1/2 drive that I was making for the second day in a row and talking to 4 different people I was told I would need to return to the AT&T store to have them submit a contract reversal. I then immediately called the AT&T store and was told they can't and never have been able to process a contract reversal in the store.

So that is where I am at today stuck in a new 2 year contract not being able to purchase an iPhone at even the $499 price but the $699 price and having to ship my original iPhone on monday as I sold it on ebay. So if there is any advice you have or a contact that might be able to help me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for taking the time to read this lengthy post.

Patrick

2. fallspyder macrumors newbie

Omg

That is insane! I'm sorry I'm not able to help you though. Personaly, I would just go to another At&t store and let them contact whoever they need to contact and not leave the store until you have a working phone. That way you won't get the runaround anymore.

3. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I didn't really read it all too many words and all that.

Did notice you had to wait in line behind 25 other people who got there before you, that sucks.

edit: I read more. It sucks the original AT&T store was wrong. Little advice for the future and for other people as well. When you have something like this that is a big event and you know the people involved have all their attention and focus in one direction, if you have a problem wait. I know it sucks, you waited and wanted to get it taken care of right away, but those people were all focused on trying to manage that day in a specific way. There really was no focus or room for people coming back in with issues right away. I am sure they don't do anything intentionally, but they are just focused on something else. It is like if you could pick any other 364 days in the year, it would have been better. You literally could not have picked a worse day to try and get help with your issue.

it seems like it carried over to saturday too. Best bet would have been to have pursued it on Monday once things settled down a bit. The AT&T store did not handle it right, and I think if you push Apple they will make it right. AT&T is a more riskier proposition in terms of seeking satisfaction.

You said you waited in line at your local AT&T store, but then you talk about another apple store and the rest. Since you returned the one phone you bought to a different store, why did you just not take the second phone back to your local AT&T store, instead of driving all that way?

I would go into your nearest AT&T company store on monday morning and insist the manager straighten this all out for you.

AT&T can not leave you where you are right now. They are 100% in the wrong. Go there when they open on monday, insist on talking to the manager, politely and calmly explain the situation. Better yet, explain to him that you would like to exchange this iphone because it is not working. Don't even get into explaining the whole story. Just ask that. If he balks or anything, then at that time explain the story. Don't be accusatory, don't be derrogotary, don't be sarcastic, don't be insinuating. Lay out the facts, and then politely insist he provide you with the proper phone for which you have paid and contracted service with.

On the off chance you are not telling the truth here and you were trying to pull some game and they would not participate, then sucks to be you. if you legitimately had a problem with the camera, took it back, got another phone and got one that did not vibrate, and nothing else weird, shady or unusual was not left out of the story, then do as I said on Monday.

4. Domreis thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your sympathy.... The thing is the nearest store is 45 minutes away. I am thinking I will call apple customer relations tomorrow. I also just sent an email to sjobs@apple.com

Actually it dose because I had already waited in line when I bought the phone waited again to try to exchange my defective phone and wait again just to talk to someone about the second defective phone. Handle one customer completely before moving on to to the next...

5. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

If you didn't take the time to read, why would you take the time to post?

OP, sorry to hear all this. If I were you, I would keep working on it from the at&t end. Good Luck!

6. Domreis thread starter macrumors newbie

I have already done that. Do you actually think I will get a reply? Would it be worth while calling apple customer relations... I am just getting the runaround from AT&T.

Thanks!

7. TehBest macrumors member

OP, send user TurboSC a message. He went through a similar situation where his phone was activated, and he had to have his contract and activation rolled back. he might have some tips on what you need to do.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

That's ***** insane. I am not sure I would take such treatment from AT&T (and I love AT&T by the way) before loosing my temper.

In my opinion, calling AT&T corporate customer relations (like the serious guys of customer relations) might help.

Just keep escalating in the customer rep tier until you get to the one manager that can help you out.

9. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Sorry I got the email wrong, been drinkin, you know...

It could work, people have gotten results by using that email address.

10. Domreis thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats my current plan of attack... maybe I will get both apple and AT&T customer relations on the line at the same time tomorrow.

11. milthon macrumors newbie

man that suck! going through all that and yet you still dont have a phone! should have just gone to an apple store in the first place to pick one up! :p

12. adster macrumors regular

Hey Domreis, I send you a PM that should help you. Let me know how it turns out!

13. Universal Truth macrumors member

Personally I would sit in the parking lot outside the store and call the AT&T support center again. When I got the representative on the phone I would ask them to hold on and walk to the store and have the rep speak to the manager. Let them discuss among themselves who should approve the reversal.

14. Switz213 macrumors 6502

I don't think my AT&T account would have lasted that long. I wouldn't have wanted another iPhone (not another iPhone, but to still be with AT&T). I guarantee that if you were to call up ATT and get a supervisor, you could get a decent discount if you explained the whole situation and were assertive.

Good Luck.
    Sorry it had to be you :p

15. audiofx macrumors regular

audiofx

I had an apple store try to give me a bit of a hard time about a macbook pro exchange for a defective screen. They gave the hard time because it was originally purchased at a best buy. After asking for the store manager they worked it and swapped me out in store and with the new model (i had a 2.53 the 2.66 had just come out). I agreed to buy apple care as I wanted it anyway. I mean its apples product so they really should be able to warranty swap in store. Their inventory system is not my problem. my problem is with my device and i want it fixed for all the money I spend with them. Thats how I look at it.