Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone 3G S Arrives: First Impressions, Video, Speed

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Photo by Buckit
The iPhone 3G S went on sale this morning 7 a.m. local time in the United States. First impressions by MacRumors forum members are being recorded in this thread. Highlights include

- "...really does seem a lot faster than my 1st gen, and a lot smoother."
- "Video recording alone makes it worth it - the quality's great."
- "One thing I have noticed in comparison to my 3G is that the screen colours are much warmer - a lot less blue."
- "The screen is great, tap all over it and you barely see any finger prints."

Overall, reactions have been very positive to the quality of the video coming out of the iPhone 3G S. One user posted this YouTube video directly from the iPhone 3G S. Meanwhile, fdot posted a raw QuickTime movie (.mov file - 8.5MB) showing the raw quality of the video. Some more photos taken with the iPhone 3G S have also been posted.

The iPhone 3G S is, of course, much faster than the iPhone 3G. Some users are posting speed comparisons between the two models. We recorded this side-by-side video showing the web rendering speed of the iPhone 3G S and iPhone 3G when on the same Wi-Fi network.

The iPhone 3G S is, of course, on the left and shows a much faster rendering speed.

Article Link: iPhone 3G S Arrives: First Impressions, Video, Speed

SydneyDev

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
Wow - that's noticeably faster. A faster CPU really can make a difference to Internet speed.

Comment

williamtcforsyt

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2008
I just saw Phil Schiller at the Palo Alto Apple Store this morning. He's the man!

Awesome, wish we had some famous faces in the UK - those outside some O2 stores got bagels and bottles of water, oh and Metro newspaper.

I reckon jonathan Ive should come back home for iPhone launches and say hi :)

Comment

ifirth

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2007
Big difference in speed...

But I hope that video doesn't open up the whole debate about yellow versus blue screens again:rolleyes: - unless of course I just have

Comment

Yoursh

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
MN
Also picked up a 3GS this morning. Had to try the video upload myself. link Upload took 2min over 3G.

Comment

belltree

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
One thing I'd like to know about (but have yet to hear) the iPhone 3GS is, what exactly is the "Olephobic" chemical coating the device composed of? What is the toxicity of it and is it a 'nano' material? As people will be touching/handling the device for countless hours a day I think it is an important thing to disclose to the public.

Comment

mattster16

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2004
Activating and setting up my new phone as we speak! Excited to use it and see the difference (I'm coming from a 2G, so I'm sure there will be a big one).

I ended up driving behind the UPS truck that had my phone on the way to work today, it was perfect timing.

Comment

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
yes, like you would read negative opinons on an apple fan board... :)

are you kidding me? complaining is the primary pasttime of MR!

(my 3GS delivers by 3 pm... upgrading from 2G... sooo excited! :D)

Oh, and the increased web browsing speed on the same wifi network is very impressive. IMO the newer processor/more RAM is going to make a noticable difference across the board.

Comment

D0rk

macrumors member
May 23, 2009
UPS dropped my phone off at my office an hour ago.

I will always be amazed at Apple's ability to package a product. I've always bought my previous iPhones as refurbs from AT&T and so I get their standardized refurb phone box. This thing is sweet.

Can't activate yet, which isn't a big deal, I need to backup my phone anyways and let the activation traffic wind down from this morning.

Comment

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
What about voice control -- how is everyone liking it?

Voice control works great! I told it call a few people in my contacts and it worked everytime. Also told it to dial a number digit by digit and it worked perfectly.

Played some songs just by telling it to. Also made a playlist just like in the keynote.

It works!! :)

Comment

Bryan605

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2009
Pick up the 3gs this morning

First Impressions:

- The thing is BLAZING compared to the 3g. Boots in less then 15 seconds!!!!
- Syncing is faster, internet is fast, app loading faster.
- The screen has the yellow warm feeling. I like blue but i can live.
- Camera quality is awesome.
- Video Record is very cool. Have to try the upload.
- Voice Commands Rock!!!
- The screen still get s prints but not as easily as the 3g.

Definitely worth the upgrade!!!

Comment

Mr Maui

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2002
I'd like to see Jon4Lakers to do his comparison to the BlackBerry Storm against the 3Gs now. Bet the browser knocks out the Storm this time in loading ... even with 2 bars versus 4 bars. ;)

Comment

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
One thing I'd like to know about (but have yet to hear) the iPhone 3GS is, what exactly is the "Olephobic" chemical coating the device composed of? What is the toxicity of it and is it a 'nano' material? As people will be touching/handling the device for countless hours a day I think it is an important thing to disclose to the public.

It's likely a fluorocarbon like teflon. Just like your oleophobic frypan coating.

Comment

L3X

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2006
Chesapeake, VA
That's cool that it is about twice as fast on Safari.

Still, it's not worth the upgrade money for me. I will wait till next summer when my K is up. Hopefully, I can switch back to Verizon.

Comment

gnasher729

macrumors P6
Nov 25, 2005
yes, like you would read negative opinons on an apple fan board... :)

Emulator, does that answer your question? :rolleyes:

Comment

Zerozal

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
PA
Hmmm... in the posted video, it would be helpful to know if the 3G was running OS 3.0 or not. One of the improvements in OS 3.0 was improved rendering speed, even on 3G (not just 3GS) hardware.

I'd like to see a 3-way comparison between the 3G running 2.x, the 3G running 3.0, and the 3GS.

Comment

ferrous

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2007
Repoblikan'i Madagasikara
Blah Blah Blah

It is just so funny, when I first got my iPhone 3G it was fast, much faster than the previous one... but seriously, a year later, my iPhone 3G is MUCH SLOWER than it was when I bought it! Even wipe/reinstall doesn't make it faster. I look at the new iPhones 3G at the apple store and they're snappier and faster, than my "identical" 3G.

My point is, in a year, the iPhone 3G S won't be as snappy and fast as they are now.... I wished there were more substantial updates to the iPhone, I don't feel it's worthwile the upgrade, maybe the next iPhone 4G will be a nice change, for a change... LOL.

Comment

ghostface147

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2008
It is just so funny, when I first got my iPhone 3G it was fast, much faster than the previous one... but seriously, a year later, my iPhone 3G is MUCH SLOWER than it was when I bought it! Even wipe/reinstall doesn't make it faster. I

My point is, in a year, the iPhone 3G S won't be as snappy and fast as they are now.... I wished there were more substantial updates to the iPhone, I don't feel it's worthwile the upgrade, maybe the next iPhone 4G will be a nice change, for a change... LOL.

I am wondering how much overhead each OS update adds. 3.0 is a bigger beast than 2.2.1 or below, so that may have something to do with it. Overall, I agree with your statement about overall OS response.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.