iPhone 3G S is FASTER than Palm Pre & iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slapppy, Jun 19, 2009.

1. slapppy macrumors 65816

2. EatMyApple macrumors 6502

Link?

3. nfl46 macrumors 603

iPhone 3G S is FASTER than Palm Pre & iPhone 3G

Source: http://appleinsider.com/
    Source: http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/showdoc.aspx?i=3587

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

5. nfl46 macrumors 603

Oh yeah, I always forget to do that. Thanks.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

my 3g times are waaaaaaaay faster than what they have listed for wifi loading

7. diabolic macrumors 68000

Side by side over wifi, my 3Gs is significantly faster than my wife's 3G. We really notice the difference.

8. nfl46 macrumors 603

I agree! I had the 3G S and 3G side by side, on my college WiFi network, and the 3G S roasted the 3G speeds.

9. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

10. nfl46 macrumors 603

Lol. :/

11. slapppy thread starter macrumors 65816

Updated its even faster!!!

It's not 11 percent, its much higher! :)

It's still amazing the big difference in application launch times.

"Update: Thanks to the many readers who have pointed out my incorrect wording of the 3GS' performance improvements. The tables in the article have been updated to reflect the correct percentages. I appreciate the corrections :)"

http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/showdoc.aspx?i=3587

12. Amacfa macrumors 65816

Amacfa

So...what's new? The iPhone is still the best phone in the world for 2 years and going.

13. slapppy thread starter macrumors 65816

Application load times blows it away. Should get faster once 3.01 gets around. :)

14. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

Yeah, an OS thats 2 years old and 2 revisions later beating out a brand new ver 1 OS. Yup, iPhone still stop dog! :rolleyes:

15. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    3G S is awesome. But I am content with my 3G for now. Jailbreaking keeps me going. I'm gonna enable as many features as possible. :)

16. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

ROFL.

That is your position say what?

If that is the case then the iPhone should be slower than every nokia and samsung handset that was out before them?

I don't understand your point?

The 3GS and Pre came out almost at the same time, and apparently the 3GS is markedly faster. It is a fair comparison and speaks volumes.

You can wish it away all you want but it is what it is. Do you think Apple will stop improving the iphone and improving the OS while Palm catches up?

Do you think the 3rd generation Palm Pre in 2 years will be as significantly upgraded as the iPhone was?

I love the eyeroll emoticon. Anytime I see it I can pretty much be sure that the person posting is not bright. It is a great warning sign, "Bad information and faulty logic ahead!" Not sure why the two are connected, but they are.

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Not surprising. Good to see the improved performance. :)

18. Amacfa macrumors 65816

Amacfa

Exactly. But with all you just said, what the facts currently? The iPhone is the best phone out. (Widespread consensus)
    What was it a year ago? iPhone!
    Two years ago? iPhone!
    Next Year? iPhone!

Let me lay out the facts bud.
    ---------------------------------------
    Pre comes out with new software update, not as fast as 3GS but narrows the margin.
    A week later the iPhone re-broadens that margin with it's own software.
    -----
    Repeat for a year.
    ------
    The Pre 2 is released and is better than the 3GS
    The iPhone 4G comes out a week later and is better the Pre 2

19. slapppy thread starter macrumors 65816

He won't get it. The Palm Pee was touted as the iPhone Killer. This was to show that some PC guys can't just walk in and do what Palm can do. Well Apple didn't walk in, they flew right over and waved bye bye.

20. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

Don't mind them, I guess going by that logic Nokia phones should all be faster than iphones since they have been making phones for years. Palm has also been making phones for years, its just they sucked which is why they are in the position they are.

21. cliffrouse11bas macrumors regular

In my location the Pre is faster than every iPhone that there is out. 1g, 3g, and 3gs because ATT sucks in my area. I will take Sprint over ATT any-day. I have 3G now with Sprint and would blow any iPhone out of the water it every aspect except opening applications unless they require a data connection then I would blow them away as well. On top of this my plan is $70 a month cheaper for more services. So for me, until Apple decides to quit dealing with one company(AT&T). As much as I love Apple and the iPhone, the Pre suits every need I have and actually have grown to like some things about it better than I did the iPhone. Please don't sit there and down the Pre when everyones needs and wants are different. In my case the Pre serves me perfectly. Again, I had the iPhone for 2 years.

22. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

The Apple fanboi at work hasn't upgraded (he was thinking about holding out until next year's offering. ) and he had his 3G side-by-side with a 3GS. The difference was amazing. I think he probably went down to the Apple Store this weekend. ;)

23. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If AT&T were bad in my area, I would probably consider a Pre. Fortunately, the big three networks (VZW, Sprint, AT&T) are about equal where I live and frequently travel, so I'm good. AT&T 3G has always served me well. And given the horrid customer service and billing experiences I've had with Sprint, I would never willingly go back.

Sprint and Palm have both made some pretty bad mistakes, and both need to fight to survive. It's no wonder they teamed up.

Oh really? Because the Sprint website indicates that a "Simply Everything" plan is required for a Pre, which when you compare to iPhone plans, they come out at about the same price. Actually, with my FAN discount, I'm paying less than I would on Sprint for the Pre. Certainly a far cry from $70 more per month.

Anyway, best of luck with your Pre.

24. cc999 macrumors 6502

Hmmm my 3G is just as fast as the 3GS!

Well I just did a test myself on WIFI like the first post link and I can says that on every web site I got the same speed as the 3GS with my 3G.
    122% faster then 3G NO WAY

Charlie C