iPhone 3G Scratch (Screen)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bodah, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Bodah macrumors regular

After what seemed like forever I finally got my iPhone on Friday. When I looked at the screen today, there is a large scratch that goes across the center two icons in the top row.

Does anyone have any suggestions for removing, or possibly seeing what the apple store can do?

Yes I ordered a case and protector last week, but it hasn't come in yet.

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

2. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

3. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Yeah, no good way to get scratches out of the iPhone. However, you could argue to Apple that this is how you got it and just ship it back in. Its worth a shot if it is really bugging you.

4. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

IF you tell them this is the condition it arrived in they will give it to you. Go to an apple store..

However dont get cocky / hot-tempered, just tell the Rep calmly that you would like a new one.

5. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I would just say to Apple that it came with the scratch, and when you first noticed it is did not seem to be a problem but as you used the device more often, it became more of a nuisance. Apple replaced my iPod touch when there was a chip in the screen, although I do not remember how it got there, it was most likely caused by my own doing. The Apple Genius ran his finger over it a few times just to make sure that it was the glass and not something that could be cleaned off before he brought me a brand new iPod.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

1. It's quite difficult to scratch any iPhone screens.

See iPhone stress test:
    http://www.pcworld.com/video/id,545-page,1-bid,0/video.html

What exactly did you do that caused it?

2. Telling people to lie will get you in trouble, if not now, it'll catch up to you later. Ever heard of Enron?

7. slicecom macrumors 68020

How did you manage to scratch the glass?! I've never seen a scratched iPhone screen before.

I'd say take it back, but be honest with them and say you did it. Karma will catch up with you if you lie.

8. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Meh i usually don't like lying but just tell Apple it came that way, or the people at the AT&T store did it :D

9. Bodah thread starter macrumors regular

I honestly have no idea what happened to it.

I know it wasn't there last night when I put it on the charger. I put it in my empty pocket this morning and went to work. I put it on my desk, and noticed the scratch about an hour later when I got an email. The back and bezel are scratch free. They are covered in fingerprints, but no sign of scratches.

10. svndmvn Guest

This may sound stupid,but since the iPhone is practically new and it only has one scratch on it's glass and none on the bezel or the back,and the glass is supposed to be scratch resistant it could be a defective glass,not so scratch resistant in fact and you should ask for an exchange..
    you said you charged it and then took it to work..well,being glass,i suppose going from real hot to kinda cold may crack it..

11. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

The iPhone glass does scratch. It had happened to my first generation one in the past - using an iPod sock!

In any case, just swing by your nearest Apple store and explain that you may have gotten an iPhone with faulty glass... Doesn't hurt to try, the worst that can happen is that they say no.

12. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

If your a girl go in wearing a low cut top ;) tends to help according to my gf on returns :eek:

13. objectuser macrumors newbie

If you know you did it, don't lie about it. Maybe (as suggested by the other poster) there is protective film missing on it ... if so, great, take it in. But don't tell them it came that way.

14. CKtoph macrumors 6502

This one is going to be a bit difficult.

It's going to be hard to argue that they didn't notice the scratch when they activated your phone in-store. If you perhaps got it on the very first day, then you can probably blame the craziness of it all and the fact that the activation wasn't working properly, etc.

My phone had a very faint blue streak on it that was very subtle, but noticeable (to me at least). I took it back, and got a new one in return.

15. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It's amazing how many people are so quick to lie and deceive for anything that benefits them.

16. Bodah thread starter macrumors regular

I was going to swing by the Apple store on the way home from work and see what they could do. According to the website, they don't have any stock so I doubt I'll get a replacement tonight.

I didn't plan on lying, but I did like the idea of having the gf trying to return it.

Im just worried what it is going to look like in two years when the contract is up. Will I even be able to see the screen?

17. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

My way is not lying :p it's using female power to get what you want :cool:

18. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

That and the sense of entitlement...Clearly, if you didn't notice the scratch when you got it, it wasn't there.

19. Lumpydog macrumors 6502

Diamonds....

.....are you wearing a diamond ring? That'll scratch it.

20. Bodah thread starter macrumors regular

wow I just left the store and was completely blown off. All they said was "not under warrenty" and didn't even want to look at the phone.

And no I'm not wearing any jewlery.

21. mymacrumorse macrumors member

My advice try a different store and different trick may be... I have had experiences before where one branch says no and the other says yes... Its all down to the rep that you are dealing with.... Good luck with it ...

22. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

The only option you may have is to cancel the contract and hand the phone back if you are within the 14 day (i think) return option.

Then go and buy a new one again ;)

23. Bodah thread starter macrumors regular

I considered that, but then I would be without a phone for God knows how long while ATT orders another one.

24. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Not bad logic there...

25. Blaunerts macrumors regular

Blaunerts

Do you have a cat? It could have CLAWed it.....