iPhone 3G Screen Replacement

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by friekunater, Jun 13, 2008.

1. friekunater macrumors 6502

just thought of something... if original iPhone screen replacement cost $200 (I think), then how much do you think it would cost to replace an iPhone 3G screen?? would you have to buy a whole new iPhone?? the new iPhone pricing makes it really obvious that their original screen replacement fee was bs

2. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

I think if the screen broke you had to get a whole new phone, hence the $250.00 charge.

3. admanimal macrumors 68040

the new iPhone pricing doesn't make anything obvious, because the lower cost is being subsidized by the phone companies.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm wearing the "Team Admanimal" t-shirt. He's...she....whichever way the operation went, is correct.

5. admanimal macrumors 68040

I'm a man and I'd like one of those t-shirts too, please.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It is EPIC! Seriously, makes the girls look great too!

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

You always had to buy a whole new phone... or rather, refurb.

The original $200/250/300 (4GB/8GB/16GB) so called "repair fee" was the original actual cost of manufacturing the unit, plus a little extra.

So the "repair fee" for a 3G unit might tell us something about its cost as well.

Note: the fees have recently dropped by $50 for the original iPhone.

8. themossguy macrumors newbie

holy mikey-eye!!! (batman)

I just got back from the apple store where I tried to replace the screen on my 16gig black 3G two weeks old, dropped and cracked the screen

They do not replace screens.

PEROID!

after getting one "subsidized" phone (the broken one) I would have to pay full price for the phone.......

five hundred and fourty bucks for cracked glass? that is cracked!!!

NOT a GREEN PRACTICE, EXCEPT IN APPLES POCKET!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have lost some respect due to this practice of not replacing screens.

9. AlphaBob macrumors regular

AlphaBob

If I understand correctly, the original iPhone had a single-piece screen (glass, polarizer, LCD were one piece). The new iPhone 3G no longer glues the glass to the LCD. So if you scratch or crack the glass you might not have to replace the expensive LCD.

10. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I read this too. It should mean that eventually we'll see reasonably priced 3rd party repair services for the screen. It also probably explains the reports of dust in between the glass and LCD.

11. AlphaBob macrumors regular

AlphaBob

I've been reading a lot about that. I bet you are right.

12. AlphaBob macrumors regular

AlphaBob

Hum, I have no doubt that is true for warranty service. However, I would be shocked if Apple didn't setup a repair program sort of like the one they have for the iPods ($89 gets you a rebuilt unit).

Also, there are LOTS of folks advertising screen replacement for the original iPhone for $250 (and $170 for the parts to do it yourself). I suspect it is a matter of time before the same is available for the iPhone3G.

Personally I'd wait a month and go that route rather than paying big bux for a totally new phone.

13. mloory macrumors newbie

I just called both Apple Care and Best Buy, Apple Care wants $250 to replace the phone (it fell from about 2 feet face down destroying the screen) and Best Buy says that its $199 if you sign another 2 year plan since my iPhone is a month old I won't be doing that, they said it was $700 to replace the phone itself!!!! WTF????

Attached Files:

14. sparkyms macrumors 65816

I had to get a new phone here in teh UK after I dropped my 8GB iPhone 3G.

It cost me £139.00, which is around 250 of your American Dollars. Sounds like those of you that are told you have to buy a phone outright for 500 or so big ones are getting a raw deal!

15. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

just replace it with a cheap flip phone for now and wait and see what phones are to come. I will prob ditch my 3g for an android phone that does everything out the box, instead of waiting and hoping for apple updates. There is no way im paying $500 for this iphone 3g. Its not worth it.

16. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I think that the $700 figure you were quoted was definitely wrong. The replacement cost on AT&T website states $500. If we were close to a rumored update I'd say wait for awhile but I don't think we'll see the possibility of a new model until macworld.

I've actually seen iphone 3G's with cracked screens go for a couple hundred on ebay. I think people are buying them up for parts. Maybe you could get some money for it to help defray the cost of the $500 replacement.

17. mloory macrumors newbie

18. yode macrumors 6502

i was at the usc-osu game this saturday and my iphone flew out of my pocket as i was celebrating. I thought I lost it for a sec until someone a row in front of me picked up an iphone. When I got it back the black bezel was scratched up and there was a tiny chip in one of the corners on the back of the phone but no real scratches on the screen portion which was fortunate. Anyway, the scratches on the black are annoying (ocd) but I'm looking at iphone 3G glass replacement kits and I found this which looks legit. I don't know if I'm up for voiding my warranty just YET over a few scratches but I will definitely do it if I'm going to sell my iPhone in the near future for an upgrade.
    edit: anyone know if there is an actual 'seal' that breaks when you open the iPhone?

19. redman042 macrumors 68020

It's because of this that I have to put a case on my phone, which I hate to do given how nicely it's designed. I went with one of those ultra thin gel sleeves that covers the bezel and back. I put nothing over the screen. My logic is the screen is hard to scratch but the rest isn't, and if I drop it, the gel might just provide enough cushion to save me from a huge repair expense!

20. yode macrumors 6502

the bezel+screen are the SAME piece of glass...

21. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Sell it on eBay...you can get over $200 for it.

22. schmoopy.design macrumors regular

Pays to be nice to geniuses

I dropped my iPhone 3G with an InCase sleeve on it and cracked the screen in the upper right corner. I bought the replacement screen and digitizer from PDAparts.com and was set to do the replacement myself. I checked and saw that my warranty is not up until August 10th so I thought I would take a shot at Apple to see if they would replace the screen or phone for me for free.

I made an appointment at the Genius bar and went there today. My genius asked me what the problem was and I said well I thought I would see how generous you are feeling today. I showed him my screen and said here's the problem and I have never had any other problems with the phone. I told him I know it's not covered under the warranty but I thought I would take a shot before doing it myself.

The genius smirked and said he couldn't give me a new phone but he would replace the screen for me for FREE. 10 minutes later and I walked out with a brand new looking phone.

After expressing my gratitude, he did make the point to say that he doesn't mind helping people with this issue when they don't make demands. He said that he wouldn't have done the same thing for someone who came in saying this should be covered...blah blah blah.

Just thought I would share in the hope that some of you will share in my good fortune.

Good luck.

23. ipodfixit macrumors newbie

ipodfixit

The real deal

I repair the iPhone and iPods for a living and they are separate, I do 3G's for $90 installed and $98 for the 3Gs

24. tivoboy macrumors 68030

where

ipodfixit, do you have a site, pricing, turn around?

25. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Really? They make chrome glass these days?