iphone 3g. some think 3 gig...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alecapple, Jun 24, 2008.

1. alecapple macrumors regular

so a couple of times when ive been messing around with my iphone around my friends they'll go "yeah i think im going to get one of those 3 gig iphones when they come out for half the price". has anyone else noticed ill-informed people thinking this? do you think it may have been a mistake on apples part to name it iPhone 3G?

2. airlights macrumors regular

I normally laugh, seeing how most of the time it's one of my friends saying it. Then I say, "No, not 3 Gigabytes! It's 3G -- you know, that faster mobile phone connection thingy." I am not great with the whole data thing, but at least I know it isn't GBs. C:

3. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

4. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

try having one who enquires about broadband.....
    and says either;

ADSL (the correct one)
    ASDL
    ALSD
    LSDA
    or, in some cases

LADS

- create your own acronyms why dont you?

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I don't know one person that has said it will be 3 gigs, instead they think it's the 3rd iPhone to be released. :rolleyes:

6. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

no.. :eek:

8. newyorksole macrumors 68020

Friend: Kody, there's a new 3 gigabyte iPhone?
    Me: What are you talking about?
    Friend: Come look at the website, it says the new iPhone is 3GB
    Me: Noo Kiasia, that's 3G and it means a faster network, not 3GB
    Friend: Ooohh

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

No. The abbreviation for gigabyte is and always has been GB. It's not Apple's fault that the cell technology is called 3G instead of something else. Hell, my dad likes the CBS show "CIS" as he calls it. Also, after reading some comments on my newspaper's Web site (full of a grammar teacher's nightmares) and just seeing a lot of posts on here (how many people ask if 3G is backward compatible with EDGE?) it's apparent that no name is going to be safe.

For starters, how many people can't get it right that it's iPhone and not Iphone?

10. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

lol I asked my friend (current iPhone ownder) if she is going to get the new 3G iPhone and she was like "no I could never live with that much." So I was like... "that much what...?" and she was like "3g can't hold nearly enough music!"

i just laughed. lol.

11. Fontenette Yo! macrumors regular

Fontenette Yo!

No all of my friends are Apple fanboys and we all know whats up.

12. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

Same thing happened with one of my cousins. I noticed he had an iPhone so I mention I'm going to get the new. I can't recall if I asked if he was going to upgrade, but he either brings up how he won't get one because it has less space, or he asked doesn't that one have half the space. I'm like what, less space? He says 3 gigs. No no no (shaking my head), that's 3G, the faster network for download speeds, it still has the same space. Then it got awkward so I cut that conversation shorter than expected :)

I was totally taken off guard by that, never did that cross my mind before. But now looking back, you see 3G, half the price, so some might assume it's just a new third model with only 3gigs at a lower price than the other models.

13. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Are you guys nerds? :cool:

No pun intended.

14. macsensei macrumors member

macsensei

yeah some people think 3G means 3rd generation. funny

15. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

Me at the bar a week after getting the old iphone and this girl sees me using it says to me: "Hey, you know they're gunna make an iphone nano in the fall?"

Me: picard.jpg

16. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

And even still, if someone knows what 3G is, come the 11th as they sign up many will be shocked to find out they're no where near a 3G network because they just assumed it was everywhere after the outcry to have 3G. And all their wait was just for GPS and $10-$15 extra a month for the same EDGE plus text, and possibly not even eligible to buy it at a subsidized price.

17. tjespo22 macrumors 6502a

tjespo22

yea someone said this to me recently and i just said yea and didnt correct them

18. beatledud macrumors 6502

It's an awful unfortunate name. Apple has commonly referred to their iPods as 1G, 2G, 3G, 4G referring to the different generations of the iPod. This of course is technically a 2G(eneration) iPhone that supports a 3G(eneration) cellular network. Now Apple should have just called this the 2G iPhone with the new high-speed technology, and that would have satisfied the masses and made sense at the same time. But it was all of us obsessed fans that were constantly wondering, will the next iPhone have 3G cellular support, and we shortened it to iPhone 3G, which Apple somewhat adopted. Note to Apple, kill the term and call is iPhone 2G, now twice as fast.

19. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

3G Does mean 3rd generation...

the 3rd. generation cellular data network, not the 3rd generation iPhone ;)

20. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

I think they should have just called the new iPhone the errrrrm iPhone.

21. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

Haha. This is funny. I haven't heard the "3GB" iPhone yet, but I'm sure I will.

My wife still can't get the hang of "rip", "burn", and "download".

Her: "Did you download that CD for me yet?"
    Me: "Yes, we bought it on iTunes a month ago, remember?"
    Her: "Wait, I mean, have you ripped it for me yet?"
    Me: "I can't rip it because I never had it on CD to begin with. We bought it on iTunes."
    Her: "<sigh> I want to listen to it on CD in the car. Have you made that for me yet?"
    Me: "Oh, you are asking whether I burned it to a CD for you. Yeah, I did that yesterday. Here you go."

22. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Okay. From now on, instead of actually facepalming, I'm just going to say that.

23. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

Agreed.

They didnt go around changing the name of the iPod every time a new one came out (until they decided to rename it the Classic once they had too many different lines).

The iPhone should still just be called the iPhone.

24. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

It's like when they released version 2 of Safari. They originally called it Safari RSS (stupid name). Thank god that didn't stick.

25. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

My friend is getting one, and I told him the 16gig was only 299 and he's like "only 100 bucks for 13 more gigs?!?!"

:rolleyes: