Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JustinK101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
I would like to teather my iPhone (firmware: 2.0) with my MacBook so when I am in the car I can use the 3g internet on my laptop. Is this possible?

Thanks.

thechidz

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2007
New York City
I would like to teather my iPhone (firmware: 2.0) with my MacBook so when I am in the car I can use the 3g internet on my laptop. Is this possible?

Thanks.
not yet, but even if it is when its jailbroken it wont be very good. Better bet is to get an unlocked sierra 881 wireless card and use the sim for data access

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
this may be possible
but i think i remember reading that it isnt

either way, i hope you dont plan on being the actual DRIVER and trying to use your laptop at the same time

Red Sox

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2007
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to tether it using the same method as the original iPhone. Just as soon as 2.0 gets jailbroken.

rasmasyean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
afaik, I don't think official support for tethering is on the 3G phone. Maybe someone will hack it in later? Or maybe not if they included a "counter" to that in the new device.

Can you tether the original through WiFi?

I know Windows Mobile devices can tether via WiFi with an app that makes the phone a "mobile hotspot" and you can even put WEP, WPA on it, etc. or just leave it open for the public. But Windows has this thing called "Internet Connection Sharing" built into the OS. The funny thing about this is that you don't even need a tethering plan because it just uses the data plan. heh

JustinK101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Any update on this? I prefer not to jail break my 3g phone? Any thing on the app store? On a 6 hour train ride with my MacBook. :) LOL.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Any update on this? I prefer not to jail break my 3g phone? Any thing on the app store? On a 6 hour train ride with my MacBook. :) LOL.
Yes you could do this with the App called Netshare. Sadly Apple pulled it from the AppStore. Tethering with an iPhone is a violation of the TOS with ATT btw.

The only way now is to jailbreak.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
Netshare seems to have been the only option short of JBing your iPhone. BTW I got my first AT&T bill after using Netshare a bit this last month, they didn't seem to notice my usage. Of course I don't use bit torrent's or anything along those lines. I just used it for surfing and to test it as a backup to my laptop connect card, when I'm on the road.

I'm using it now to see if it still work's with 2.0.2 and it seems to be fine, I wish AT&T would allow this as an add on option to your calling plan so I could dump my laptop connect card. *sigh*

JustinK101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Anyway if you sync and backup netshare, for me to download the app into my iTunes and then sync to my phone? So lame apple took it off. I would pay like in excess of 20 for an app that allows me to use my phone as a wifi Internet connection.

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
not yet, but even if it is when its jailbroken it wont be very good. Better bet is to get an unlocked sierra 881 wireless card and use the sim for data access

May I know why it won't be very good?

I use this program called Netshare (bought it before it was pulled from App store)... from my knowledge, they are out with the same program in Cydia.
This program is excellent and i used it for the 3 days I did not have internet at my new apartment...

JustinK101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
is it possible for any of you that have netshare to sync and then take it and upload it on the web for me to download into my iTunes and then sync to my phone?

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
is it possible for any of you that have netshare to sync and then take it and upload it on the web for me to download into my iTunes and then sync to my phone?

it's like asking people who buy iTunes DRM-ed song to send it to you... it won't work unless you strip the DRM and I do not know how ;)

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ

Does not work like that. If you were not able to download it when it came out the only way you will be able to tether is by jailbreaking.

thechidz

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2007
New York City
May I know why it won't be very good?

I use this program called Netshare (bought it before it was pulled from App store)... from my knowledge, they are out with the same program in Cydia.
This program is excellent and i used it for the 3 days I did not have internet at my new apartment...

well, when I used to do it all I could get was verrrry slow browser activity. no mail, ichat or anything like that. but perhaps its changed since then. doesnt matter for me because I use an unlocked wireless card now and its a very fast connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.