iPhone 3G Teather With MacBook

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JustinK101, Jul 14, 2008.

1. JustinK101 macrumors newbie

I would like to teather my iPhone (firmware: 2.0) with my MacBook so when I am in the car I can use the 3g internet on my laptop. Is this possible?

Thanks.

2. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

not yet, but even if it is when its jailbroken it wont be very good. Better bet is to get an unlocked sierra 881 wireless card and use the sim for data access

3. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

this may be possible
    but i think i remember reading that it isnt

either way, i hope you dont plan on being the actual DRIVER and trying to use your laptop at the same time

4. JustinK101 thread starter macrumors newbie

dccorona: LOL, no, not driving and using the laptop.

5. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

no its not, yet

but when its JB it will be

6. Red Sox macrumors regular

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to tether it using the same method as the original iPhone. Just as soon as 2.0 gets jailbroken.

7. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

afaik, I don't think official support for tethering is on the 3G phone. Maybe someone will hack it in later? Or maybe not if they included a "counter" to that in the new device.

Can you tether the original through WiFi?

I know Windows Mobile devices can tether via WiFi with an app that makes the phone a "mobile hotspot" and you can even put WEP, WPA on it, etc. or just leave it open for the public. But Windows has this thing called "Internet Connection Sharing" built into the OS. The funny thing about this is that you don't even need a tethering plan because it just uses the data plan. heh

8. JustinK101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Any update on this? I prefer not to jail break my 3g phone? Any thing on the app store? On a 6 hour train ride with my MacBook. :) LOL.

9. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

*sigh* i wish I would have purchased NetShare on the App Store when it was still on there :(

10. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Yes you could do this with the App called Netshare. Sadly Apple pulled it from the AppStore. Tethering with an iPhone is a violation of the TOS with ATT btw.

The only way now is to jailbreak.

11. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Netshare seems to have been the only option short of JBing your iPhone. BTW I got my first AT&T bill after using Netshare a bit this last month, they didn't seem to notice my usage. Of course I don't use bit torrent's or anything along those lines. I just used it for surfing and to test it as a backup to my laptop connect card, when I'm on the road.

I'm using it now to see if it still work's with 2.0.2 and it seems to be fine, I wish AT&T would allow this as an add on option to your calling plan so I could dump my laptop connect card. *sigh*

12. JustinK101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyway if you sync and backup netshare, for me to download the app into my iTunes and then sync to my phone? So lame apple took it off. I would pay like in excess of 20 for an app that allows me to use my phone as a wifi Internet connection.

13. JustinK101 thread starter macrumors newbie

In the mean time I am going to wonder down to the train bar car. :) lol

14. illutionz macrumors 65816

May I know why it won't be very good?

I use this program called Netshare (bought it before it was pulled from App store)... from my knowledge, they are out with the same program in Cydia.
    This program is excellent and i used it for the 3 days I did not have internet at my new apartment...

15. macwall macrumors 6502

16. JustinK101 thread starter macrumors newbie

is it possible for any of you that have netshare to sync and then take it and upload it on the web for me to download into my iTunes and then sync to my phone?

17. illutionz macrumors 65816

it's like asking people who buy iTunes DRM-ed song to send it to you... it won't work unless you strip the DRM and I do not know how ;)

18. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Does not work like that. If you were not able to download it when it came out the only way you will be able to tether is by jailbreaking.

19. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

well, when I used to do it all I could get was verrrry slow browser activity. no mail, ichat or anything like that. but perhaps its changed since then. doesnt matter for me because I use an unlocked wireless card now and its a very fast connection.

20. kobefan234 macrumors 6502

kobefan234