iPhone 3G tethering (using as modem for PC)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rickdorr, Jun 11, 2008.

1. rickdorr macrumors newbie

From a chat with an AT&T online agent:

We offer three data package options for your PDA/SmartPhone device. PDA Personal is $30 per month and includes unlimited data and email usage for your PDA or SmartPhone. Second, PDA Personal Bundle is $50 per month and it includes unlimited data and email plus the added benefit of unlimited messaging (such as text, picture messaging or instant messaging). Finally, the PDA Personal with Tethering is $60 and allows you to use your PDA or SmartPhone as a modem for your personal computer. (up to 5GB per month)

2. peterja macrumors regular

peterja

And iPhone 3G is supposed to support it?
    I hope it does, someone mentioned Bluetooth tethering in another thread.
    However a bit cheap not to allow it on the $30/50 plans.

3. Red Sox macrumors regular

I'm sure it will be a matter of days before you will be able to jailbreak an iPhone 3G and tether it without paying extra, just as you can with the current one.

4. Vster macrumors 6502

Legit tethering sounds cool, WoW 24/7 here i come! :cool:

5. HymerSchmidt macrumors newbie

HymerSchmidt

I'm pretty sure the iPhone is excluded from this. Unless it's mentioned specifically, which I still wouldn't believe if from an ATT rep, I wouldn't count on this.

I'm waiting for the tool for it and then I'll jailbreak.

6. nathanj.massey macrumors newbie

There was some chatter a few weeks ago about O2 letting you tether the new iPhone for use as a modem. I don't understand why Apple and O2/AT&T wouldn't let you use it as a modem, almost every other smartphone on the market does.

I'd probably even pay an extra £5 or £10 on top of my current plan to use the iPhone as a modem.

7. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

Said AT&T rep doesn't know crap from a hole in his/her head. they do NOT allow tethering on the iPhone and the iPhone (without jailbreaking it) is not able to tether to a laptop. WITH Jailbreak, you can run TinyProxy that will let you tether with your laptop vi Wifi, with the iPhone then bridging to the Cell network...

Unforutnately, that's your only option right now... I REALLY wish they'd fix that though... I NEED to be able to tether.

8. HymerSchmidt macrumors newbie

HymerSchmidt

They don't have TinyProxy running on the 2.0 software do they?

9. djwobble macrumors regular

With 3g, they need to do it now! :)

TinyProxy... cmon!

10. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

afaik, I don't think official support for tethering is on the 3G phone either. Maybe someone will hack it in later? Or maybe not if they included a "counter" to that in the new device.

Can you tether the original through WiFi?

I know Windows Mobile devices can tether via WiFi with an app that makes the phone a "mobile hotspot" and you can even put WEP, WPA on it, etc. or just leave it open for the public. But Windows has this thing called "Internet Connection Sharing" built into the OS. The funny thing about this is that you don't even need a tethering plan because it just uses the data plan. heh

I think we have a "Steve Job's Vision" going on here where he want's to change the meaning of mobile internet access through the Safari browser or something. haha