Iphone 3G, to buy or not to buy?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by JamesGorman, Mar 29, 2011.

1. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Hey everyone, I recently was approached by a friend who has offered to trade me his iPhone 3G, for my blackberry bold 9700. I want an iphone, but I dont know if the iphone will be slower or faster than my berry. I think the iPhone will be quicker, but im not 100% sure. What do you guys think?

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I would trade because personally I can't do anything on a Blackberry compared to an iPhone but its up to you and how you use your BB.

3. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

All i really do on it is bbm/text msging. I could definetly use the better browsing, and apps.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Well all I do on my phone is text messaging and browsing too, and the iPhone is great doing that. I think you'd like apps. You wont be able to do BBM but it seems like RIM will be releasing that to other platforms. I'd ask your friend and see if he would be willing to test each others device out before fully switching.

5. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I know ill love the apps haha. Ive had ipod touches for a few years now. I think ill be very pleased with the iphone. I do plan on switching to a iphone 4 or 5, when it comes out, in the near future, but I just want to go iPhone already. My only concern is that it will lag and be slower than my bold is.

6. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Ask your friend what version the OS is on the iPhone. It gets VERY laggy after 4.0 on a 3G.

7. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Not an issue. Ive seen 4.2 running fine on 3g iphones. And if it is laggy, I can downgrade it.

8. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

If you really want it, I'd make sure you downgrade it.

Sure it doesn't seem laggy at first, but the second you ask it to do something remotely taxing it just folds.

I'm trying to get rid of mine, but can't find a suitable replacement at the right price. Trade in websites are only offering £100 for it.

Regarding BBM, give Whatsapp a shot. It's multiplatform, including Blackberry, and is pretty good.

I personally wouldn't bother getting a 3G now. Though I have no experience with a blackberry, I find it hard to believe that it could be slower than a 3G running any version of iOS 4.

9. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Ive decided against it. Im going to just get a 3gs.