Iphone 3G to IOS 4 ????

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ahsansaeed, Feb 20, 2011.

1. ahsansaeed macrumors newbie

I have Iphone 3G with IOS 3.1.2 which is running good..But i wanted to have IOS 4 update on it so that i can have multitasking, Folder and wallpapers features but little worried that it might get slow as i have heard from few people...Please give any suggestion should i update or not if its worth it???

2. 03sho macrumors 6502a

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

There is no multitasking or backgrounds for the 3G. Only folders. And it will make your phone extremely slow.

4. ahsansaeed thread starter macrumors newbie

so in conclusion i should rather stay with IOS 3..hmmmmm

5. comeheretellme macrumors newbie

My cousin has the 3g and he downloaded IOS 4, the thing is, it didn't enable wallpaper nor multi-tasking. Just folders and zoom on the camera-and a few other things (I think). It's a bit slower than before apparently. What I say is that you should try it, and if you don't like it, just reset your iPhone. It's better to know than to wonder ''what if''-excuse me for using a generic quote. :)

6. jenzjen macrumors 68000

If you really want iOS 4 features, I would jailbreak and unlock the 3G, sell it and use this $ to buy a used 3GS or 4 depending on what you can afford.

You will HATE the 3G with the iOS 4 software. It is painfully slow, check YouTube for videos.

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

He can't go back once he installs the newer firmware. Bad advice.

My wife updated to iOS4 on her 3G and it really is dog slow. She doesn't really have all that much on it either, she's a non-techie and even she complains.

8. comeheretellme macrumors newbie

Oops, sorry for the bad advice. :s

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Don't worry. It's happened to me a few times. :eek: At least you tried to help him.

10. Eternal 28 macrumors 6502

You can downgrade iOS 4.0 and up on a iPhone 3G! You just have to put your iPhone in dfu mode and hold shift and restore on windows or hold command and restore on Mac and select the iPhone 3G 3.1.3 firmware and restore it and when it's complete it will give you an error, then use tiny umbrella to kick it out of recovery mode. Bam you're back on iOS 3.1.3, the best firmware for iPhone 3G.

11. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Are you jailbroken with your blobs saved? I bet he isn't and doesn't have them saved. The average Joe can't downgrade.

12. Tailpike1153 macrumors 6502a

Tailpike1153

The zoom feature on the camera was a welcome addition. But at times the phone sometimes feels slower that molasses when scrolling or trying kill apps. If you don't like it, you can always back out and go back to 3.

13. Eternal 28 macrumors 6502

iphone 3g never required blobs for iOS 3.1.3 and under. Only for iOS 4.0 and up it did. Only iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 required blobs for any firmware to be downgraded unless it's still being signed by apple.

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I remember it differently. Apparently I'm wrong. Sorry for the confusion.