iPhone 3G to iPhone 4 or Blackberry Bold 9700?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMacBoy, Nov 20, 2010.

1. iMacBoy macrumors 6502

I currently have the iPhone 3G, and i am thinking about getting a new phone, can someone give me some advice and opinions on whether to upgrade to iPhone 4 or get Blackberry bold 9700?

I am 14 also.

Please only give me your opinion if you have used or have both, don't just comment saying iPhone 4 just because you have it.

Thanks.

2. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

Try them both in store to see which ones you prefer. Also look at the Blackberry torch 9800 and the blackberry bold 9780 which is the upgraded version of the 9700. Try and stay off the 9700. As its not the greatest model and you want to be slightly future :)

3. iMacBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

I have seen them, i just want more opinions from people.

4. iMacBoy thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay thanks, i never knew there was a 9780 lol, i can't find it on Blackberry website?

5. rk1991 macrumors regular

the 9780 is out yet. If i am not mistake it has only been announced by carriers that are going to sell it like t-mobile

6. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

Do you live in the US or UK? A few carriers in the UK have announced the phone.

7. cecoleman macrumors regular

Seriously if you are AT&T, why would anyone not get an iPhone if they were looking for a smartphone. Recently the iPhone 4 garnered the highest customer satisfaction rating among all smart-phones. Prior to that it was rated the most reliable at 2.1% failure rate compared to Blackberry's 6%. So highest satisfaction rate, and most reliable. I think you know which one to get.

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'm 14 too, and all of my friends (my age) have a Blackberry. Why though? Why would you want a Blackberry? They are really just good for corporate email because they are secure (too secure for some countries :rolleyes: ) but other than that, It seems like you can't do much on them. You can't browse the web like you can on your iPhone, you don't have nearly all the feature you do on your iPhone (apps included. I can download games, use Shazam, use a dictionary, use ANYTHING on my iPhone).

I've seriously been considering a Samsung Captivate though, because I find my iPhone (3GS) a bit boring now and I am liking Android a bit. The Captivate is gorgeous too. I'm going to ask if I can upgrade in Christmas, and I'll decide from there if I want a Captivate or iPhone ... depending on if I get a Yes or No :p

9. JCCL macrumors 6502a

In my opinion, even your iPhone 3G is a better phone than that Blackberry. iPhone 4 is a no brainer there.

10. bizfox macrumors member

Your decision should depend on what you'd like to do with your next device. If you'd like a smartphone that does messaging and email well, then go Blackberry. If you'd like something that has more flexibility, including the messaging and browsing, then the iPhone may be better for you.

I personally had a long history with BlackBerry devices, and they're pretty good for what they do. However, because of the wobbly Torch and my desire for better browsing and applications for work and play, I switched to the iPhone 4.

Note: Since you have many friends with BBs, also figure out if you can live with the BB Messenger or not. For me, my BBM buddies also have Yahoo, so switching devices is not a problem for me.

11. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Don't waste your time with the 9800 torch. Both my brothers who have the 9700 bold both upgraded to the torch and both were dissatisfied with it. Went right back the 9700 right away.

12. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

13. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I agree. I'd rather have an iPhone 3G than any new Blackberry they have out there.

14. zephxiii macrumors 6502

if you like to web surf, do not get the blackberry.

15. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If you like to use the phone for anything more than email or phone calls, than get an iPhone.

Blackberry has almost no worthwhile apps.

16. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Being 14, honestly I think you would enjoy the iPhone 4.

17. aohus macrumors 68000

+1 on that, but based on your OP, thread starter, you seem very business oriented.

If you want good grades and laser focused on performing well in school, get the blackberry, theres less distractions on it.

18. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

Since you are 14, I would get the iPhone 4 as it has more options for games and such than the blackberry...
    But the 9700 is a sexy phone

19. tiartrop macrumors regular

iPhone 4

I have both phones and I don't think you'd enjoy 9700 as much as you'd enjoy iPhone 4. The reason only I think you'd want to get a Blackberry is if most of your friends are using it too.

20. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

iPhone 4

its amazing how fast you get sick of bbm

21. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I disagree. All of my friends (myself included) have iPhones but our grades don't suffer. Its whether your addicted to your device or not (blackberry, iPod, iPhone, Android .. etc) but you just have to be smart about it.

22. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

23. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Hmmm.... Let's see...... At the top of these it says ..... iPhone forums.... Hmmmmm... I wonder what most people here are going to say. Funny thing is that at crackberry.com they all say the opposite. Honestly it depends on what you want and need, and you really didn't give any information on how you would be using the phone. Well, you already have the iPhone 3G, so why are you thinking about getting the blackberry? Once you figure that out, would that be worth getting over the iPhone 4? Without any more info there really isn't much to tell you other than I carry two phones, and for my hard earned money I chose the iPhone 4 for one and a palm pre plus for the other, but those are just my preferences.

24. jlw2387 macrumors member

I wish they had iPhones when I was 14... I did get a brand new black and white Nokia when I was 16 though. It had Snake.