iPhone 3g to Storm?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 08mxkfx, Feb 24, 2009.

1. 08mxkfx macrumors regular

08mxkfx

Ive had an iPhone since it was released and had an iPhone 3G since it was released. Im debating about getting rid of it for a BlackBerry Storm. Its not that i dont like the iPhone its just that im kind of getting bored of the phone and ATT service isnt that great for me since i dont have 3G where i live and i travel alot and all my friends with Verizon have service and im stuck with nothing. Im just trying to get people opinions who have switched. Also how hard would it be to sync all my address book contact from my mac to the BlackBerry? I heard there a programs called the missing sync or something like that, that will let me sync my mac to a blackberry. Also is it possible to tether the storm to a macbook to use its internet on my macbook?

2. Pennyroyal macrumors member

Well, if your local service sucks then go for it. Honestly I would find somebody who has one and ask them to play around with it. If you think you'll like it better than switch. Its cool to get reviews but when its a question of how happy you'll be with a certain device, only you can really know.

3. Oilbrnr macrumors 6502

I have a 3G (personal) and a Storm (work).

The Storm is by far, the worst device I've ever used! Oh, and I've had more dropped calls on it, than I have on the iPhone, so that is not saying much.

Just go http://forums.crackberry.com/f133/

4. davyreins macrumors 6502

People that I have talked to who have the Storm have been pretty disappointed.

5. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

I know one person who has had a Storm.

She took it back after 3 days and got something else.

6. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

7. M3NACING macrumors newbie

I have a co-worker at work who owns a Storm. He's had it since they came out and since then, we would always go back and forth talking about things we can do with our phones. Then a couple days ago, he came by my desk and basically said that he made a mistake and should have gotten the iPhone instead :rolleyes: In his own words, "I just realized that the Storm is a piece of crap". I don't totally agree with his statement but being an iPhone owner, I tend to agree;)

--Lesson learned

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I've only played with one for a few minutes, but I really didn't like typing on it. Found it very difficult. So definitely try it out before you buy.

9. finalcut macrumors 6502

I own the iphone 3G and my boss has the storm, that I've tried a couple time. There is no way in hell I'd switch to storm. I live in Canada and switching from Bell who has thr storm to Rogers who has the iphone is the best move I have ever made!

In your case, it looks like the oposite. ATT doesn't give you the best you can get. I'd get a BB Bold if I were you

10. Katuls macrumors member

Obviously, you're going to get a bad opinion on the storm since there are so many fan boys here in the forums. I've used the Storm quite extensively, and I must say that Blackberry has fixed anything that was wrong with it. Its faster than my 3g; both the OS and 3g. Although it doesn't have the amount of multimedia options the iphone has, the Storm is a great choice.

11. AdventurousJosh macrumors 6502

LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I tried my coworkers storm for a few minutes and couldnt stand it.
    I was trying to type and couldnt get anything spelled right. The touch/push in screen is terrible IMO.

13. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

but he doesnt live where you live so his dropped calls will be different do to service

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

:rolleyes: So when I say he should get the Bold instead of the Storm, that means I'm an Apple fanboy?

Here's a thought: Maybe we all have valid opinions based on our experiences.

15. harry454 macrumors 6502

Storm touch screen is horrible, you actually have to click to open a app or hold your finger there for like 3-4 seconds, horrible

16. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

It's kind of sad the Bold is faster than the Storm. Blackberry should just keep with their texting/email capabilities on their phones and let Apple dominate the touch screen/multimedia market. If you are the kind of guy that loves texting and wants full email/copy/paste capabilities, I recommend you get a Bold. If you just care about multimedia, web surfing, get an iPhone.

17. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

DONT DO IT. I got a wild hair one day and decided that I was going to switch my wife and I to Verizon and purchased two storms. I was also bored with the iphone and ready for a change. So I sold my 16g 3g and all my accessories to a friend for 250. Didnt sell my wifes because I didnt have a buyer. So I get home with these POS phones called the Storms and I try to sync our music and contacts with our macbooks. Needless to say it was very difficult and they wanted me to buy a program that was 50 more dollars. The whole clickable screen was garbage. So the next day after crying myself to sleep (literally) my wife and I went to the AT&T store to switch back to the iphone. Since I would never ask for my phone back that I sold my friend I had to Pony up 399 for a new 8g and no accessories. I thought the grass would be greener and IT WASNT. Thats my story. Hope I saved you before you jumped. If you are switching for the service reason I understand but DONT get the storm. I would rather have a moto q than the storm.

18. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

So those commercials aren't exaggerating when the dude seems to be SLOWLY tapping everything? I messed with one that wasn't actually on in a store and the screen does depress. I guess using that for just clicking on something is OK, but typing on it is probably a nightmare.

19. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

wow.

20. RJ17 macrumors regular

My Experience With the Storm

I currently have a 2G iPhone and a Storm. I have had the iPhone for about a year and have been trying the Storm for about a month. The Storm is a device with a high learning curve. The couple of times I tried it in the store i hated the click screen and couldn't type on it at all, but after about 2 weeks I was pretty competent. Not quite as good as I am on the iPhone but good enough that typing an email doesn't take an hour. The phone as a whole has a much higher learning curve than the iPhone. It took me about 2 weeks before I felt comfortable to use it. I love the fact the Storm can run multiple apps at once which is nice for apps such as AIM and slacker radio. Regarding service, I have never been somewhere where the Storm doesn't have service but my iPhone does. I live in Milwaukee and spend a lot of time in Indiana, so your experience may be different. Also the voice quality on the Storm is much better. In the end I am deciding to keep my iPhone. The biggest reason is that I was unable to get my music to sync to the storm on my Mac. I got the iPhone so I didn't need to carry two devices and trying to sync the Storm with my Mac was a pain. I was able to sync contacts but the music and picture sync didn't work at all. I would recommend trying the Storm out a see what you think. I think you can try it out for 30 days on VZW. I had very low expectations when i first tried it out but after about a month I was very impressed. I think if I had never had the iPhone I would have loved the Storm but since I have used the iPhone the Storm falls just a bit short. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I can try to answer them.

21. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

I work with a guy who just got the storm a couple weeks ago. He's not stupid or slow by any means and he's been having a hard time learning how to use it. I've played with it (and one at New Years) and just don't like it. To prove I'm not biased, another coworker of mine just got the Instinct earlier this week and I think it's A LOT better than the storm. I could even see switching to it if the service improvement was significant. The Storm, I wouldn't dream of it. The Bold is way better.

Just my two cents.

22. 08mxkfx thread starter macrumors regular

08mxkfx

I like the bold and the new curve but both of them you cant get on verizon network and i dont know how t-mobile works. Also what i just noticed about the storm is that it doesnt have wifi which is kind of a bummer. Also i like the Palm Pre but im still not sure when that will be out, also i hate sprint network!

23. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

There are a couple of benefits that using the Storm has over the iPhone. You'll get Instant Messaging running in the background and Push Email to every single email account (not just Yahoo, Mobile Me or Exchange). But you get these features on ALL current Blackberry's, not just the Storm.

The Storm is, at first, a far more difficult handset to use. In fact it is an incredibly difficult handset to use at first. You'll have constant mis-types, non reactive menu's because you never pressed the screen in exactly the correct place, and very slow transitions. It does take a lot of practice. But you do get to adapt to it and understand it in the end.

Some people stick with it and get used to it.

24. haddman macrumors regular

The bold is a superioir phone in almost everyway to the Storm....except the browser. The browser stinks! That is why you should wait because BB is supposed to release a BB Bold for Verizon, as well as the new 8930, BB Curve. Also, there is the BB "Magnum", Bold formfactor with a touchscreen, so it will likely have the storm's browser and touch screen with a keyboard. I have heard rumors that this one acutally looks more like the storm with a keyboard as well, so I would wait if I were you.

25. 08mxkfx thread starter macrumors regular

08mxkfx