Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

=MuLti-CeLL=

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
m0biLe
Just saw this little poll over at http://www.intomobile.com/

1311 Votes so far with 81% voting for the Pre!

Haha, and the thing isn't even out yet! How the hell do these people know they would want the Pre over the 3G? Apple haters?! Guess so!

I hope the Pre does really well though in all seriousness, Apple needs some good healthy competition. Guess we'll see what all the hype is about when the Pre is released...when is that again? :D

=MuLti-CeLL=

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
m0biLe
It has some good features and nice GUI.
I still like my iphone better but you cant really tell by videos, I'd like to try it in person.
Hope the competition will make the iphone better.

Yea, no kidding, most of the videos are just quick little demos and I've heard of several reviewers that have seen the phone in person that they don't even let you HOLD it but you can just play with it a little while they hold it. LoL, what are they afraid it's going to fall apart or someones gonna take off in a sprint with it? :p

kdarling

macrumors P6
I don't think it has anything to do with "Apple haters". Most people don't put that much effort into such feelings.

Probably more like a lot are disappointed in Apple:

The iPhone has so much potential, but someone officially crippled it in many small ways... evoking the old saying about "death by a thousand cuts".

iSaygoodbye

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
a boat
I don't think it has anything to do with "Apple haters". Most people don't put that much effort into such feelings.

The iPhone has so much potential, but someone officially crippled it in many small ways... evoking the old saying about "death by a thousand cuts".

its lived up to 90% of the potential. LETS QUIT TALKING ABOUT WHAT IT DOESNT HAVE AND WHAT IT DOES HAVE

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
Yea, no kidding, most of the videos are just quick little demos...

There's a 20 minute video demo on engadget. No cuts, nothing. 20 straight minutes of playing around with it.

its lived up to 90% of the potential. LETS QUIT TALKING ABOUT WHAT IT DOESNT HAVE AND WHAT IT DOES HAVE

Because it doesn't have some features that it needs to. Hell, my Honda Civic has a bunch of stuff; it has an engine, windows, doors, but it has no tires. See? Sometimes missing things CAN make a big difference even if other features are present...

linsam

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2007
Irvine, CA
Thanks for the link. As a long time Palm user, I am really looking forward to seeing the Pre. From all I have seen and read, it looks great. I am just not excited about switching carriers and hope Palm offers an unlocked version of the phone as well.

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
Wow what a FU[KING biased poll, it honestly made me irritated

So the choices are

"Phone that has yet to be released FTW ZOMG ITS AMAZING "

or

"iPhone, yes its awesome but we hate it"

I'll admit the pre looks amazing, but I'll wait until its.. you know actually released

Artofilm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
I dunno, I don't see a point in that poll.
If someone were to make a poll on this site asking what phone ppl would rather have, the winner would come out as the iPhone.

Polls are only about what the people like in a certain area. Just like asking people at a Ford dealership if they like the Mustang or would rather have a Challenger...

Shackler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2007
behind you!
Yea, no kidding, most of the videos are just quick little demos and I've heard of several reviewers that have seen the phone in person that they don't even let you HOLD it but you can just play with it a little while they hold it. LoL, what are they afraid it's going to fall apart or someones gonna take off in a sprint with it? :p

They gave out Pre's to a lot of people recently so i doubt thats the case.
the people blindly voting for the Pre even though it isnt out yet is like you blindly making comments like this.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
You're right.

Check out this Engadget Link with everything you want to know about the Pre. Pretty cool page.

http://www.engadget.com/hub/palm-pre

Yep, looks pretty polished and robust on the video. Pre trounces the iPhone pretty badly there. Apple was caught off guard by Palm. Seems like Apple was being a bit cocky in assuming no one can copy their UI well enought to compete againts them. Well Palm Pre did and gives you all the features lacking on the iPhone.

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
I'll admit the pre looks amazing, but I'll wait until its.. you know actually released

Every time the Pre comes up, I hear this argument, and it needs to stop. I seem to recall a demonstration of a certain device at Macworld 2007. Guess what? When it came out, it worked just like it did in the videos - imagine that. And guess what? When the Pre comes out (and it WILL come out) it will work just like you've seen in the videos. Get over it.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

kdarling said:

No. It's just a skewed sample, obviously.

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
Every time the Pre comes up, I hear this argument, and it needs to stop. I seem to recall a demonstration of a certain device at Macworld 2007. Guess what? When it came out, it worked just like it did in the videos - imagine that. And guess what? When the Pre comes out (and it WILL come out) it will work just like you've seen in the videos. Get over it.

ohhh shut it

Q) is the phone available to buy
A) No its not

I don't care what the videos show, or how amazing people say it is. I didn't buy an iPhone because I saw videos or engadget review it.
It's not until people use an iPhone THEMSELVES that they fall in love with the OS. Having a touchscreen with a "clickable" screen sounds like an amazing idea, but if you actually used the Blackberry bold you will see that it actually makes data entry slower.

The same can be said about ANY touchscreen device, you can't properly judge it or say its better than X, or slower than Y, or more accurate than Z until you use it first hand.

kate-willbury

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2009
i have an iphone and i'm disappointed in this piece of garbage. it has its moments but i definitely can't wait for the pre!

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

slapppy said:
You're right.

Check out this Engadget Link with everything you want to know about the Pre. Pretty cool page.

http://www.engadget.com/hub/palm-pre

Yep, looks pretty polished and robust on the video. Pre trounces the iPhone pretty badly there. Apple was caught off guard by Palm. Seems like Apple was being a bit cocky in assuming no one can copy their UI well enought to compete againts them. Well Palm Pre did and gives you all the features lacking on the iPhone.

Interesting that you use the word "copy." It may take years, but it may also well turn out that palm is infringing on a whole lot of multi-touch patents.

Here's the other thing about all this pre-hype (get it? Sorry). The pre is not actually released, but this comparison is to a product that's been out for 8 months. By the time the pre is actually on the market the next iPhone will be a month or two away. Let's see what that comparison looks like, shall we?

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008

Here's the other thing about all this pre-hype (get it? Sorry). The pre is not actually released, but this comparison is to a product that's been out for 8 months. By the time the pre is actually on the market the next iPhone will be a month or two away. Let's see what that comparison looks like, shall we?

Good point. I dont think it would take Apple all of a few months add any Pre function the iphone does not already have and then add some more goodness. We will have to see what the new iphone brings plus 3.0

I personally think the Pre is all hype or at least ...added extra hype. Palm is hurting and needs to pull this off in a big way. Even if the Pre can surpass iphone functions (which I think is not by that much) I dont believe Palm can come anywhere near to anything like the app. store.

Shackler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2007
behind you!
ohhh shut it

Q) is the phone available to buy
A) No its not

I don't care what the videos show, or how amazing people say it is. I didn't buy an iPhone because I saw videos or engadget review it.
It's not until people use an iPhone THEMSELVES that they fall in love with the OS. Having a touchscreen with a "clickable" screen sounds like an amazing idea, but if you actually used the Blackberry bold you will see that it actually makes data entry slower.

The same can be said about ANY touchscreen device, you can't properly judge it or say its better than X, or slower than Y, or more accurate than Z until you use it first hand.

Good thing you arent head of marketing at Apple because you would just go around handing out iPhones to everyone in the world so they fall in love with it. Reality is people do base decisions off videos. Called reviews, even commercials.

People making huge Palm Pre hype before it was released is exactly what was going on when the iPhone was announced just to a WAY lesser extent.

It sad that certain iPhone owners refuse to believe that any other phone even deserve to be produced and the iPhone is perfect and flawless.

And i think you meant Blackberry Storm which was a huge pile of mess when it came out but is much improved now.

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
I don't care what the videos show, or how amazing people say it is. I didn't buy an iPhone because I saw videos or engadget review it. It's not until people use an iPhone THEMSELVES that they fall in love with the OS.

This really only applies to interaction, not basic functionality. For example, you may need to actually hold and use a Pre to compare how fluid the scrolling, surfing, and application switching is to the iPhone, but even then you can get a good idea of it from video. You don't need to actually use it to understand what functions and features it has compared to the functions and features of the iPhone.

For example, comparing the multitasking application function of the Pre (swiping through applications as one might swipe through web pages in safari on the iPhone) to the virtually non-existent multitasking of the iPhone, I know that the Pre's method is FAR more tempting to me than the iPhone and will make me seriously consider which phone I will be upgrading to this year. The Pre is like a desktop computer where all your open programs are along the taskbar where you can see everything you have open and easily switch from one to another. The iPhone is like the same desktop where instead every time you want to switch applications you have to close your current application to get back to the desktop and double-click the icon for the application you want to use.

kdarling

macrumors P6
No. It's just a skewed sample, obviously.

I'm sure it is. But that wasn't my point...

I was responding to the idea that so many people chose the Pre because of "Apple hate". (Although I admit, it's true that Apple is doing a great job of replacing Microsoft as the "evil" one these days.)

I just think many people are ready to move on to something else, because Apple has proven itself unable or unwilling to add the little and big features that people are getting in other phones.

And also they've locked themselves to certain carriers via a one-way contract. It wouldn't be surprising if ATT picked up on the Pre later on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.