iphone 3G. VS T-mobile G1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chef On The Go, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Chef On The Go macrumors newbie

I have a G1 in San Francisco they had a pre sell today and their was over 600 people who came and brought G1

I'm said to say 30% of people had iPhones who brought the new phone, yes including me.. I'm sorry but I hate At&T and they will be the death of the iphone if apple didn't change ASAP

Here my review

1. The 3G network blow away the iphone 3G

I used very hard website like y tube, new York times and all loaded faster on the G1 even songs down loaded faster off the amazon music store

2. T-mobile was faster and had their head togther for this event, the lined moved very fast.. Not like when Apple and At&t with the iPhone .. I blame At&t not apple

3. G1 sounds better and you can hear other people and people can heat you.. The network Is stronger then At@t

4. The web sucks on the G1 compare to the iPhone 3G... It's not even close .. So their work need to be done

5. Yes the iPhone is more sexxy then the G1 but it's has a nice look and feels good in your hand.. More like a cell then iphone

6. The key pad vs the iphone ... I would have to say after using iPhone since it first came out.. I love the iPhone more but the G1 is cool but the keys are so small and hard for me to use after using the iPhone ...So iphone is better

7. The screen is 10 times better on the iPhone

8. I think the speed is faster on the G1 meaning moving around and using different apps .. But the iPhone apps are better

9. Price for G1 was $175 came with 1GB stick iPhone Is $199 comes with 8GB

10. The g1 is not going to be a iPhone killer they are two different from each other

2. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

Your review seems kind of biased... clearly you hate AT&T and this is affecting your opinion

I've tried my friends G1.. Simply put it feels like its still in beta :p ( software and hardware)

3. Chef On The Go thread starter macrumors newbie

I love the iPhone I hate the fact it's with AT&T.. The iPhone is a better phone but the G1 is not to fare behind.. But you can't really compare the two...

I'm planing on keeping my iPhone this because it has the things I love

iPod
    Internet
    Games

Maybe I need a iPod touch now with G1 the best of both worlds

I'm using G1

Voice calls
    Text with pics
    Google maps with GPS is better
    "has street view"

4. aridon macrumors member

The G1 is a newly released open source OS. Naturally its going to be bare bones and frankly crappy. I'd wager that in a year there will be a compelling reason to look at a better hardware / more evolved Android phone but now is not the time.

The Iphone fills my needs for now but I know Apple and they'll force feed their consumers whatever they feel we want and need. Eventually that will come to bite them in the ass. They have already made their money and I doubt they even care.

5. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I considered getting the T-Mobile Android instead, but T-Mobile's coverage is horrible here and that along with the nicer interface on the iPhone was the deciding factor.

No probs with AT&T yet, knock on wood.

6. DavidMc macrumors member

The OS looks nice but the form factor of the G1 doesn't do it for me...I can't get passed the look of that keyboard. I have used the Tmobile Wing and HTC 6700 and 6800 on Sprint and the keyboard just drove me nuts. The landscape keyboard on the iphone gets to me too. the big problem with the G1 around here is no Tmobile 3G. We are not a huge market compared to Richmond or Washington D.C. / N. Virginia...but we are a large area. You have been able to get Sprint 3G, Verizon 3G, and AT&T 3G for years now, but for some reason Tmobile is holding off rolling it here till end of 1st quarter/early 2nd quarter of next year. I would never give up the iPhone3G for the G1 but we still have a few corporate lines with Tmobile (we switched to Sprint last year) so it would of been nice to check it out. I think it will do good, especially with some new handsets with better form factors then the G1.

7. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Wow, this just screams troll.

Have fun with your poor grammar. Give me a review when I can actually understand what you're saying.

8. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Ignore the G1....
    But don't ignore Android. From what Ive seen the OS is pretty cool out of the box, and when better devices get it, it could a very enticing proposition.
    Noah from PhoneDog.com tells it how it is, in these informative video reviews.

Bear in mind that although Noah loves his iPhone, and has used it as his personal phone since July 2007, despite the myriad of devices he gets to test, he calls Android a "Game Changer."
    Watch the vids, he tests everything fully.

9. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Why do people bother posting the XXX network is much better then the YYY network.

Don't people realize that their network / provider will vary depending on where they are calling from. Use whatever phone / provider you like best but please stop posting that one network / provider is better then another because it works best for you.

10. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

i agree completely.
    it seems like the G1 is a rushed, last minute research paper someone pulled an all nighter on.

Android could be a GREAT platform, but the G1 is nothing to get excited about.

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

It'd better be! T-Mobile has hardly any 3G phones, so nobody's really using their 3G service yet! The G1 appears to be their first 3G smartphone, so before now, nobody's really been using data.

IMO, what remains to be seen is how well T-Mobile's 3G network performance stands up over time as more and more of their subscribers migrate over to it.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I thought the poster was a troll until I read through the whole review. The English is honestly terrible -- I don't understand how you can think that the OP's writing is anywhere close to proper English. I did, however, understand what he/she said, and some pretty good points were made.

Here are some things I'm curious about...

- Network traffic on the T-Mobile 3G network is very low, considering how little of it has been rolled out, how few 3G devices they sell, and how few of their users use 3G. This is a slightly different scenario than AT&T's already-deployed 3G network getting a huge uptick in activity because of the iPhone, both in terms of the huge number of iPhone 3Gs sold and in terms of the kind of bandwidth iPhone users use compared to other 3G devices. I'll be curious to see what T-Mobile's 3G network bandwidth looks like when it has been deployed for a year and there are more devices on it.

- I'm surprised you found the web experience so dissatisfying -- this is an area I'd figure Google would know pretty well. What was so bad about it?

- Also, what is so much better about the screen -- the resolution is comparable, right? The iPhone has pretty good brightness, but people are generally dissatisfied with the color spectrum and achievement of true black... are those the areas where the G1 is better?

I'd seriously consider re-upping my T-Mo contract to get an Android device (maybe not the G1) if the pricing is reasonable... to just play with it a bit and then maybe sell it. But I'd have to get a break on Android pricing and an improvement in my monthly contract charges or service.

It sounds like you switched to T-Mo from AT&T, though?

Anyway, thanks for posting your thoughts on the device.

13. robhedin macrumors regular

I picked one up this morning, and gave it to a girl who works for me (she's a T-Mobile subscriber). I played with it a bit, and she's been using it all day.

The device isn't bad, but it doesn't feel as "polished" as even the original iPhone was. So far I've heard repeatedly "how do I get out of this?", or "what do I do now?" while she's using it; and some of these are from pretty standard things like texting. The phone and applications work, they're just not as polished or as intuitive.

Strangely enough, one consistent item she keeps complaining about is the lack of an onscreen keyboard. While she likes the full QWERTY keyboard, according to her, there are times she just wants to jot something down while she's on a call or something and says that she used to use her onscreen keyboard on her previous phone for that (she used to use a Windows Mobile device with flip out keyboard as well).

I'm sure things will improve over time as the device and software are refined. Just as the original iPhone was a learning experience for Apple, so too is the G1 a learning experience for Google. Competition is good.

rob.

14. Chef On The Go thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry English is not native to me... I this learned it I'm from north Spain

For the record I cleary said that you can't compare the two phones they are so different..

I love my iPhone 3G this is the best phone ever made but it need to have more phone features

Pic text

Video camera

Better sound when talking "this is AT&T"

Yes I have a problem with At&t they are rude

The G1 is better then most smart phones... It grows on you I was up all last night playing with google maps.. Very cool feature called street view is very cool..

The 3G looks fast and strong but like you said over time we will see .. I wish apple could leave At&t ... They are killing the iPhone

15. DigMe macrumors 6502

In that case, great job! Anyone of even average intelligence can easily understand your original post. I've taken a lot of spanish classes in both high school and college and I don't think I could go into a spanish-language message board and communicate all the things that you said. In fact I'm sure it would be pretty pathetic. :eek: I could get around in Spain but I definitely could not write a detailed comparative review of two technological products!

Hate to spout cliches but...how do you say "FAIL" in Spanish? :p

16. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

My dad has the G1, and he let me have a go for about an hour. Simply put, it had me becoming very frustrated, very quickly. Firstly, the touch screen is horrific. You really have to press to get it to function. Secondly, the layout of the keyboard is confusing.

Now to the physical features. The actual phone feels like a square rectangle in your hand, not a phone. When you have the keyboard out, the bottom edge of the phone is completely in your way. The bottom of the phone has a curve to it, and I don't understand that at all.

Now to the speeds. I tested on 3G and WiFi. On 3G the G1 started loading faster, but took a while for it to function. The iPhone can function while loading, and the G1 can't. Also, WiFi speeds are horrendous. Just for kicks, I could almost load two pages on the iPhone compared to the G1's WiFi.

Simply put, this phone is nowhere near the iPhone. If you are on T-Mobile, then it will be a good phone, but when developers start to release applications and mods, I can see this phone as being very good.

17. 10dulkar macrumors member

why do you feel the need to apologize? your post was legible, informative and to the point...

dont take the so-called senior members here too seriously...many have become senior by posting crap...

cheers!

18. hazmatzak macrumors regular

There are a lot of little things that iPhone (and iPod Touch) do right, so that the page is readable.

When it first loads the page, the browser acts like it is about 1000 pixels across, and scales the graphics accordingly, so that you can see the whole page as if you were on a desktop computer. It then figures out (somehow) which text flows it can scale up without distorting the page, and increases those text sizes so that the text is (sometimes just barely) readable.

So now you can see the whole width of the page, and then double-tap an element or column to scale that up. Flick around, pinch to zoom, double-tap out, it works well.

When the G1 loads a page, it shows the top left corner, pixel-for-pixel without scaling. To see the whole width, you have to zoom out.

You can change the text size manually, in the settings, which takes several clicks. There are five sizes. All text is blindly resized, often messing up the layout, things overlapping, etc.

No double-tap and no pinch. You can open up the Zoom controls from the Menu (one level deep, under More) but you can just start panning with your finger and they will appear. There are separate plus and minus controls, which aren't as usable as pinching, or automatic like double-tapping. There's also a zoom out that brings up a loupe that you can drag around, and when you let go, it zooms in on that part. But it zooms back to the previous zoom level, so you often still have to manually zoom to the right level.

The zoom out is useful for quick vertical scrolling. I don't see a way to get back to the top of the page, as there is on the iPhone. I don't see a way to zoom back to "normal" size; you can zoom way in or way out, uselessly large or small, and no quick way to revert.

To switch to landscape, you have to use the menu (also under More) or open the keyboard. Conversely, there is no keyboard in portrait.

The G1 browser would probably impress those used to lousy cell phone browsers, but not those that have used an iPhone.

19. wizzerandchips macrumors 6502

I knew he was from another country by his grammer, when you Americans start replacing the Z with S ie specialize then you can criticise (critisize :eek:) the English of others. How many Americans speak another language ? unlike many Europeans who speak at least 2. Jezuz !, opps I meant Jesus :apple:

20. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

maybe you just have bad att coverage where you live.

21. DigMe macrumors 6502

I also suspected that english was not his first language. I hope you were not directing the rest of that post at me since I was not criticizing him. You quoted my post though. I speak enough spanish and chinese to get around in Spain or in China. :)

22. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

where i live tmobile blows, so does verizon and sprint, so AT&T was the clear choice for me, the iphone is a bonus as far as im concerned

23. Eric Isaacson macrumors 6502

Thanks to everyone for your reviews. I have learned a lot from your thoughts.

This is a great statement. I have tried several other cell phone browsers and they always are lacking compared to the Iphone and Ipod Touch.

24. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Nice summary... yeah, it sounds like they really didn't think the human interface on the browser through. The iPhone's browser is still at times painful to use, but it's far less painful than other browsers. The iPhone's browser pain level is low enough that I actually use it on a regular basis. The browser on my BB was so bad I gave up and hardly ever used it.

25. chewietobbacca macrumors 6502

Definitely don't write off Android - it's open source and recently I went on a visit to my old engineering school, and there are TONS of projects right now being worked on for this by various groups. In a year, Android may be the thing to have