iPhone 3G without DATA- Got it

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SleepyHead157, Jul 12, 2008.

1. SleepyHead157 macrumors regular

yesterday I activated my iPhone 3g, but I didn't want data on my iPhone because i don't need it. I go to school in an area with no 3G coverage and wi fi all over campus and my apartment and back home I have wi fi at home and practically every starbucks and mcdonalds for free. i called the ATT rep right after i activated the 3g iphone and asked for it to be removed, and explained to her why i didn't need it, she got rid of it in a heartbeat. some people asked me why i dont keep my iphone 1st gen, I would except it has dents on it and has been used for a year and i Just sold it unlocked on ebay, the 8GB version,and made 450 for it. So to think about it, i got a brand new phone for 325 after taxes (16GB), I was going to keep ATT anyways since I have a family plan with a school discount. So i made some money in the process all the while getting a new iphone in a color i wanted (white) with more memory for less. Just thought some people should know that the data is removable in case they thought about getting rid of it as well. I didn't have data on my 1st gen iphone either

2. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

yeah some people are lucky like you that have wifi everywhere they go there is no need for 3g data.. thats a huge saver.. ur lucky...

3. jbt2008 macrumors newbie

Wow! This is great news! Will dropping the data affect your contract? Also, I want a 1st gen iphone without the data. How does voicemail work without visual voicemail on a dataless iphone?

4. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

So if you try to go onto the web without WiFi will it charge you per MB? I don't know, i want 3G at the same time i don't want to be spending $30 more a month. GPS still works right? Do you think all AT&T people will do this or do you think you were luckly, cause they didn't post anything about no data plans ( thats probably because they wanted the most money they could get without telling people there are cheaper plans) My area surprisingly has 3G coverage and i don't live in a huge city or anything, closest is Springfield, MA and Boston, MA which is not that close from where i live. Anyways if i don't get good signal strength for 3G i don't think its worth having the data because im paying $10 more than for the previous phone. THanks for the info

5. nintendude macrumors 6502

you sure this is possible, i just spoke to an Apple rep and they said that all iphones require a 2 year plan including data and voice

6. ec51 macrumors 6502

MAKE SURE YOU ADD THE "WIX BLOCK" which blocks all pay-per-use data.

Otherwise, you might THINK you "removed" the data...but in reality you are just paying per KB.

7. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

i wouldnt buy an iphone w/o the data plan.

good thing we have good 3g coverage where i live.

8. ec51 macrumors 6502

The real question is...does the WiFi still work?

9. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

He said he gets a discount through his school. Usually if you get phones through a school or other business they have a rep that is in charge of their plans and is being paid to just manage that business' accounts. I have my phone through a business and have learned first hand that they go above and beyond what most regular reps will do to make you a happy customer.

10. SleepyHead157 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah i did get WIX BLOCK, whenever i open a safari page without wi fi it says can't connect to server because i'm not connected to internet, so I know I don't have data, thanks and the ATT rep in the store did tell me I needed a data plan with a new contract but I had called ATT before and I was told I can remove data so I'm good, the ATT reps on the phone did what they told me they would. most of the store reps don't have any clue on things regarding the iPhone.

11. SleepyHead157 thread starter macrumors regular

I never really thought about it until you brought it up but ever since I've been using my school FAN for ATT, ive never had to wait to talk to customer service, it connects right away to the business line. And they are more than willing to help than when I had cingular before through regular line.

12. ec51 macrumors 6502

I did this as well with my Blackberry 8320 (WiFi)...and I am thinking about doing it now with my new 16gb White iPhone.

Sooo...

DOES everything work? Maps, Safari, Apps,...etc etc.....?

13. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

how do you do this?

14. nyzballa12 macrumors member

If you can do that, then it would mean that you could possible unlock the iPhone and use on t-mobile's service without data?

15. ec51 macrumors 6502

You must call At&t for this...

16. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Yes thats one of several perks with a business/group account

17. Chronimac macrumors member

The real question is can you remove your minutes, and keep the data plan?
    Cause all i really want is internet everywhere, and all of those cool apps.

To me the phone is the least important feature of the iphone. I already have a phone, what i don't have is email, applications, game, GPS, and the internet in my pocket. thats all want from an iphone.

18. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

I don't think thats going to be possible... because you have to have a voice account before you can add data. Maybe in the future they will add a data only plan but i don't see it anytime soon.

19. GutBomb macrumors regular

Tell at&t you are deaf.

20. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

HAHAHA YES!! while you're on the phone with them!
    -"Sorry sir, but you are required to have a voice plan due to Apple requirements"

-"What's that? I can't hear you, maybe we should move this conversation to TTY"
    LOL

21. ec51 macrumors 6502

Does everything still work?

Safari...maps....apps?

22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This is good news for the people who want the phone but can't afford the data plan. However, if you're ever in a bind and not at home or school then bummer for you.

On a side note, paragraphs and periods are pretty cool. ;)

23. GutBomb macrumors regular

or do it via email or say you are calling for your deaf friend. it's not that hard, and it's already confirmed they offer the data plan without voice for the deaf. just don't know if they require a doctors note or anything. I doubt it.

edit: nevermind, you need a doctor to sign off on these forms: http://www.wireless.att.com/about/disability-resources/text-accessibility-plan-for-iphone.jsp

24. ASN21 macrumors member

I want to see some proof. I called over 10 reps and all said that you can't remove the data plan no matter what. I call B.S. on the OP.

25. ec51 macrumors 6502

It's kind of BS that they CAN require you to have the data. Like, when you got the iPhone you signed a "SERVICE" contract which just extended your time with At&t 2 years. You can change phones and do wutever u want as long as the service lasts two years.

I didnt sign anything saying I agree to keep a data plan on my service.