iPhone 3G works with $20 Data Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by guru_ck, Jul 11, 2008.

1. guru_ck macrumors 6502

Just wanted to let everyone know that I put my old iPhone SIM card into the new 3G phone and the data services are working fine. My online account is still showing $20 for data :).

2. mjones77 macrumors newbie

are you getting access to the 3G network tho?

3. showtime macrumors 6502

Didn't you have to sign a new contract before getting the new iphone or are you using a friends?

4. guru_ck thread starter macrumors 6502

I bought an iPhone for the company I work for on another account so I was trying it with that.

Yes, 3G network access is working.

5. KDDatabase macrumors member

You know that is a good idea.

Take your old iPhone, activate it on through iTunes with the $20 plan. Then swap sims.....it might just work. Someone try it and let us know.

6. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Things may have changed, but when I called AT&T to use a 3G phone after I sold my original iPhone, AT&T said, oh I see why your phone isn't working, your account is still a 2G account.

You may be able to use it, but may not get 3G speeds. I could be wrong, but it looks like AT&T actually lists things as 2G vs. 3G devices and may restrict as appropriate.

7. Iflow macrumors newbie

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Having which plan on your accounts doesn't affect whether or not if you can access 3G or not; if you phone support 3G it will work; if it doesn't it won't.

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Sorry to burst any bubbles, but AT&T will eventually catch up to you and will bill you accordingly. My son did the same thing and AT&T sent him a text message and renewed his contract. You'll get a text message and maybe an email, then you'll have your contract renewed for 2-years, plus the $30 data plan will cancel out your previous $20 data plan...:eek:

10. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

Yeah, that's not gonna be fun when they send you a new bill. Not suggested at all. Just pay the 30.. There is really no way around it.

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

They will never know. I mean, if your account shows you have an iPhone, they know there will be heavy data traffic.

They will not check, unless you are dumb enough to go wave hi at AT&T. A different type of phone will be different of coarse, but in the case of the iPhone its highly unlikely.

BTW - Your account can access any data in the cell towers if you have a plan 2G or 3G. Doesn't matter. Data means data, regardless of technology. Now, if your device is capable of using said technology is a different story,

12. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I wonder what happened to the OP? Did he get charged, is he still on that plan? etc..

The thread was bumped to the top with a useless post.

Also... as long as you don't tell them your new iPhone IMEI, their system will still show the iPhone Gen. 1 so you should be fine.

13. siliconhybrid macrumors newbie

I can confirm the OP.

Here is my story:
    - I had Cingular Palm Treo 650, with $20 data plan
    - I bought used 3G from craigslist, then unlock with yellowsn0w
    - I put my Cingular SIM (orange) to the 3G iphone.. just got the EDGE, when I turned on the 3G toggle, the signal completely disappear.
    - I borrowed my friends SIM with $20 dataplan (the blue ATT SIM), works in my 3G iphone...I got 3G signal.
    - I asked ATT to replace my Cingular SIM to ATT SIM today, it works...!! I got a 3G signal, and verified with www.iphonespeedtest.com I am getting 412kbps

WHOO HOOOOO....

14. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

Not true at all, use the search button. Theres plenty of posters that put in there 2G sim cards into there 3g phones and then later got a text message saying that they are not allowed to have that sim card in this phone and if continued will be billed the 30 dollar data plan.

15. seand1111 macrumors regular

Have you ever gone online to your ATT wireless account and looked at what phone ATT says you have after you made a device change? If you change your phone, the system picks it up almost immediately and notifies you pretty quick if you have the wrong plan.

When I had my BB and made a temporary switch to a Moto Q9, I got a text the next day telling me I was using a PDA phone and required the PDA plan....to contact Customer service.

When I activated my iPhone (through itunes), my ATT account showed I had an iPhone right away, and it knows the difference between the 1st Gen and 3G iPhone.....(I have, until I get home tonight and get my new 3G phone, a 1st Gen iPhone and my wife has a 3G iPhone. It clearly shows on my account that we have different phones.

Point is, the system knows and sends the notice to you. Does not mean that ATT changes it right away (if they ever do) but I would bet it flags your account and someone somewhere gets a notice if you do not change it within a certain time frame.

And this was not necessarily directed to you personally, but to those that say that they (ATT) will not notice and that its just a data plan…..

16. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Yes, I can confirm that AT&T knows if you are using a 3G iPhone on a non 3G data plan. Thwy will even send you a warning SMS telling you to change plans or they may do it for you.

I once used my BlackBerrys sim in my iPhone a few months ago and got that warning SMS. I only used the sim in the phone for one day and they knew.

They can tell by the IMEI number.

17. Shawn D macrumors regular

Just like everyone else has said. they will know by the IMEI number, don't mess with the trouble and just pay the 30. or stick with the 2G

18. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

That used to be the case, but since a couple of months ago they've started doing sweeps for TAC/plan mismatches. You will get caught -- it's just a question of when.

19. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Really now? I've had a razr, and then got the iphone first gen from my cousin, activated with iTunes. AT&T site said I had a data plan, but it didn't change the "What phone do I have" until like next billing period.

20. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I think you guys should just ****ing pay the $30.

If you are trying to save $10 a month like this, you shouldn't have an iPhone. It's like getting a nice car that requires high octane gas and you always put 87 in it.

I just referenced the iPhone to a car yes, because this phone costs over $2000 for 2 years.

21. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Oh and btw, our iPhone bill is $4000 for 2 years.

22. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

I have had an iPhone 2g for over a year now without a dataplan and they have never said anything about it.

23. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

iPhone 1st Gen are allowed not to have a data plan. iPhone 3G on the other hand is an mandatory thing.

To other posters:

Yes, I check my AT&T online account. Of coarse they will know you changed phones if you do a radical update like a RAZR to an iPhone. The IMEI is there for that. iPhone to iPhone, not much of a change.

Now, you might think differently, but I used my AT&T SIM (which has my 1st Gen's Data in it) on a friend's 3G for 3 months (he was out of country), and never and I mean never got a SMS saying change plans or kaboom even though I used heavily data during those months (I usually did 200-150MB on my 1st Gen, did 500-390MB on 3G).

24. toss002 macrumors regular

What if you do it the other way around?

What if you do it the other way around?

By that I mean, what if you break your iPhone 3G and you switch the sim into the 1st Gen iPhone as a backup?

What will happen? They also know? Text you to LOWER you plan?:confused:

25. seand1111 macrumors regular

Yes, really........ Just to check it out I just pulled the sim from my wifes phone and put it into my 3rd line ( a bb curve ) and waited an hour then went online. It showed the third line was an iPhone. So yes, really.

Now maybe they do different things in different markets, my market is a huge ATT market.