iPhone 3GS Applecare usage on vacation?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VPrime, Aug 1, 2011.

1. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Hey guys, I have a 3GS that still has applecare left and it is starting to act up. The phone is locked to a Canadian carrier (Fido), and I am currently in Germany on vacation.
    If I take it to an apple store will they replace it for me? If they do, I won't be getting a phone locked to a carrier here will it?:confused:

2. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

They should give you one locked to Fido. They can lock and unlock right in the store so they'll just take an unlocked refurb and lock it to your specific carrier unless iTunes simply does it for you. I've heard conflicting stories.

3. VPrime thread starter macrumors 68000

VPrime

Ah ok sounds good thanks.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I heard that when the replacement is issued, the status of your iPhone (including the carrier) gets transferred to the new one.

I suppose you could ask nicely :)

5. VPrime thread starter macrumors 68000

VPrime

I don't speak any German... Though many people here do speak English I figured it would be easier to get my answer online rather than trying to stumble through a conversation ;)

6. VPrime thread starter macrumors 68000

VPrime

Went in, they swapped it out no problems. They even gave us an unlocked phone because we had an o2 simcard with us. :D

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

That's fantastic. How did the language barrier go? Well, I'm guessing they spoke English (as most Germans do).

8. VPrime thread starter macrumors 68000

VPrime

Spoke fluent english.

9. mellofello macrumors 65816

I had a bad experience getting my MBP serviced in Paris. The guy (apple certified not at actual store) pretended at first to not speak good english, and tried to steer me into a hardware repair for a software issue. When my GF got there and spoke in french he shrugged and started speaking fluent english. Glad it worked out for you.