iPhone 3GS battery and Taking it to Applestore Question?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by flatlined, Feb 21, 2011.

1. flatlined macrumors member

I have 3G off and Wi-Fi off Using Mail, Tweetdeck and checking on a few webpages in 8 hours i'm at roughly 85% to 75%. When I use Wi-Fi it usaillay drops around 5% in about 15mins. I almost never get below 55% or some days I don't get near that and throw it on the charger at night to charge it to 100% use it and then turn it off and throw it back on charge to get it to 100% and leave for the day. Does this sound like a bad battery? I have a friend that just got the 8GB 3GS and I have the 16GB 3GS and they use 3G all the time and do roughly what I do and see to have better battery life. Also I played with a 3GS at the apple store with Wi-Fi on and Brighter screen and compared to mine it had better battery life.

Also I have another few months, till November, of Applecare. If walk in or make an appointment with the genius bar at the Applestore do they have something that actually test the battery and what is the likelihood of getting it replaced?

Thanks

2. iBryton macrumors regular

I didn't read your entire post but Apple seemed to have issues with the battery.

If you have AppleCare, they will give you a NEW iPhone.
    If you don't have AppleCare, they will charge you $79.99 for a NEW iPhone.
    Or if you don't mention the battery, they will charge you $199.99 for a NEW iPhone.

3. nukem170 macrumors member

Depending on how much you use your phone you will notice that after about a year or so your batter performance is decreased. My 3GS battery completely DIED on me after about 14 months of use. I would say that I was an extreme user. I was on it all the time and had to charge it every night since day one and by the end of the day my battery was around 15-20%. Some days I had to charge again in the middle of the day to be able to continue on until the night time. So finally my battery gave up completely and my phone started turning off saying low battery right after unplugging even when it said it's at 90%. So I think you are getting there slowly. But in my case I was out of warranty and Apple asked me $100 to change the battery. I did the smart thing and bought a battery off ebay for $15 and changed it myself. But if you still have apple care GO THERE NOW ASAP b4 it runs out and get it changed. So you dont have to worry about it for another year or so.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

No, your battery sounds fine.
    Remember, your battery is older than your friends iPhone, so it won't be functioning as your friends.

5. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

Apple have a program which will do tests on the iPhone and see if there is a problem with the battery. I would go just to be sure.

6. flatlined thread starter macrumors member

Thanks I also took a screen shot yesterday after about 9 hours off charger on EDGE of off an on email checking and replying (Manually) , a couple of text, Tweetdeck and a little Safari browsing. Does this seem Normal to anyone...

Also does the Applestore check battery's on a Walk-in? Does anyone know how long it takes? And does it count against any thing? Like I was going to gets worst I can get it looked at again before my Applecare runs out?

Attached Files:

7. flatlined thread starter macrumors member

8. boch82 macrumors 6502

seems pretty normal to me...

I've had the 3gs since launch day and get about 3 - 4 hours of usage still. I have the mophie juice pack which i use on days where i am on the phone a lot or using a lot of data.

9. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

I've squeezed 8-9 hours from my 3GS without 3G on

But I'd say typically 5-7 hours