iphone 3gs battery life with ios4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by UnLiMiTeD558, Jun 22, 2010.

1. UnLiMiTeD558 macrumors 6502

after upgrading to ios4, my battery life has dropped significantly, anybody else with the 3gs been experiencing this and has anyone found a solution to it?

2. ingricky macrumors newbie

Same thing here with my iPhone 3GS. This morning I even tried a complete restore and started with a fresh iPhone but the battery life is still very poor.

It was 75% at lunch time, it is now at 70% after browsing the web for less than 5 minutes over wifi.

I have tried to kill all apps running in the background but that doesn't seem to make much difference. Not good, lots of people twittering about this problem.

Kill apps... I used to do that with WinMo phones :p

3. kramerica2 macrumors regular

Killing apps like with those WM devices won't affect battery life, since they're not actually running in the background. Unless of-course you're talking about navigation, voip or audio apps... Apple really did well there with the faux-multitasking on some cases and true multi tasking when needed.

4. oHai macrumors member

If anything, my battery life seems to have gotten slightly better (like maybe 3-5%). I completely expected the opposite. I thought maybe it was a calibration issue, but I recalibrated yesterday and today it's higher than normal under regular use.

5. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

Yup mine seems like it has decreased a lot...

6. UnLiMiTeD558 thread starter macrumors 6502

i wish they would have released this new ios a week earlier so the people with these issues could get some damn anwsers instead of people making the same thread over and over that they got their new phone.

Well thats great, but what about the people that havent upgraded that would still like help with their current iphone?

7. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Yeah mine as well. Mine seems to be eating through 10% of the battery every six hours without use.

8. UnLiMiTeD558 thread starter macrumors 6502

i closed all the apps in the multi task bar, left it on overnight and it lost 15%

WTF?, used to use 2%

9. UnLiMiTeD558 thread starter macrumors 6502

So i guess because we arent iphone 4 owners, nobody gives a damn.

Awesome, great site

10. UnLiMiTeD558 thread starter macrumors 6502

HELLOOOO. Theres still a **** ton of 3g/s owners out there, i know theres more with this damn issue

11. UnLiMiTeD558 thread starter macrumors 6502

12. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

So what do you want us to say? So Your battery drains faster. So has mine since ive upgraded from 2.1 to 3.1.2.

If your looking for a fix, id say buy a iPhone 4. You do know they made the battery bigger on that phone, right?

13. UnLiMiTeD558 thread starter macrumors 6502

the whole big thing about apples ios4 and multi tasking is its set up in a way its not supposed to drain battery life. What the hell is so hard to understand about that? I live in canada so i still have a few months before an iphone 4 is released here

14. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

That isn't the only new addition OS 4 does so it seems maybe you don't understand. There are allegedly 100 new things.

15. UnLiMiTeD558 thread starter macrumors 6502

and can you name those new things that would drain battery while idling?

16. WashupDawg macrumors regular

My battery life hasn't changed since I isntalled iOS 4.0 - It still uses around the 2% over night as it did with 3.1.3. Which is quite normal, right? (3GS I'm using)

17. UnLiMiTeD558 thread starter macrumors 6502

Correct that is normal that is what mine was using as well, now it's 12% or more over night

18. pjw73nh macrumors newbie

I am very new to the iphone. This is my first one. I have owned my 3GS for about 2 months now. My use of it is very regular and consistent. Occasionally I will have a day where I use a lot of Data (3g),but mostly my use is similar day to day. I recharge every night before going to sleep. I leave my house at 7 am and return at 5 pm. The phone is on the whole time. I go to the same office, via the same roadways.

Since I upgraded to IOS4, about 3 days ago. like most people, I have lost SIGNIFICANT battery life. I used to have about 35-50% by the time I went to bed. Now I have 50% or so by 12:00 noon. I find this totally unacceptable. I rarely use the web, and I have disabled push.

Starting today (because I just found out how to do it) I dbl click the home button and close the "running" apps after each use. I am not sure if these are using battery or not, but I am closing them anyway. There MUST be an app I can install that I can just run, and have it close ALL of these "running" apps.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

19. Spyderturbo007 macrumors member

20. UnLiMiTeD558 thread starter macrumors 6502

this is just stupid, not everyone will want to or can afford to go to the iphone 4, the 3gs isnt even an old phone and its already been ruined by apple?

21. TheZodiac macrumors newbie

Man I barely used my 3GS and by 10am I'm at 70 percent ,,,WTF....iOS4 is nice but it's impossible to get a full day in from 1 charge. :mad:

22. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

I've noticed no difference. Guess I'm a lucky one? :eek:

23. detroit1 macrumors regular

maybe you should have stayed on 3.1.2 like me instead of rushing into 4.0. every upgrade fw update has bugs. more bugs than good features. dont complain to me about a new firmware. Jesus, apple will release an update when they can. obviously everyone else on here with a 3gs probly has the same problem. but if you have it and you know your battery life changed then maybe you should go to apple, not here.:mad::mad:

24. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

My battery life has been impacted by the new OS. I'm used to this, as it has happened with nearly every significant upgrade since the first upgrade to the first gen iPhone.

I just hang in there, charge more often, and figure Apple will sort it out after awhile and there will be an upgrade that fixes the problem. :)

25. TheZodiac macrumors newbie

I was just agreeing with others that iOS4 is hard on battery life. Going to hit an Apple store at lunch see what they say :D

Still love my iPhone.